Another warrant issued for Thaksin’s arrest

webfact

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

No Thaksin would never really get punished for what he did.. no jail time. That is what I am talking about. His sister different story she made her own choices became a puppet and failed to stop the corruption in the rice program even after being told there were fake g2g deals amounting to 30billion. She is not innocent, court of justice proven that the facts prove that. That being said she is less guilty then many. 

Yes justice should be dispensed evenly I agree, but that does not mean that when it is not you should leave criminals run free. If one murderer escapes does that mean we should not go after other ones.. just imagine what that would lead too. Same applies for corruption. 

The junta doing the same, right Rob and that’s ok. Didn’t your man Prayut not stopping corruption of his buddy. Justice dispense fairly? Oh, he is using 44 to give debt relieve for 3 years to the telecom companies. That’s tax payer money that woefully spent to help rich telecoms companies. 

I propose that a high ranking member of the present Junta equipped with modern chronometers) grab hold of a Me 110 and fly it all the way to Britain,bail out over Scotland, and explain to the astonished chaps on the ground just as to why so many court edicts have been issued without any discernible effects or response from the the inhabitants of Lichtenstein.

It is only in this way that Thailand's plight  (neither seen nor heard) can come to the attention of a competent psychologist.

Edited by Odysseus123

56 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The junta doing the same, right Rob and that’s ok. Didn’t your man Prayut not stopping corruption of his buddy. Justice dispense fairly? Oh, he is using 44 to give debt relieve for 3 years to the telecom companies. That’s tax payer money that woefully spent to help rich telecoms companies. 

Eric, unlike you I have no problem condemning the junta for the point you mention. I agree totally that the watch man should be investigated. If guilty convicted. No argument there. About the telecom companies, not sure its corruption unless you can prove that Prayut or anyone else benefited from it unlike with Thaksin where the link was easy given his ownership of the company.

I never said justice was fair here, see red bull, mercedes killer, and the list goes on for pages and pages. But that does not mean we should not convict others who broke the rules. We should as they broke the rules. It just means we should ALSO go after those that are now getting off free. But it certainly does not mean because someone got off we should not convict others for the same crime. Just imagine all those people who stole from the poor getting off because Thaksin and Prayut got off ? I would not like that one bit.. that is what you are advocating.

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

How about the red bull guy, he killed a cop didn't he....all quiet on that front, wonder why....

They only changed the law for political office holders (the ones without a self awarded amnesty I might add). Red bull guy has nothing to fear. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

With so many warrants for his arrest...lost count now....then surely a Red notice with Interpol should be sought?

But no.... the authorities continue to make Thailand a laughing stock.

I doubt any foreign governments see Thailand as a 'laughing stock' for not seeking an Interpol Red Notice for a former prime minister. 

To my limited understanding: the conventional wisdom is that Interpol might reject the request based on Article 3, which prohibits them from getting involved in political arrests. Especially with the request coming from a junta, Western Interpol members seem unlikely to issue such a notice. 

Whether or not one believes a notice actually is politically motivated, it's reasonable to believe that enough foreign governments would see it that way. So it's probably not worth the diplomatic headache for Thai officials. 

1 hour ago, sjaak327 said:

And in light of the above, does anyone on here still deny the cases against Thaksin are not politically motivated. The proof of this is overwhelming. 

You may have a point if you consider Suthep’s Kor Sor Por land case almost 20 years and still have not been charged. Or the police station corruption case almost 10 years. Those were not small beans cases. Being in the good book of the military does have extensive political benefits. 

21 hours ago, robblok said:

Nice one, only they forgot to include in this story how Thaksin forced the bank to accept an interest percentage below the cost price.  (mentioned in the BKK post) So the bank was losing money 670 million.  Clear case of corruption even more so because the loan was used to buy services of Thaksin his companies.  I wonder if anyone cares to defend this clear cut case of corruption and start calling it political.

The was a reason Thaksin ran, this was one of the reasons this is a far more serious case and one that is easy to prove. Now he can still claim he is only convicted for minor things, if this conviction came through before he could not huge loss of face.

I don't think he will be arrested but I am happy that they go on with his cases maybe some of the red supporters here will finally open their eyes and see that the guy did commit some serious corruption. 

If you look carefully at the cases against him. Most of them are certainly not politically motivated. I don't see the connection to the junta because corruption cases filed against him were before they came into power. They were deliberately delayed and stopped by the PTP government ran by his sister. 

• Like 1

It is July, therefore it is a new month, which means the usual monthly 'arrest Thaksin and Yingluck' press release from the generals.

'We urge all parties concerned to locate them'

Edited by BobbyL

2 minutes ago, gamini said:

If you look carefully at the cases against him. Most of them are certainly not politically motivated. I don't see the connection to the junta because corruption cases filed against him were before they came into power. They were deliberately delayed and stopped by the PTP government ran by his sister. 

Sure!

Would you prefer dry biscuits or chicken with rice this evening?

