Top Ten foods to try in Thailand

webfact

Top Ten foods to try in Thailand

By Donna Toon

07-Fried-rice.jpg

Thailand is known around the world not only for it’s breath taking scenery, beautiful hosts but also for their food. Fresh and vibrant, the local food in Thailand is cheap and it is amazing. On the street or in a fancy restaurant, it’s all good.

Be brave. Buy from the side of the road like the locals do, it will be the best meal you’ve had today. There is so much to sample and taste if you are willing to put yourself out of your comfort zone. Just remember one term “Mai Phet”, no chill please!

Here is, in no particular order, our Top Ten foods to try in Thailand….

1. Khao Soi Gai (Spicy Noodle Chicken Soup)

Khao Soi Gai originates from the cooler climate of the North, in the cultural city of Chiang Mai, therefore a hot and spicy soup is just the ticket. Without a doubt my favourite dish in Thailand, even though this is in no particular order, it sits at number one for good reason. The spicy broth, with the steamed chicken and the crispy noodles on top are delicious. The dish is traditionally served with lime, shallots, pickled mustard and chilli for individual taste and flavour.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/top-ten-foods-to-try-in-thailand

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-06-27
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Good list, of course there are many more.

Number 4 says Chai yen. Wouldn't that actually be Cha yen? And even more likely Cha nohm, by the way they describe it.

Yes certainly not Chai, but Cha. I admit I can't read Thai but I can speak it well enough to comment in this case.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Good list, of course there are many more.

Number 4 says Chai yen. Wouldn't that actually be Cha yen? And even more likely Cha nohm, by the way they describe it.

agreed. it should actually be "cha nom yen" to differentiate it from "cha dam yen"

#2 durian has several varieties. "monthong" is the one to try

#8 picture shows "som tum poo", but the one described is "som tum thai"

3 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

There are soooo many more tastier and delicious dishes, drinks and fruits that could have been listed........

i have a few in mind:

- krathong thong

- kaeng som cha-om

- pla chon thod with mango salad

- pad thai hor khai kung sot

- pad kai met mamuang

- pad pak-waan pla salit

• Like 2

Those food items seems all, except Som Tam, to be dishes from Southern Thailand. Missing all the goodies like Nam Tok Moo etc from Isaan as well as the delicious Muslim foods like Massaman and Murtabak.

Oh.. and the delicious vegetarian dishes, which are quite hard to find in Phuket.

8 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

There are soooo many more tastier and delicious dishes, drinks and fruits that could have been listed........

My thoughts exactly. I hesitate to call coconuts and durian Thai foods.

I like the Thai salads. Yum Pla Foo is one of my favorites along with Yum Wen Soon Talay. Of course, some of their seafood dishes are excellent, my favorite is Kung Num Manao. Some of the pork or beef dishes are nice, like Larb Nua or Mu. Their soups; Tom Yam Kung or Kuay Tiao Nua.  And, of course, desserts, Khao Neeao Mamuong 

6 hours ago, tifino said:

I'm drooling for some more Pu Nim

image.jpeg.c67aa8385462742fe2b76ea03c64b2cc.jpeg

Yeah, softshell crab is good, but is it Thai food? I first ate them deep fried in Southern Maryland. Of course, many of the "Thai" foods are more regional, like Kway Tiao, Ca Mu, or even Pad Thai.

• 2 weeks later...