Saturday Night on Nimmanhamin===LAME!

heybruce

52 minutes ago, Puwa said:

That's the spirit. You guys can choose the place and I'll meet you there.

Ground rules:

1. This is all in good fun.

2. I am not interested in your real identity and will respect your privacy and confidentiality.

3. The point of this excursion is to verify the ability of CM TVF members who tout their mastery of nightlife to show their chops.

4. The events in this pentathalon will include identifying female persons, approaching them, charming them with wit, persuading them to spend some time chatting, and securing some kind of follow-up.

5. Obviously we're talking about non-pros. In other words, no points for getting a frerlancer's number.

6. I will report back to the forum with the fairest and most accurate account I can deliver.

Thursday night looks good to me. You guys decide on a place. As I said, I'll kick in a couple of rounds but I'm not going to sponsor your whole night out.

If you want to take part, PM me by 10pm today and we'll work out the deets among ourselves. Max 3 punters not including myself.

Onward!

Once again, you are trying to make this topic about something it isn't.  If it were about picking up women it would say so in the title.  I also note that you are setting yourself up as the referee and mention nothing about participating.

Regarding women I have a comfortable situation I don't want to change. I won't go into details, I'll just say that it involves attractive younger women who aren't full time partners.   I've learned from experience that living with a woman 24/7 drives me up the wall.

Like most men, I'm always open to expanding my horizons with regard to women.  However the concern stated on this topic is that the fun places where I can go with friends or chat with pretties are getting harder to find and less convenient to get to.  But if Puwa wants to set up a night in a good place for socializing with people other than tourists or old expats, I'll happily go along.

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Correction... you assume some people think time spent with a pretty woman is wasted if you can't rent her for the night.

Personally, the whole pretty artifice is way, way over rated and that's NOT because there no chance of bedding them. It's an affection designed solely for Thai blokes with a bit of extra liquidity to feel favored and appreciated by pretty young girls. An expensive ego trip. It's all puff and artifice and is in no way a guarantee of polite, courteous or even knowledgeable service. However, the place will be air conditioned and you can still 'lech' at them... or lie and say you don't. If they are working in a bar that has ambiance, good music, a decent menu and a cook in the kitchen that can fulfill culinary requests, then the pretties are a bonus. My look at reviews of oxide indicates that just like a gazillion other Thai pubs with pretties, it is NOT all that.

The best professional wait service I had in bar was in the Havana Club cigar bar in the lobby of the Concorde in KL. The 4 regular waitresses, all easy on the eye, were trained and fully conversant with types of cigars and knew how to match a customers needs with what they had in their huge walk-in humidor. They even knew how to correctly pre-light your cigar for you. Only ever had that before at a divan in New Orleans. Now, how many pretties can tell if the punter relaxing in the corner is a Chang man, a draft Tiger guy or a Belgian IPA aficionado... or if it even matters? How many care? Until it's time for tips of course.

I guess as long as the punters tip like Bill Gates, then they're alright... even the older farang sat in the other corner, nursing a Leo and licking his eyebrows.

Those places are called karaokes, and I don't go there.

44 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I said some.

some.jpg.20bb2170197d4ff97dff29b60e1928f9.jpg

You insist I said prevalent.

prevalent.jpg.0ad7fa2cc3e1c8606ad8379012136ff5.jpg

Comprehension anyone?

I see, even though you have consistently been posting about pretties as prostitutes, you never intended these posts to indicate that prostitution is prevalent among pretties.  You need to work on your communication skills.

I take it you agree with me that while some pretties may engage in prostitution, it is rare and does not occur when they are working as pretties.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

I was never made to feel unwelcome in them.

Yes, I gathered that already. But looking at a fair few reviews on just oxide, your experience isn't a common one. Granted, some customers may have been looking for some other sort of action but when the food and service also gets panned and the clamor for a tip is mentioned more than once, it's kind of telling.

Getting back to the crux of the matter and moontang's take on these places historically never bringing in the farangs in any number; I asked earlier if this a seasonal lull or is a perceptible, ongoing, year-by-year diminishing of such alternative places of evening dining and entertainment?