3 hours ago, kingkenny said:

I bet he is sh!tting himself, oh my god, how is he going to manage to put food on the table and pay his rent???

I think he'll be alright, and then some. Question is, when will he be satisfied?

16 minutes ago, gamini said:

I think this reply was meant for me? I don't have any opinion on whether or not the cases are politically motivated. I plead total ignorance. I'm just relaying an explanation I've been given. Which is:

There are also well-meaning people who have 'looked carefully at the cases' and come to the opposite conclusion you have. They say the cases are brought by rivals through a politicised judiciary, rather than unbiassed officials through an apolitical judiciary. International law enforcement officials and diplomats aren't going to want to untangle who is right. It's easier for them to point at Article 3 and stay hands-off. Especially given the deep political divides within the Thai population. 

But who knows what happens behind closed doors when diplomats meet? Maybe, if the Thai government presents its case in just the right way, it could convince Interpol that a red notice wouldn't endanger its commitment to neutrality. But such a notice would likely just be symbolic, anyway. Surely plenty of countries would ignore it. Extradition is already a tricky process – even for straightforward street criminals. To arrest and extradite a well-connected and still popular former PM, who is accused of financial/corruption crimes (not violent crimes), and probably has a huge team of excellent lawyers, probably sounds like a massive headache best avoided to foreign prosecutors. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

They never learn, let's quote the relevant part of the article:

The proceedings of the case were temporarily suspended by the Supreme Court in 2008 on the ground that Thaksin had fled the country.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) asked the court to renew the case after the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) in 2017 passed an organic law on criminal procedures for holders of political offices. A critical point in the law is that the statute of limitations will not expire as long as the accused  is on the run and that the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions can order a trial to proceed in absentia

Done and dusted, no country on earth will extradite him, in a fair justice system, changed laws are not applied retroactively. 

The junta is beyond stupid. 

And in light of the above, does anyone on here still deny the cases against Thaksin are not politically motivated. The proof of this is overwhelming. 

The case itself was not political it was clear that corruption was omitted, this change of the law was political but I actually like the change because its stupid that criminals can wait out their crime outside of Thailand, they should have included others not just political positions. You are right though that doing something retroactive is not how it is done in other countries. Still I think its a real good change but should have been applied far wider.

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

You may have a point if you consider Suthep’s Kor Sor Por land case almost 20 years and still have not been charged. Or the police station corruption case almost 10 years. Those were not small beans cases. Being in the good book of the military does have extensive political benefits. 

Too bad (and I mean it) Suthep won't be harmed by this law as he is not on the run he is in Thailand he can wait till the statue of limitations expires. Suthep is as corrupt as Thaksin and deserves his day in court too. Yes this is political not charging him. I don't see charging Thaksin as political as he did the deeds he is accused of. So did Suthep the not charging of Suthep is political, the charging of Thaksin was just going after an other corrupt criminal and following the law.

You constantly argue that charging someone with a crime is political, i argue that NOT charging someone and protecting him is political. In both cases a crime was committed  in one case he just does not get charged.. that is political, follow the law is not being political. 

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

You are full of 'whataboutery' ERic. Everyone but Thaksin - as Robblok says, you just cannot bring yourself (& a few others) to condemn your hero even when the cases against him are straight forward corruption. All potential cases against Suthep could have been prosecuted when Shin proxies were in power so no need to twist them to be the military's fault.

BTW the courts are legally obliged to issue warrants when an accused doesn't turn up for a hearing on the case.

For all those always bleating political.

The norm even in Thailand is to try to convict people who are corrupt, nothing political about it. Deviating from this norm is political like not going on with Suthep his cases, or not going on about the watches of Prawit.

Just look at it like this everyone who drives drunk gets convicted only those connected wont get convicted is it then political to go after the ones that get convicted or is it political to not charge the connected... not charging the connected is political not following the law and norm. 

Political is also if charges are made up or fake.. that is certainly not the case here. 

Those moaning political here are advocating not charging anyone as long as some are protected. I can imagine what mess that would make no need for laws anymore.

It would make far more sense for those here to complain about the connected ones.. not defending the criminals that get convicted but rally against the untouchables. 

Edited by robblok

2 minutes ago, khunken said:

You are full of 'whataboutery' ERic. Everyone but Thaksin - as Robblok says, you just cannot bring yourself (& a few others) to condemn your hero even when the cases against him are straight forward corruption. All potential cases against Suthep could have been prosecuted when Shin proxies were in power so no need to twist them to be the military's fault.

BTW the courts are legally obliged to issue warrants when an accused doesn't turn up for a hearing on the case.

Full of crap as usual. The cases of Suthep is being investigated by the NACC and they have procrastinated and keep delaying saying insufficient evidence to prosecute. Consider yourself educated. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

The norm even in Thailand is to try to convict people who are corrupt, nothing political about it. Deviating from this norm is political like not going on with Suthep his cases. 

