Another warrant issued for Thaksin’s arrest

webfact

Another warrant issued for Thaksin’s arrest

By Thai PBS

213THaksin.jpg

FILE photo

The Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions today issued a warrant for the arrest of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra after he failed to appear for the first hearing in a corruption case in connection with a 4-billion-baht loan to Myanmar.

Thaksin is accused of abuses of power by ordering the bank in 2006 to increase a 3-billion-baht loan to 4 billion so that Myanmar’s then-ruling junta could buy services from a Shinawatra-run company, Shin Satellite.

The proceedings of the case were temporarily suspended by the Supreme Court in 2008 on the ground that Thaksin had fled the country.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/another-warrant-issued-thaksins-arrest/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-04
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

Prayut is giving plenty of state money now to the poor to with Thai Niyom, in my opinion that does not make him a good guy. Every corrupt politician should be punished and removed from politics from life. That also means no control of political parties and stuff. I would say it would be good if Thaksin finally left the stage he is proven to be corrupt. Not by one case but many including bribing of judges. Those kind of people should be banned from politics and put in jail. Suthep should be treated the same as Thaksin also a good example of a super corrupt politician. 

I don't get it how people can defend corrupt politicians... it should be one strike and your out for life.

Welcome to Thailand, different $hit, same smell.

Money makes things happen, as do back door exits, hence the reason the rich, be it politicians, the red bull heir or the deputy PM, time will show, they are all in it for the money, and the smarter ones get away, the ones that stay to face the music, well how dumb can you be ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

Prayut is giving plenty of state money now to the poor to with Thai Niyom, in my opinion that does not make him a good guy. Every corrupt politician should be punished and removed from politics from life. That also means no control of political parties and stuff. I would say it would be good if Thaksin finally left the stage he is proven to be corrupt. Not by one case but many including bribing of judges. Those kind of people should be banned from politics and put in jail. Suthep should be treated the same as Thaksin also a good example of a super corrupt politician. 

I don't get it how people can defend corrupt politicians... it should be one strike and your out for life.

I agree with your sentiments. But corruption and politics go hand-in-hand in every nation since the beginning of time. 

As my dad used to say (about my home country), "Politicians are underachieving, self-serving, used car salesmen with law degrees and good connections that are unable or unwilling to get real jobs."  Basically flunkies in the hard-scrabble "real world."

That being said, while Thai politics is a different animal altogether I still view all politicians worldwide as snakes with lust for power that are overcome with greed or at the very least sh it sippers doing their masters' bidding.  

Politics is not a vocation for the altruistic.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, robblok said:

Everyone and everything that is not perfect should be banned, discarded, jailed you cry.

Of course, the flaw  is that everyone and everything is imperfect

Everyone, that is, with the exception of those with the power of perpetual immunity.........Prayuth, Prawit et al.

To argue against democracy because perfection is unattainable is to support the thuggish and corrupt junta

Don't toss the baby out with the bath water!

baby-with-bathwater.png.8bfb6c9bc5f8a3f76b6ec240bfee7fd7.png

Perhaps they should focus on unpaid parking tickets or overdue library books.  That might actually get the attention of Interpol or some debt collectors.  If the Shins are not be extradited, the junta has to go for all the just reasons as well as for just being dumb and lame.

Thaksin faces fifth arrest warrant after failing to appear

By The Nation

d66d6c53d9f6f94aa8bb702ce0812aba.jpeg

File photo: Thaksin Shinawatra

Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra now faces a fifth arrest warrant after he failed to appear before the Supreme Court on Wednesday for the trial in a corruption case stemming from his government’s policy.

The top court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders yesterday resumed the trial in a criminal case, in which Thaksin is charged with malfeasance in connection with his government’s approval for the state-owned Export-Import Bank to lend the Myanmar government Bt4 billion at a low interest rate for its telecoms project. 

The borrowed money was used to buy equipment from Shin Satellite, a company within the Shin Corp group, which was owned by Thaksin’s family.

In July 2008, the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) brought the case to the court. However, the top court later suspended the case because Thaksin had fled the country.

Legal action was resumed after a 2017 amendment of the Procedural Act of Criminal Cases against Political Office Holders law allowed for defendants to be tried in absentia, although they can appoint their lawyer and show up to fight their case at any stage of the trial.

Neither Thaksin nor his lawyer showed up for the resumed trial on Wednesday. The NACC, as the prosecution, sent its representatives to attend.

The court ordered a warrant to be issued for the defendant’s arrest and scheduled October 31 for both the defence and the prosecution to submit the lists of their witnesses and plans for their hearings. 

Under the amended law, the trial of corruption cases that were suspended because the defendants were absent shall resume three months following the issuance of an arrest warrant if the fugitives cannot be apprehended.

Thaksin, 69, has lived in exile overseas since he left the country in 2008.

The Supreme Court in October that year sentenced Thaksin to two years in jail for abusing his power while in office. He was found guilty of violating the anti-corruption law for allowing the sale of a state-seized coveted land plot in the Ratchadaphisek area to his then-wife, Khunying Pojaman Na Pombejra.

Prior to the latest arrest warrant being issued on Wednesday, Thaksin faced four arrest warrants in connection with cases stemming from his government’s policies – the Ratchadaphisek land scandal, the conversion of telecoms concessions into excise tax, a Bt9.9-billion Krungthai Bank loan to a property company and the Finance Ministry’s takeover of Thai Petrochemical Industry Plc.

Thaksin is also a co-defendant in another case, in which the NACC in 2008 accused him and his fellow Cabinet members of malfeasance in connection with a special lottery project. The Supreme Court’s Criminal Division on Political Office Holders is scheduled to begin the resumed trial of the case on July 25.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30349319

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-05
  • Like 1