Putin-Trump summit on agenda as John Bolton holds Moscow talks

webfact

Putin-Trump summit on agenda as John Bolton holds Moscow talks

By Andrew Osborn

2018-06-26T230904Z_1_LYNXMPEE5P2F9_RTROPTP_3_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a lunch meeting with Republican members of Congress at the White House in Washington, U.S., June 26, 2018. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

MOSCOW (Reuters) - U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton is expected in Moscow on Wednesday for talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and possibly Vladimir Putin, part of an effort to lay the ground for a summit between Putin and President Donald Trump.

Bolton, whom the Kremlin regards as an arch Russia hawk, is due to give a news conference after his meetings at 1630 GMT, where he might name the date and location of a summit, which the Kremlin has been trying to make happen for months.

Trump congratulated Putin by phone in March after the Russian leader's landslide re-election victory and said the two would meet soon. However, the Russians have since complained about the difficulty of setting up such a meeting.

Relations between Washington and Moscow are languishing at a post-Cold War low. They are at odds over Syria, Ukraine, allegations of Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, and accusations Moscow was behind the poisoning of a former Russian spy in Britain in March.

Expectations for the outcome of any Putin-Trump summit are therefore low, even though Trump said before he was elected that he wanted to improve battered U.S.-Russia ties and the two men occasionally make positive statements about each other.

The Kremlin said on Tuesday it wanted to talk about international security and stability, disarmament, regional problems and bilateral ties. It did not rule out a meeting between Bolton and Putin, but did not confirm one either.

DETAILS UNCLEAR

The summit is expected to take place around the second half of July after Trump attends a NATO summit in Brussels and visits Britain. It is unclear where it would be held, with Vienna and Helsinki cited as possible venues.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said at the weekend he expected Bolton's Moscow visit to lead to a summit "in the not too distant future." He said Washington was "trying to find places where we had overlapping interests, but protecting American interest where we do not.”

Such a summit, if it happened, would be likely to cause irritation in parts of the West, where countries such as Britain want to isolate Putin. It would also go down badly among Trump's foreign and domestic critics, who question his commitment to NATO and fret over his desire to rebuild ties with Russia even as Washington continues to tighten sanctions on Moscow.

The United States initially sanctioned Russia over its 2014 annexation of Ukraine's Crimea and its backing for a pro-Russian uprising in eastern Ukraine. Subsequent sanctions have punished Moscow for what Washington has called its malign behaviour and meddling in U.S. politics, something Russia denies.

Some Trump critics say Russia has not significantly altered its behaviour since 2014 and should therefore not be given the prestige that a summit would confer.

(Editing by Larry King)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-27

"Some Trump critics say Russia has not significantly altered its behaviour since 2014 and should therefore not be given the prestige that a summit would confer".

The way things stand politically  in America, most definitely, I think it would be less stress for conservatives and liberals ,until the Mueller Russian Investigation comes to a end,to hold any kind of meeting or summit .To many opportunities for his opponents to accuse PT of fixing something!  Sad! it has to be that way.

Edited by riclag

Expect trump to be utterly dominated and mesmerised by the hideous but effective putin. 

About all bolton is good for.

Sorting out hotels and travel arrangements.

Wonder if trump will have any 'stormy wet weather girls' in his russian hotel room this time?

Edited by Expatthailover
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

Expect trump to be utterly dominated and mesmerised by the hideous but effective putin. 

About all bolton is good for.

Sorting out hotels and travel arrangements.

Wonder if trump will have any 'stormy wet weather girls' in his russian hotel room this time?

Nothing wrong with havin fun

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I guess without Jared's (or Erik Prince's) "Back-Channel" Trump needs to get his orders in person.

What does that have to do with the possible summit in this topic?

• Haha 1

This guy and Russia

Who cares about Russia. We are not in a cold war, Humpty. We trade with them less than we do Chile. Russia' main exports are energy. What with fracking and oil in the price dumspter, maybe Sable will be a big winner in New York next fall.