Serious question... I'm so over the functionality of pretties debate. You've already confirmed my earlier contention that the greed of some landlord's can be the ultimate decider on a place staying open, regardless of how fun or cosy or downright good it was.

Edited by NanLaew

Those places are called karaokes, and I don't go there.

What places are karaokes? The ones where I describe these Thai pubs as "an affection designed solely for Thai blokes with a bit of extra liquidity to feel favored and appreciated by pretty young girls."? I was talking about your typical Thai pub where most patrons have a late-model sedan, possibly even a 3-series Beemer valet parked.

Yes, karaoke's are where the low-end of the male social strata go for alcohol and 'entertainment' including getting laid. There's usually room for their beat up, works pickup somewhere round the back.

I wasn't talking about those places at all... unless CM has a unique derivative of the national model of a hole in the wall with twinkling lights, low tables, paying for sex with indifferent young girls and cheap beer.

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, I gathered that already. But looking at a fair few reviews on just oxide, your experience isn't a common one. Granted, some customers may have been looking for some other sort of action but when the food and service also gets panned and the clamor for a tip is mentioned more than once, it's kind of telling.

Getting back to the crux of the matter and moontang's take on these places historically never bringing in the farangs in any number; I asked earlier if this a seasonal lull or is a perceptible, ongoing, year-by-year diminishing of such alternative places of evening dining and entertainment?

Serious question... I'm so over the functionality of pretties debate. You've already confirmed my earlier contention that the greed of some landlord's can be the ultimate decider on a place staying open, regardless of how fun or cosy or downright good it was.

I and others have repeatedly stated that Nimmanhamin was much better several years ago.  Many popular establishments that have been closed and replaced with crap have been mentioned by name.  Isn't it clear this isn't a seasonal thing?

I was not thinking specifically about Oxide when I posted that I was never made to feel unwelcome.  I was a repeat customer at many of the businesses that are now gone, and I was never a repeat customer at a place that made me feel unwelcome.

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

What places are karaokes? The ones where I describe these Thai pubs as "an affection designed solely for Thai blokes with a bit of extra liquidity to feel favored and appreciated by pretty young girls."? I was talking about your typical Thai pub where most patrons have a late-model sedan, possibly even a 3-series Beemer valet parked.

Yes, karaoke's are where the low-end of the male social strata go for alcohol and 'entertainment' including getting laid. There's usually room for their beat up, works pickup somewhere round the back.

I wasn't talking about those places at all... unless CM has a unique derivative of the national model of a hole in the wall with twinkling lights, low tables, paying for sex with indifferent young girls and cheap beer.

In Chiang Mai (remember, this is a Chiang Mai topic) the places you described are karaokes.  I know of no pubs in this city that fit that description.

I see, even though you have consistently been posting about pretties as prostitutes, you never intended these posts to indicate that prostitution is prevalent among pretties.  You need to work on your communication skills.

I take it you agree with me that while some pretties may engage in prostitution, it is rare and does not occur when they are working as pretties.

I have to laugh at your suggestion that just because they are pretties they won't go with a guy that they like and isn't averse to chucking them a bit of filthy lucre.

In my experience, a girl's reluctance to indulge in a bit of horizontal folk dancing is in inverse proportion to the guy's wealth, and willingness to share it. Old Hugh Heffner wasn't short of willing young women even when he was at death's door, and I doubt Jagger has any problems pulling.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:00 PM, heybruce said:

And your answer implied that all pretties are prostitutes because you know of three Bangkok pretties who were prostitutes.  Your assumption is wrong.

No, I assume because I have a reasonably good grasp of reality.

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

I and others have repeatedly stated that Nimmanhamin was much better several years ago.  Many popular establishments that have been closed and replaced with crap have been mentioned by name.  Isn't it clear this isn't a seasonal thing?

I was not thinking specifically about Oxide when I posted that I was never made to feel unwelcome.  I was a repeat customer at many of the businesses that are now gone, and I was never a repeat customer at a place that made me feel unwelcome.

