What do you do during long bus/minibus rides?

Hal65

When traveling solo, I buy two tickets so I don't have to sit next to a fat git like me. I call it my "poor man's limo."

You can get an external battery pack for a tablet that will let you load up on books and should last you one way of the trek.

Bus: Try to sit on the "downsun" side of the bus, look out the window and think about what has been, is, and might be.

Minibus: (Before I stopped using them) Sit and be scared, repeatedly assume crash position, occasionally shout at the driver.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

First of all make sure you ask for a seat as far from the tv screen as possible.

That of course is if you don't want your eardrums shattered by one of the inane Thai comedy shows which are always played on long trips.

"Ching Roi Ching Lan"?

Brilliant!

The true essence and magic of Thailand:

CHING ROI CHING LAN WOW WOW WOW - YouTube

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Books are a wonderful invention. They don't even need batteries.

Reading while moving makes me feel ill.

Just look at the passing scenery. The scenery is why we are in LOS, isn't it? Even at night, I enjoy looking at the Thai life I see.

If a night journey, most people sleep at least part of it.

Some of the comments on this thread are silly. I've done may long distance bus trips and none had any problems, except the one or two when I got fooled into taking a private or tourist bus. The government buses are well run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Reading while moving makes me feel ill.

Just look at the passing scenery. The scenery is why we are in LOS, isn't it? Even at night, I enjoy looking at the Thai life I see.

If a night journey, most people sleep at least part of it.

Some of the comments on this thread are silly. I've done may long distance bus trips and none had any problems, except the one or two when I got fooled into taking a private or tourist bus. The government buses are well run.

It seems some people can read books while traveling, others just can't do it - headache.

I can read books in busses and I like it.

Recently my girlfriend gave me her tablet with ear phones in a taxi. I used it for maybe 20 minutes. After that I had headache for hours. I won't do that one again...

• Like 1

Did you ever drive in Thailand? If you rent a car then you better rent one including driver.

Not this old chestnut. I think everybody is old enough to decide by themselves.
Personally I find it more annoying with a driver than driving by myself.

Motorbikes can be had for as little as 100-200 per day plus gas in Pattaya. But then you get not only the long commute, but the drive.
If there would be secondary roads instead of only one highway I would more often take the motorcycle.
But for example to get to the south of Thailand you must use the highway which is just boring.
Going up north similar though you have more choices.

I never sleep on long journeys, even overnight.

I enjoy looking out the window a bit but for the most part I will listen to podcasts on my headphones, I tend to listen a bit and then relax sitting and looking out the window and then listen to some more.

Nothing special

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, Razzler1973 said:

I never sleep on long journeys, even overnight.

I enjoy looking out the window a bit but for the most part I will listen to podcasts on my headphones, I tend to listen a bit and then relax sitting and looking out the window and then listen to some more.

Nothing special

I get really annoyed on buses when all the locals close the curtains and go to sleep. It doesn't even have to be sunny on their side to close the curtains. If they aren't asleep they will be on their machines. I rarely see a local looking at the scenery.

I try to avoid the problem by getting a seat by the window, but usually end up by a pillar, so still don't get a good view.

I get really annoyed on buses when all the locals close the curtains and go to sleep. It doesn't even have to be sunny on their side to close the curtains. If they aren't asleep they will be on their machines. I rarely see a local looking at the scenery.
I try to avoid the problem by getting a seat by the window, but usually end up by a pillar, so still don't get a good view.

Probably the locals have seen it all before, the rubbish on the roadside.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app