Just look at it like this everyone who drives drunk gets convicted only those connected wont get convicted is it then political to go after the ones that get convicted or is it political to not charge the connected... not charging the connected is political not following the law and norm. 

Political is also if charges are made up or fake.. that is certainly not the case here. 

Not sure if this was for me? As I said in my last post, I have absolutely no opinion on whether the charges are political or not. But I can understand why Interpol might not want to get involved, based on the possibility that enough people might perceive it as such. 

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Full of crap as usual. The cases of Suthep is being investigated by the NACC and they have procrastinated and keep delaying saying insufficient evidence to prosecute. Consider yourself educated. 

Stupid post. Not a semblance of any effort to stay on topic. The thread is about Thaksin even though you don't like it.

• Haha 1

Just now, pathologix said:

Not sure if this was for me? As I said in my last post, I have absolutely no opinion on whether the charges are political or not. But I can understand why Interpol might not want to get involved, based on the possibility that enough people might perceive it as such. 

No its not its a general statement.

I understand why interpol does not want to get involved.. the law to go on with his case is retroactively made.  But the original case is valid. 

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-corruption/analysis-thailand-struggles-against-tide-of-corruption-idUSTRE68R0RZ20100928

Political if you ignore corruption of your allies. There are more examples but this will do for now. 

You got it Eric the political part is ignoring corruption of your allies not the charging of others like Thaksin in real cases.  Finally we agree the case against Thaksin is not political, but not going on with Suthep is. I am happy you finally saw the light.

Just now, robblok said:

You got it Eric the political part is ignoring corruption of your allies not the charging of others like Thaksin in real cases.  Finally we agree the case against Thaksin is not political, but not going on with Suthep is. I am happy you finally saw the light.

Strange logic expected from you.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Right.. it confirms.. what i said.. loan to birma so birma could buy stuff from his company with the bank losing out money. Corruption clear cut. But I know your a red fan boy can't say anything bad about Thaksin.. Its sad actually, some of us are more open minded condemning junta, Thaksin, Suthep. Others do their best to defend Thaksin even know he is guilty as sin.

No.

What you are missing is that there is more to it than simply proclaiming Thaksin was corrupt and everything he did was to line his own pockets. In this case there was high level Amercian (government) involvement. 

You and your kind have allowed yourselves to be so heavily dosed by junta kool aid that all you see are the twigs in Thaksin's eye whilst somehow miraculously remaining completely oblivious to the forrest of logs in the junta's eye.

Any list of what ails Thailand is topped by the junta and its anti-democratic allies.

Whether Thaksin is second on that list or a hundred and second does not change the fact that the most pressing issue in Thailand is ridding itself of the corrupted, oppressive and greedy military/elite cabal that has so devastated the nation and its people.

A patient lays upon a gurney before you suffering from two ailments. His heart has stopped beating and he has a paper cut on his little finger. You, Dr Robblok, in all your wisdom, are tending to the paper cut. The rest of us are fully aware of the paper cut but see more wisdom in first treating the cardiac issue.

Fanboy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, robblok said:

The was a reason Thaksin ran,

There was me thinking he ran because a Military Junta that overthrew the elected government by force were out to get him.

I would have run too! Rubber hose pipes, electrodes to the privates, and long falls down short flights of steps, no thanks!

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

Everything is political.

The norm even in Thailand is to try to convict people who are corrupt, nothing political about it. Deviating from this norm is political like not going on with Suthep his cases, or not going on about the watches of Prawit.

The norm in Thailand is most certainly not to convict people who are corrupt, that why it so rarely occurs. In fact, the only reason it is occurring now is not to rid Thailand of corruption but simply to rid the Junta of its electorally more popular foes.

Confusing, rambling nonsense here.

If the only people being hunted for corruption on trumped up charges are your political foes - then it is political.

Those moaning political here are advocating not charging anyone as long as some are protected. I can imagine what mess that would make no need for laws anymore.

The international community of governments have clearly got a completely different view of the validity of the charges against Thaksin than you do.

I wonder who is wrong?

You or the collective governments of the world?

:crazy:

It would make far more sense for those here to complain about the connected ones.. not defending the criminals that get convicted but rally against the untouchables. 

What seems to continually elude you is the political witch hunt of Thaksin and his allies is being done to achieve just one aim - the continuation of the elites complete and total lack of accountability to the rule of law and the electorate.

• Like 1

@pornpong

The case is valid.. Americans or not Thaksin forced a bank to give a loan below cost losing 640 million baht. The loan was so that an other country could buy stuff from Thaksin his company. So he directly benefited. That is called corruption.

Your so blind defending your hero you can't see how wrong you are. 

You should complain about cases like Sutheps, and mr Watch man Prawit not going on. All corruption should be prosecuted not just Thaksins. But that does not mean Thaksins does not have to be prosecuted or that he is innocent. Just means that the junta protects the corrupt people in their ranks. That is totally unacceptable. Going after Thaksin on a valid charge is the right thing to do as its corruption.