For all Americans out there better watch your mutual funds as we are now heading into stage 1 of a trade war. This is being led by an ADD , semi senile President who can't read a page in a book. I keep some cash stashed, but I should have made a trip to Super Rick last week and dump my 2K house currency. It's slide is only going to escalate. 

3 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

This guy and Russia

Who cares about Russia. We are not in a cold war, Humpty. We trade with them less than we do Chile. Russia' main exports are energy. What with fracking and oil in the price dumspter, maybe Sable will be a big winner in New York next fall.

For all Americans out there better watch your mutual funds as we are now heading into stage 1 of a trade war. This is being led by an ADD , semi senile President who can't read a page in a book. I keep some cash stashed, but I should have made a trip to Super Rick last week and dump my 2K house currency. It's slide is only going to escalate. 

That"s what the thread is about,Russia summit

Edited by riclag

2 hours ago, riclag said:

What does that have to do with the possible summit in this topic?

That now he needs to go in person, and not anymore via Jared's backchannel. (I don't believe in that backchannel BTW, but do think your post shows you don't understand the issues).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That now he needs to go in person, and not anymore via Jared's backchannel. (I don't believe in that backchannel BTW, but do think your post shows you don't understand the issues).

I think my first post was spot on , the hyperbole is starting already and the meeting hasn't taken place yet

• Confused 2

The more people and the world leaders talk, face to face, the better.

USA is not going to give anything away, but having a meeting between Trump and Putin. Kim Jong Un might have thought meeting with the president of USA was a great achievement, the rest of the world thinks, well.. it's a meeting between two world leaders.

6 hours ago, riclag said:

The way things stand politically  in America, most definitely, I think it would be less stress for conservatives and liberals ,until the Mueller Russian Investigation comes to a end,to hold any kind of meeting or summit .To many opportunities for his opponents to accuse PT of fixing something!  Sad! it has to be that way.

Why a summit  ... are we at war? are we in the middle of a cold war?  How about a summit with the Chinese Premier - as in someone who matters not a dictator of basket case country that ranks below Chile in trade with the US. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Why a summit  ... are we at war? are we in the middle of a cold war?  How about a summit with the Chinese Premier - as in someone who matters not a dictator of basket case country that ranks below Chile in trade with the US. 

You kind of are in at war. It wasn't many months ago, when USA bombed and killed up to 300 Russian solders in Syria.

Fortunately Russia didn't officially sent the troops to fight there. 

What would happen, if Russia would kill said 300 US solders in one of these proxy wars, these two countries like to play? What would be the reaction in the USA?

Normally, I would think such a meeting would be a good thing. But "trump" is bizarre and about anything Russia, especially so. It's obvious that there are financial crimes that he is guilty of related to Russia over the course of his dirty con man business career if nothing else.

But even worse, and I'm sorry I can't provide the link, I recall reading a credible report about the way the "trump" mind "works" in relation to foreign leaders. A good example is with Kim. He's trying to sell this big lie that just because they made nice nice in Singapore and signed a totally meaningless no strings document, that NK is no longer a threat because he has a good personal relationship with him. Relating to Putin, the quote I read is that "trump" actually said if he could meet with Putin and get friendly, he could just ask him, good buddy dictator to good buddy emerging dictator, to withdraw from Crimea and stop the bad stuff in Syria simply based on the personal relationship. That is INSANE! Americans can't be rid of this dangerously incompetent and mentally deranged buffoon soon enough. 

8 hours ago, oilinki said:

You kind of are in at war. It wasn't many months ago, when USA bombed and killed up to 300 Russian solders in Syria.

Fortunately Russia didn't officially sent the troops to fight there. 

What would happen, if Russia would kill said 300 US solders in one of these proxy wars, these two countries like to play? What would be the reaction in the USA?

If they were mercenaries, like the Russians, not much.