Bringing orchids back to Australia

Kraig62

I dont think you can...Try contacting the Customs dept, at the point of entry, BEFORE you try to do...My missus accidently had a petal from a flower in her coat pocket, when we arrived in Brisbane...Wow! was that an experience for sure...We looked like getting a $3000 fine, but worked it out thankfully...

They are VERY strict about this, so be warned...contact them first.

Edited by weegee
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, weegee said:

I dont think you can...Try contacting the Customs dept, at the point of entry, BEFORE you try to do...My missus accidently had a petal from a flower in her coat pocket, when we arrived in Brisbane...Wow! was that an experience for sure...We looked like getting a $3000 fine, but worked it out thankfully...

They are VERY strict about this, so be warned...contact them first.

Wow! Luckily you could rectify the situation. I’m glad I asked.

You cannot. Not a chance as a returning tourist/resident. Huge fines and maybe even gaol if caught trying to hide it/them.

These are the rules to import plants.

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/import/goods/plant-products/how-to-import-plants

If you want specific orchid/s for some reason, your best bet is to try and find a Thai company that is an approved exporter of Orchids to Australia, and buy/risk it at this end.

Buying them in Australia is very very expensive.

• Like 1

sorry mate but no you cant, you will need an import permit , AQIS inspections on them arriving, fumigation and minimum 3 months quarantine ,(can be much longer)in a booked facility. Due to Xylella Fastidiosa  you also need an extra declaration, you would be much better off getting a bottle of tissue culture ones as you do not need all the extra requirements as long as it is from an approved tissue culture laboratory. Only costs you a few dollars to have it passed but you may still need an import permit, really needs to be organized before you visit, I  imported plants into Australia for many years when I lived there so know exactly what it involves and keep up with all the regulations, its not an easy process, Perth and Melbourne have the only govt q houses as well so not easy to actually get space to quarantine them. Costs are prohibitive, permit is around $150, so is the fumigation, q house is around $3 a day per half sq mtr from  memory, inspection is $45 per 15 minutes(at least 2 required, can be more) and the plants are not guaranteed of ever being approved/released

Edited by seajae
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, seajae said:

I  imported plants into Australia for many years when I lived there so know exactly what it involves and keep up with all the regulations, its not an easy process

Great answer.  

Just curious, how do importers deal with fresh flowers that start wilting within days?

2 hours ago, dddave said:

Great answer.  

Just curious, how do importers deal with fresh flowers that start wilting within days?

they are pre arranged and from approved facilities, flowers can also be sprayed to stop them from wilting too quickly as well, they do not go through quarantine. These days most of the flowers(orchids etc) in Australia come form the Northern Territory

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1