No, it wasn't clear as you have posed these questions in the middle of low season and yours and the comments from others on former 'good' bars and clubs closing doesn't indicate if they shuttered in December or July.

Since Chiang Mai, like most other provincial capitals must be growing in population, what is replacing these traditional venues. If Nimmanhamin is slowly 'going dark', is it due to an unspoken but known redevelopment plan for the area? That could explain landlords hiking rents to make a killing if suddenly the whole area gets bulldozed for some other inner-city 'improvement'.

FWIW, the trendy pubs in Udon Thani also seem to have a short shelf life. Plenty of moneyed locals up here and the new ones are heaving when they first open. The Udon police have traditionally been a huge modifier of the after-hours scene insamuch as they have been known to get places shuttered for even the slightest violation of opening hours.

Regardless, where are the young single Thai males in CM going now? Or is the whole brew pub enterprise way too expensive (the Thai economy is a bit of a basket case and a lot of young professionals are already living on stretched credit) so other forms of entertainment, even home entertainment, may be cheaper?

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:14 PM, heybruce said:

"The difference between hookers and pretties would only be the price."

I'd say TBL clearly stated all pretties are prostitutes, which is what I've been disputing.

Stop claiming I said something I didn't.

Everyone has a price. I'm anyone's for a million baht.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

No, it wasn't clear as you have posed these questions in the middle of low season and yours and the comments from others on former 'good' bars and clubs closing doesn't indicate if they shuttered in December or July.

Since Chiang Mai, like most other provincial capitals must be growing in population, what is replacing these traditional venues. If Nimmanhamin is slowly 'going dark', is it due to an unspoken but known redevelopment plan for the area? That could explain landlords hiking rents to make a killing if suddenly the whole area gets bulldozed for some other inner-city 'improvement'.

FWIW, the trendy pubs in Udon Thani also seem to have a short shelf life. Plenty of moneyed locals up here and the new ones are heaving when they first open. The Udon police have traditionally been a huge modifier of the after-hours scene insamuch as they have been known to get places shuttered for even the slightest violation of opening hours.

Regardless, where are the young single Thai males in CM going now? Or is the whole brew pub enterprise way too expensive (the Thai economy is a bit of a basket case and a lot of young professionals are already living on stretched credit) so other forms of entertainment, even home entertainment, may be cheaper?

They probably don't want a load of farangs spoiling the place, so wherever they go, it won't be posted on here.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have to laugh at your suggestion that just because they are pretties they won't go with a guy that they like and isn't averse to chucking them a bit of filthy lucre.

In my experience, a girl's reluctance to indulge in a bit of horizontal folk dancing is in inverse proportion to the guy's wealth, and willingness to share it. Old Hugh Heffner wasn't short of willing young women even when he was at death's door, and I doubt Jagger has any problems pulling.

Woman all over the world prefer men of means to those who have little.  If you think that makes all these women prostitutes, I'll let you explain that to them.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, heybruce said:

In Chiang Mai (remember, this is a Chiang Mai topic) the places you described are karaokes.  I know of no pubs in this city that fit that description.

Still unclear as I stated Thai pubs as being "an affection designed solely for Thai blokes with a bit of extra liquidity to feel favored and appreciated by pretty young girls."  I also SEPARATELY described the typical Thai karaoke knocking shop.

Which one are you saying does not exist in CM?

Just because YOU don't look at pretties in the traditional Thai pub as possible bed mates, it is folly to assume that the typical young Thai professional with a bit of a silver tongue, good looking and a healthy tipper doesn't look for after-hours opportunities with these charming hostesses. Pretty much most red-blooded males will be the same.

Now, back ON TOPIC... why do you think there's been a decline in your favorite style of inner-city CM watering hole over the years?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No, I assume because I have a reasonably good grasp of reality.

Just to be clear, for NanLaew's benefit, are you saying all pretties are prostitutes?

Also, when is the last time you met and talked to a pretty?  Not a bar girl, a young women serving beer in a regular bar while wearing clothes with the name and logo of a drinks company on it.

