U.S. to give North Korea post-summit timeline with 'asks' soon - official

webfact

U.S. to give North Korea post-summit timeline with 'asks' soon - official

By Phil Stewart

2018-06-25T003032Z_1_LYNXMPEE5O00L_RTROPTP_3_NORTHKOREA-USA.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un meet in a one-on-one bilateral session at the start of their summit at the Capella Hotel on the resort island of Sentosa, Singapore June 12, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst/File Photo

EIELSON AIR FORCE BASE, Alaska, (Reuters) - The United States will soon present a timeline to North Korea with "specific asks" of Pyongyang after a historic summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, a senior U.S. defence official said.

The official, who spoke to a small group of reporters ahead of a trip to Asia this week by Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, did not specify details but suggested that the timeline would be rapid enough to make clear Pyongyang's level of commitment.

"We'll know pretty soon if they're going to operate in good faith or not," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"There will be specific asks and there will be a specific timeline when we present the North Koreans with our concept of what implementation of the summit agreement looks like."

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said last week he would likely travel back to North Korea "before too terribly long" to try to flesh out commitments made at the June 12 summit in Singapore between Trump and Kim.

At the Singapore summit, the first meeting between a serving U.S. president and a North Korean leader, Kim reaffirmed a commitment to work towards complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, while Trump said he would halt joint U.S.-South Korean "war games."

Mattis, at the start of a week-long trip that includes stops in China, South Korea and Japan, said Trump's guidance on suspending military drills applied not just to the major Freedom Guardian exercise in August but also to two smaller Korean Marine Exchange Program training exercises.

"The large, joint, combined exercises have been suspended. ... We'll see if the continuing negotiations keep them that way," Mattis said.

Mattis arrived on Sunday in Alaska, where he will visit Fort Greely and Eielson Air Force Base, before continuing to China.

His trip there from June 26-28 will be the first by a U.S. defence secretary since 2014, and comes as Sino-U.S. tensions have heightened over trade and China's muscular military posture in the South China Sea.

North Korea is expected to be among the top items on Mattis' agenda during his talks with senior Chinese officials. He will then travel to South Korea and end his trip with talks in Japan on June 29.

Last week, China hosted North Korea's Kim. North Korean media said Chinese President Xi Jinping and Kim reached an understanding on the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula after discussing the outcome of the U.S.-North Korea summit.

Pompeo told reporters on a visit to Seoul earlier this month he would take the lead role in driving the North Korea negotiation process forward following the summit.

He said Washington hoped to achieve major disarmament by North Korea within the next 2-1/2 years, within Trump's current presidential term, which ends on Jan. 20, 2021.

(Reporting by Phil Stewart; Editing by Richard Chang)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-25

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Trump gave Kim everything, and got a little bit of hot air in exchange. Kim walked away from the table saying to his aides, why on earth do they call that guy a good negotiator? He brought nothing to the table. He is the true definition of a chump. I flattered him a bit, and he became my best friend! Such a simpleton. 

The art of not being able to make a deal to save his life. The art of being an absolutely horrible negotiator. The art of coddling dictators and despots, while shunning helpful, friendly allies, and our closest friends. The art of not being able to lead a nation, and the art of never, ever being able to make America great again. The art of making America less relevant, by the day. 

My favorite is Trump's art of playing the Left like a fiddle.

Not only does anger destroy you, it blinds you as well and makes you easy to manipulate.

For the last 2 years they've been putting on quite an amusing show for us ?

37 minutes ago, Rigby40 said:

My favorite is Trump's art of playing the Left like a fiddle.

Not only does anger destroy you, it blinds you as well and makes you easy to manipulate.

5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555! Thank you - nothing like a nice cup of drivel around lunch time:thumbsup:

Here's a piece of friendly advice; As a person who has swallowed the Swamp King's bile hook line and sinker (i.e. been manipulated) you really REALLY shouldn't accuse others of being easily manipulated.

https://psmag.com/news/inside-the-minds-of-hardcore-trump-supporters

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/12/15/16781222/trump-racism-economic-anxiety-study

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/us/politics/trump-economic-anxiety.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Becker said:

5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555! Thank you - nothing like a nice cup of drivel around lunch time:thumbsup:

Here's a piece of friendly advice; As a person who has swallowed the Swamp King's bile hook line and sinker (i.e. been manipulated) you really REALLY shouldn't accuse others of being easily manipulated.

https://psmag.com/news/inside-the-minds-of-hardcore-trump-supporters

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/12/15/16781222/trump-racism-economic-anxiety-study

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/us/politics/trump-economic-anxiety.html

And it's just about my bed time so I appreciate your sending me a post full of the same ol' uninteresting and sleep inducing nonsense.

?

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

I don't know why this issue is still being reported on. Trump has already stated that North Korea is no longer a nuclear threat and the problem is solved.

North Korea are no longer a nuclear threat , although measures need to be put in place to assure they cannot develop nuclear weapons 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, sanemax said:

North Korea are no longer a nuclear threat , although measures need to be put in place to assure they cannot develop nuclear weapons 

Is this because they've painted smiley faces on their estimated 60 nuclear weapons?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Is this because they've painted smiley faces on their estimated 60 nuclear weapons?

