Copying with a straight face

Brunolem

14 hours ago, elgenon said:

That is a well known business rule. If you see a successful business, open a similar one next door.

That's why we have so many coffee shops [plus the motorcycle ones] here in Ayutthaya.

See it a lot of times. If a business opens and seems to be doing well then several suddenly open near it doing exact same thing. Or if you rent a property and open a restaurant that does well then the building owner tends to jack your rents up , doesn’t extend your lease as promised or gets a dodgy lawyer to back him up on some made up reason to cancel your rental contract. They then try to run the business you were making money with thinking it will be easy and after few months running it into the ground they then put the building up for rent. Never ending cycle !! ?

There is a town in England called Haye on Wye.

In 1961 , Richard Booth opened the towns first second hand book shop.

Now there are as many as 40. 

The second hand book trade has rejuvenated the town and it has become famous for rare books.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/books/ct-prj-hay-on-wye-book-town-20151008-story.html

In London , around Shaftesbury Avenue ( Denmark Street ) there used to be many shops selling musical instruments. It drew musicians to the area for the wide choice.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186338-d2557898-Reviews-Tin_Pan_Alley-London_England.html

In Bangkok there are several areas where copy cats sell plants. Hundreds of yards of shops selling everything for the garden

There are places called Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy. Nobody who goes there complains that there are too many bars.

The Japanese motorcycle industry started out copying European designs. Now, they dominate bike sales.

Conclusion..................copying is not always a bad thing.

• Like 1

it's earlier mentioned about the no-need-for-spending on R&D; gets a copy into customers hands quick'n'cheap

This Industry is bigger, and bolder than anyone could imagine...

The Russian example:

Image result for B-29 TU4

My business is in Thailand, I just received a law suit for 155 milj THB for patent infringement which I did not commit. Just to put some comments in the right perspective. Even if I win the case I will have to pay all my legal expenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When I lived in NYC, eighth street was one shoe store after the next... it wasn't copying but a district - if you wanted a large selection of shoes, you went to 8th street... people do copy in the west - thus the saying 'imitation is the greatest form of flattery' and they definitely are concerned with face which often takes the form of never admitting a fault or mistake...

Eastern Cultures have no monopoly on such things... 

• Like 1