On 7/6/2018 at 2:12 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. The difference between hookers and pretties would only be the price. However, believe the myth if it makes you feel better.

There are photos on TVF of 3 young pretties from a famous Bkk beer garden that went to Samui with a customer. I'm sure he wasn't paying them for their beer pouring skills.

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Stop claiming I said something I didn't.

Everyone has a price. I'm anyone's for a million baht.

Certainly seemed like you were calling all pretties prostitutes earlier.  Or is your position that if a woman sells sex for a high price she isn't a prostitute?

15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If you want a summary of the last ten years of economic change in Chiang Mai you'll have to research that yourself.

As noted earlier in this topic, there are still places that Thais and foreignors of all ages go to (primarily young Thais), but they have dispersed.  Nimmanhamin used to be the place where you had many appealing restaurants and bars within easy walking distance of each other, that is no longer the case.

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They probably don't want a load of farangs spoiling the place, so wherever they go, it won't be posted on here.

I've met the owners of some of these places, they were happy to have relatively big-spending foreigners there.

Rather than condemn these places in ignorance, why don't you visit them and inform yourself?

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL, of course I can tell from the picture. Just because you can't doesn't mean it's not possible.

As already noted, I've been there.  So have others.  Also as noted, the women in the picture worked there.  Find someone who's been to Milk Club who has found a ladyboy there.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Still unclear as I stated Thai pubs as being "an affection designed solely for Thai blokes with a bit of extra liquidity to feel favored and appreciated by pretty young girls."  I also SEPARATELY described the typical Thai karaoke knocking shop.

Which one are you saying does not exist in CM?

Just because YOU don't look at pretties in the traditional Thai pub as possible bed mates, it is folly to assume that the typical young Thai professional with a bit of a silver tongue, good looking and a healthy tipper doesn't look for after-hours opportunities with these charming hostesses. Pretty much most red-blooded males will be the same.

Now, back ON TOPIC... why do you think there's been a decline in your favorite style of inner-city CM watering hole over the years?

I first mentioned karaokes when you were describing pubs in places other than Chiang Mai.  Try to keep up.

I never posted that men don't turn on the charm, flash some cash, and try to meet the pretties outside of work.  In fact, at some point early in this topic I posted the opposite.  That happens all over the world.

I have simply and consistently maintained that these women are not working as prostitutes when they are working as pretties.  Also I have no reason to think these women are working as prostitutes in what little free time they have.   Hoping to find a man of means to take care of them, maybe.  Trying to rent their bodies for cash, no, not the majority of them.

Back on topic, go to the beginning of the topic and read those posts pertaining to nightlife on Nimmanhamin.  If you have any further questions, ask them here.

Edited by heybruce

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

Just to be clear, for NanLaew's benefit, are you saying all pretties are prostitutes?

Also, when is the last time you met and talked to a pretty?  Not a bar girl, a young women serving beer in a regular bar while wearing clothes with the name and logo of a drinks company on it.

I don't go in regular bars, but I have been in gogos with pretties. They were too busy dancing to talk to me, but I'm not rich enough to attract their attention. If an Asian man expressed an interest, they were over to him quick quick.

I've met the owners of some of these places, they were happy to have relatively big-spending foreigners there.

Rather than condemn these places in ignorance, why don't you visit them and inform yourself?

Given I've actually been in Thai night clubs, the local lads spent far more than any Farangs I've known would be prepared to on a night out.

Certainly seemed like you were calling all pretties prostitutes earlier.  Or is your position that if a woman sells sex for a high price she isn't a prostitute?

An answer would require more time than I'm prepared to spend on an off topic subject.

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't go in regular bars, but I have been in gogos with pretties. They were too busy dancing to talk to me, but I'm not rich enough to attract their attention. If an Asian man expressed an interest, they were over to him quick quick.

So you don't know the difference between a bar girl in a go-go and a pretty.  That explains a lot about your posts.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given I've actually been in Thai night clubs, the local lads spent far more than any Farangs I've known would be prepared to on a night out.

As you've stated, you don't go into regular bars.  Those are pretty much the only kind I go into.  You should try it.