Tham Luang cave: Evacuation poses challenge

webfact

6 minutes ago, steve73 said:

See my earlier post (maybe on another thread...) but I would think drilling a shaft of a size suitable to haul the guys out would take much longer than 4 months....

Give me the job ? guarantee I will get it done in a lot less than four months, I'm a retired "Driller" drilling the hole is easy 24 hour max (depending on geology), getting the equipment in & rigged up is the difficult part, given the resources available to them, shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Just for info it is not just the water that the divers are concerned about it is the fact that the water is not still but fast moving  & the cave entrance where they need to be evacuated is uphill, downhill & many curves. making it not possible to plug the incoming water hence pumping it out difficult .

They will get them out but there is no hurry now & not worth risking life & limb to do so

• Like 1

The only viable option for getting these people out of the cave,is for them to swim / dive out.

These kids have been underground for far too long now, and any delay now that is not critical to their well being will only add to the stress and anxiety  that they are already experiencing.

Children will not understand the need to be patient, and as far as they are concerned they just want to go home, and now somebody found them , why cant they ? .

The help and experience of the International Cave divers that found the children and made the initial contact would have been critical in this senario as the kids will think of them as true heroes in finding them, and will follow them and do anything that is required of them.

Kitting out the kids in Scuba gear and training them up will take too long, and I think a hugely long Air Life Line could be the answer. That way the kids dont have cumbersom and heavy tanks  tanks to deal with in tight passages. And if they are 5 Km down the cave, then somehow, these tanks will need changing on the way out as they will not hold enough air.

What ever is decided, I just hope that the mission will be a resounding success.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CGW said:

Give me the job ? guarantee I will get it done in a lot less than four months, I'm a retired "Driller" drilling the hole is easy 24 hour max (depending on geology), getting the equipment in & rigged up is the difficult part, given the resources available to them, shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Listening to the latest news, they have started drilling and the depth is about 800 meters of limestone. They are working on 2 plans - pumping out as much water and drilling. 

6 hours ago, rwill said:

perhaps put them in a deep sea/atmospheric diving suit and pull them through.

Came here to post the same.  Like a PP said, move each kid they way you would move equipment.  Seal them inside an oblong container and pull them out.

• Confused 1

Just now, ChidlomDweller said:

Came here to post the same.  Like a PP said, move each kid they way you would move equipment.  Seal them inside an oblong container and pull them out.

There will be tight passageways and low roofs to contend with.

Anything larger than the human form ( which is pliable ) really would not be an option

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cake Monster said:

There will be tight passageways and low roofs to contend with.

Anything larger than the human form ( which is pliable ) really would not be an option

I remember reading somewhere that some passageways are as narrow as a meter, but not sure how accurate that information is.  

• Sad 1

It's also been repeated several times that the divers had (have?) to take their tanks off at one point to squeeze through. That fits with the passageway being no more than a meter wide.

Somebody got shouted down for suggesting that the seals might widen the path - people assumed that since seals were normally underwater demolition experts that the person was talking about explosives. But I wonder if there exist pneumatic hammers capable of working underwater. Even if such exist, however, I'm afraid it would be hideously dangerous to try to use them. What if they cause a cave-in in the narrow water-filled channel? Besides trapping and killing the divers, it might block access and cause water to back up into the cave where the boys are and drown them all.

But if they can safely widen and smooth the pathway while they are getting the boys ready I'm sure they will have someone working on that.

When as a youth in the UK, I spent a lot of time underground in various potholes and caves

It was very common indeed to have passageways and roofs where it was almost impossible to squeeze through them ( maybe as small as 450 mm, or less )

I dearly hope that these kind of obstacles are not in the path of the extraction

If they are, then tanks is a huge no-no, as would a life support capsule of some kind.

9 hours ago, Mikey421 said:

Would drilling not upset the air pressure balance that is preventing the waters from rising quickly?

Think of a diving bell or a bucket upside down over water. As long as the shell of the bucket is intact, air pressure prevents the water from filling the bucket from below. Punch a hole in the bucket and that positive pressure is lost and the bucket sinks.

I like the idea of the tubes run into the cave through the submerged sections, it is reasonably safe and very simple in concept ( think smarter, not harder ), and the KISS ( Keep It Simple, Silly rule ) works with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought of that myself at first.. but, assuming they are all smart engineers, they can have a plug ready and someone reporting via raido underneath and if the situation changes they can plug it and create an air lock.. of sorts...

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Listening to the latest news, they have started drilling and the depth is about 800 meters of limestone. They are working on 2 plans - pumping out as much water and drilling. 

Interesting, obviously they are not going to reveal all that is happening.  PTT E&P (drilling) have been part of the team since the beginning, who knows what they have been working on, guess this could be it? 

When as a youth in the UK, I spent a lot of time underground in various potholes and caves
It was very common indeed to have passageways and roofs where it was almost impossible to squeeze through them ( maybe as small as 450 mm, or less )
I dearly hope that these kind of obstacles are not in the path of the extraction
If they are, then tanks is a huge no-no, as would a life support capsule of some kind.
From the description of the divers, this exactly the situation in at least 2 segments. They had to widen it before they could get through at all and even then couldn't wear their tanks. Hence the concern.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Demolition does not necessarily mean explosives, there are many ways to demolish. Jack hammers come to mind, chip away small pieces of the walls to make way. 

Well, as I was replying to a comment about the Thai SEAL team, I would be pretty confident they are not trained in the use of jackhammers, let alone the minor problem of operating a large cumbersome pneumatic jackhammer underwater in a confined space, with almost zero visibility....

1 minute ago, MikeN said:

Well, as I was replying to a comment about the Thai SEAL team, I would be pretty confident they are not trained in the use of jackhammers, let alone the minor problem of operating a large cumbersome pneumatic jackhammer underwater in a confined space, with almost zero visibility....

Jackhammers come in all sizes, sandstone is pretty soft too.. Just an opinion, I'm not trying to be a smart arse..

• Like 1

How did the doctors get to them....shouldnt they get the out the same way?

If they dived then put some tanks on them....or take a small submersible capsule down.

The doctors are Navy members who swam in with the SEALs.

18 hours ago, Thian said:

They were 5 km deep in the cave, that's one hour walking single way..why did they have to go that deep? 

Quote from The nation's map ' divers take the children and their coach out through a muddy water route nearly 3KM long'

1 hour ago, Mikey421 said:

I am sure  they are....how difficult is it to swim with an oxygen tank to breathe from...cant they have them hold some sort of line as they navigate their way through the water.

4 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

I am sure  they are....how difficult is it to swim with an oxygen tank to breathe from...cant they have them hold some sort of line as they navigate their way through the water.

Yes, they have a line I understand.  But breathing underwater through an apparatus is quite unnatural, especially in a dark and confined space.  (Except for possibly new-born babies who are used to not breathing.  They throw them in pools and teach them to swim rapidly because they are relaxed and used to holding their breath.)

19 hours ago, Mikey421 said:

And it took 6 Hours for these experienced Doctors to reach the kids., as was reported on UK TV news

Caves are not like a walk down the street, There are tight passageways, chimneys and all kinds of boulder fields to negotiate, and thats without the water 

6 Hours for a Doctor - How long for a small child to make it out. ?

A very difficult task indeed, that needs a lot of expert planning and cool heads.

Edited by Cake Monster
  • Like 1