Chaos in Merkel's coalition after Seehofer dangles resignation

webfact

Chaos in Merkel's coalition after Seehofer dangles resignation

By Joseph Nasr and Madeline Chambers

2018-07-02T073914Z_1_LYNXMPEE610F3_RTROPTP_3_EUROPE-MIGRANTS-GERMANY.JPG

German Chancellor Angela Merkel talks to secretary general Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer before a Christian Democratic Union (CDU) leadership meeting in Berlin, Germany, July 2, 2018. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke

BERLIN (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Monday will make a last-ditch effort to end a migration row with her conservative allies by holding more talks with her interior minister, whose offer to resign cast doubt over whether her fragile government can survive.

Horst Seehofer offered to quit his ministerial post and the chairmanship of the Bavarian Christian Social Union (CSU) at a marathon party meeting on Sunday to discuss whether immigration proposals Merkel brought back from Brussels last week were acceptable.

But he was then persuaded by party colleagues to have one more meeting with Merkel on Monday to try to resolve the long-standing row and said he would make his final decision within three days.

Merkel's Christian Democrats (CDU) relies on the CSU to maintain power through a coalition, also including the Social Democrats (SPD), formed three months ago after an election in September.

Germany's political crisis is the latest sign of a growing divide across the EU between those who want to maintain open borders and those who want to restrict the number of migrants entering the bloc.

The ructions in Berlin were putting pressure on the euro early on Monday while Germany's top share index opened more than one percent lower.

Officials from the Bavaria-based CSU accused Merkel of rejecting several compromise proposals made by Seehofer to heal the rift with her own CDU.

Seehofer, who has demanded that Merkel toughen her open-doors refugee policy, told colleagues on Sunday that in spite of the measures agreed with EU leaders, he saw no alternative to turning some migrants back at the border. Merkel rejects this.

In an extremely fluid situation, Merkel and Seehofer are due to meet later in the day and before that, a joint session of the parliamentary groups of the CSU and CDU is due to take place, although there was some doubt if it would go ahead.

Crucially for Merkel, CDU lawmakers are backing her - so far.

Hans-Peter Friedrich, a member of the CSU leadership, said that Merkel's rejections of compromises submitted by Seehofer suggested she was happy to see him go.

"Now it depends on whether Horst Seehofer draws his own conclusions," Friedrich told Deutschlandfunk public broadcaster. "Her attitude feeds the suspicion that she would happily accept Horst Seehofer's resignation."

CSU leaders are divided over how to face down a challenge from the anti-immigration Alternative for Germany (AfD) in October's regional election.

Seehofer told party colleagues at an executive committee meeting on Sunday that discussions with Merkel had been fruitless, according to a party source.

One possibility is for the 70-year old CDU and CSU alliance to split which would rob Merkel of her parliamentary majority. This could see to her trying to lead a minority government, or possibly new elections.

(Editing by Toby Chopra)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-02

The way this is going it makes me wonder what has it got to do with democratic leadership?

Democracies are I thought by the people for the people.

Merkel seems to be more of a dictator or want to be emperor. 

She is in power by bargaining. Not a true representative of democracy. More  a show of a leader who will not  relinquish her power but is not really elected by the people. 

She is determined to shove her way things are done down the throats of the German's whether they like it or not. 

I cannot wait to see her gone.And real representatives of the populace take power who ever that will be.

Edited by lovelomsak
  • Like 1

Merkel should do the decent thing and resign as has been in power far too long, and thus become out-of-touch. Fresh elections without her and see what happens is best for Germany imo. Perhaps it's time for others to have a go as she has had her chance (13 years is too long). 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

The way this is going it makes me wonder what has it got to do with democratic leadership?

Democracies are I thought by the people for the people.

Merkel seems to be more of a dictator or want to be emperor. 

She is in power by bargaining. Not a true representative of democracy. More  a show of a leader who will not  relinquish her power but is not really elected by the people. 

She is determined to shove her way things are done down the throats of the German's whether they like it or not. 

I cannot wait to see her gone.And real representatives of the populace take power who ever that will be.

I would guess that being elected is a clue. And other than in some posters fantasies, Merkel was was elected. There's no requirement to achieve a majority. Coalitions are acceptable. Democracies feature various points of view, not just those favored by posters. Being "in power by bargaining" is the norm in many democratic systems allowing coalitions.

Do tell how she wasn't "really elected" by the people? Last I checked there were quite a few Germans who did vote for her. In fact, still the leading candidate and party.

As for "real representatives of the populace" guess these would be the guys who got even less support than Merkel - but anyway, then "taking power" rather than being elected doesn't sound promising.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Morch said:

I would guess that being elected is a clue. And other than in some posters fantasies, Merkel was was elected. There's no requirement to achieve a majority. Coalitions are acceptable. Democracies feature various points of view, not just those favored by posters. Being "in power by bargaining" is the norm in many democratic systems allowing coalitions.

Do tell how she wasn't "really elected" by the people? Last I checked there were quite a few Germans who did vote for her. In fact, still the leading candidate and party.

As for "real representatives of the populace" guess these would be the guys who got even less support than Merkel - but anyway, then "taking power" rather than being elected doesn't sound promising.

Maybe the fact that she's prepared to try and do a deal with anyone, regardless of policies, to stay in power gives a hint.

Was she personally specifically get elected to the role of Chancellor. Or was that more to do with her party's manifesto which she's quite happy to negotiate on to keep herself in power.

The fact the right is rising suggests a great many are fed up with that behavior.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Maybe the fact that she's prepared to try and do a deal with anyone, regardless of policies, to stay in power gives a hint.

Was she personally specifically get elected to the role of Chancellor. Or was that more to do with her party's manifesto which she's quite happy to negotiate on to keep herself in power.

The fact the right is rising suggests a great many are fed up with that behavior.

I don't think she's quite willing to "deal with anyone, regardless of policies". And either way, whether posters approve or not, it is still within the bounds of democratic process. It is the nature of democratic systems involving coalitions that party manifestos, goals and ideals are subject to compromise - as dictated by political realities.

The "fact" that the "right is rising" can  be attributed to more than one factor. And once more, this is while ignoring that Merkel and her party still receive higher support.