No, they had a meeting, Don & Kim , and they became friends and thus there is no longer a threat of war between the two

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

No, they had a meeting, Don & Kim , and they became friends and thus there is no longer a threat of war between the two

You should be writing children's books.

And in 2020 when the evil sorceress Elizabeth Warren defeats good king Donald Trump, will NK be a nuclear threat once again?

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1

I’m sure Donald knows he sold the farm for a photo op now he is festering are the trumpers going to admit there boy got played?and what will Donald do?it would be funny except nukes ate involved I hope I’m wrong but I doubt it what a fiasco 

• Like 1

Yep, that NK deal lasted all of a week or so. Aren't you glad the "Art of the Deal" guy is on top of this?

Infrastructure Improvements at North Korea’s Yongbyon Nuclear Research Facility

Commercial satellite imagery from June 21 indicates that improvements to the infrastructure at North Korea’s Yongbyon Nuclear Scientific Research Center are continuing at a rapid pace. 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2018 at 3:17 PM, sanemax said:

North Korea has reportedly increased nuclear production since summit, contradicting President Trump's claims

n the wake of his historic summit with Kim Jong Un, President Trump declared North Korea was “no longer a nuclear threat” — but more than a dozen U.S. officials poked holes in that claim Friday, revealing the isolated Communist regime has actually been escalating its nuclear proliferation efforts in recent months.

The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity with NBC News, said a previously unreported intelligence assessment compiled by the CIA and other U.S. agencies concludes North Korea has ramped up production of fuel for nuclear weapons at several secret testing sites.

North Korea is trying to placate the President and get as many concessions as possible from his administration while at the same holding on to the nuclear stockpiles it considers essential to its longevity as a nation, according to the officials.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-news-north-korea-nuclear-summit-trump-20180629-story.html

1 hour ago, Jdiddy said:

I dont think anyone with a brain really believed NK was going to throw away it's nuclear program anytime soon

It is extraordinary how many of the same people who were calling Kim a mad dog a year ago, now want to paint him as a sincere seeker of peace. No matter how many times Trump lies, his followers still believe what he says. I remember when Trump announced that black homeownership was it its highest level ever. Trumpists were swooning over the news. Not one of them bothered to do a fact check. Of course, his assertion was completely false. But they're not going to find that out on Fox news. Come to think of it, Fox News might be too left wing for lots of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

North Korea has reportedly increased nuclear production since summit, contradicting President Trump's claims

Bristolboy : How do you feel about that ?

Would you be concerned about an unstable World with NK making threats again or would your hatred of Trump take preference and you would rejoice at further tensions, because it would be a Trump failure ?

Just now, sanemax said:

Bristolboy : How do you feel about that ?

Would you be concerned about an unstable World with NK making threats again or would your hatred of Trump take preference and you would rejoice at further tensions, because it would be a Trump failure ?

Yes, it's all about me.

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Yes, it's all about me.

Its was shown that NK were making new buildings at the site , it hasnt been established what the new buildings would be used for , they could be new accommodation for the weapons inspectors

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

they could be new accommodation for the weapons inspectors

Or maybe they'll be "Tender Care" facilities.

My vote is on new accommodations for additional nuclear researchers and designers.

"U.S. intelligence agencies believe that North Korea has increased its production of fuel for nuclear weapons at multiple secret sites in recent months — and that Kim Jong Un may try to hide those facilities as he seeks more concessions in nuclear talks with the Trump administration"

"The observed activity appears inconsistent with a North Korean intent to abandon its nuclear weapons programs," said Bruce Klingner, a former CIA analyst and North Korea expert at the Heritage Foundation.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/06/29/north-korea-has-increased-nuclear-production-at-secret-sites-say-officials/23471506/

There should have been as a precursor and condition of the summit meeting at least a full and verified accounting of all nuclear weapons, production & manufacturing facilities, personnel, etc. as part of Kim's good faith to enter into negotiations. As it is the US doesn't have any baseline to measure any progress by Kim towards the spirit of denuclearization.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Its was shown that NK were making new buildings at the site , it hasnt been established what the new buildings would be used for , they could be new accommodation for the weapons inspectors

Ordinarily the optimist looks at the glass and thinks it's half full. In this case, I guess you think the reactor is half-empty.

9 hours ago, bristolboy said:

n the wake of his historic summit with Kim Jong Un, President Trump declared North Korea was “no longer a nuclear threat” — but more than a dozen U.S. officials poked holes in that claim Friday, revealing the isolated Communist regime has actually been escalating its nuclear proliferation efforts in recent months.

The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity with NBC News, said a previously unreported intelligence assessment compiled by the CIA and other U.S. agencies concludes North Korea has ramped up production of fuel for nuclear weapons at several secret testing sites.

North Korea is trying to placate the President and get as many concessions as possible from his administration while at the same holding on to the nuclear stockpiles it considers essential to its longevity as a nation, according to the officials.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-news-north-korea-nuclear-summit-trump-20180629-story.html

Turns out the story can't be true. So far, foxnews.com makes absolutely no mention of it.