Give The British Divers Who Found the Kids And Their Instructor In The Cave Thai Citizenship And The Highest Civilian Medal.

AdamTheFarang

8 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

You have any link to that claim?

Tourism Minister Weerasak Kowsurat said he had invited the team to Thailand to help find the missing youths and that the three had surveyed the Tham Luang cave even before. 

Thai Airways International sponsored the travel of the experienced underwater cave rescuers, who boarded a flight out of London on Tuesday night. Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osottanakorn said: “We have already talked to them online about the nature of the challenges.”

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30348777

16 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

i feel sure the Thai government will respond favourably later   hopfully the cop who tried to throw a spanner in the works  ie permits for drilling/drones etc  will not be on the inevitable  commitee

Another cop who should be appointed to an inactive post. Jobsworth with no common sense.:cheesy:

17 hours ago, CGW said:

Why does there need to be so many "hero's" these days, they did a great job, a job they have trained long and hard for no doubt, it must also be a job they enjoy doing, I'm sure the satisfaction of finding the kids was a fantastic feeling, but are they "hero's"? don't forget they had a huge team backing them up, what are they "junior backup hero's'

Job well done guys! ? 

For one it is not their job, but a hobby. Cave diving is one of the most dangerous forms of diving, often zero visibility and dangerous obstacles to navigate around. In my eyes anyone who risks their life in an attempt to save another life is a Hero.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I am aware that you are attempting to be facetious, but do you really think under the circumstances the powers that be would insist on work permits for highly trained cave divers when every minute counts to save lives..

No, I didn't think  you did.

It did however happen 14 years ago when the tsunami hit, much to Thailand's sham e and embarrassment.

Perhaps Thailand has moved on and matured a wee bit?

Not much hope of that ever happening with the officials Thailand usually have.

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Quite a few Brits here want everyone to know they won the cave diving. 

The people who "won" was everybody who took part in the rescue operations, and I'm sure the two Brits, or was it three? would agree with that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, johnray said:

They need the cave visa.  Must go to immigration to proove you are working at the cave on the day you should be actualy working at the cave + 8 photos.

and the address they are staying at, they must have been staying somewhere between shifts.

Hope the person who is responsible for that address has reported it to the authorities.:cheesy:

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, bprinceuk said:

For one it is not their job, but a hobby. Cave diving is one of the most dangerous forms of diving, often zero visibility and dangerous obstacles to navigate around. In my eyes anyone who risks their life in an attempt to save another life is a Hero.

Believe me, in no way am I trying to take away from the fact they did a great job & enjoyed their hobby at the same time. Did they risk their lives? I would say no, in a hobby like theirs, same as with any high risk occupation there are strict guidelines you have to stay within to stay alive, if they were taking heroic risks then there odds on continuing their hobby would be pretty remote possibility, again it was a great team effort & kudos to them.

• Sad 1

Believe me, in no way am I trying to take away from the fact they did a great job & enjoyed their hobby at the same time. Did they risk their lives? I would say no, in a hobby like theirs, same as with any high risk occupation there are strict guidelines you have to stay within to stay alive, if they were taking heroic risks then there odds on continuing their hobby would be pretty remote possibility, again it was a great team effort & kudos to them.

Crazy, of course they risked there lives, cave diving is a big risk 100% of the time, one mistake and you are gone!!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

and the address they are staying at, they must have been staying somewhere between shifts.

Hope the person who is responsible for that address has reported it to the authorities.:cheesy:

It seems to be getting more common on Thaivisa now that when you give a confused or sad emotican, you get it returned. 

16 minutes ago, CGW said:

Of course they risked their lives.

Hobby?..hobby..?

They are the best in the business-Thomas the Tank Engine it is not..

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

So far the team have had all their expenses paid and have been made visa and work permit exempt, including having the honour of being made personal guests by the King, probably the highest honour any foreigners could be bestowed in Thailand.

I have no doubts the British rescue team will gain a lot of work out of this, now news of their fantastic achievement has gone worldwide. It`s going to be;  we need a rescue team, who we gonna call?

I`m sure these guys will go down in history and always remembered as the British team who performed a miracle in Thailand, and that alone is worth it`s weight in gold.

They need a team name, hmm...something sunder, something like thunder, fly to rescue, Thunderbirds!, Thunderbirds Are Go!

You all seem to have more need of "heroes" in your lives than I do.

My "hero" is still the "Lollipop Lady" (pedestrian crossing attendant) who jumped out in front of traffic everyday, constantly putting her life at risk, yet never rewarded! 

My OP was about "why so many heroes these days? now we have the TVF keyboard warrior "heroes" jumping on the bandwagon to pour scorn on someones views as they don't match their own.

Have a nice day ? 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrPhibes said:

They need a team name, hmm...something sunder, something like thunder, fly to rescue, Thunderbirds!, Thunderbirds Are Go!

Sure..in 1967 it was big laugh..

Otherwise they are doing an extremely dangerous job..

You do realize what the concept of "dangerous job" is.don't you?

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:
17 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

i feel sure the Thai government will respond favourably later   hopfully the cop who tried to throw a spanner in the works  ie permits for drilling/drones etc  will not be on the inevitable  commitee

Another cop who should be appointed to an inactive post. Jobsworth with no common sense

Meanwhile, there's mention in another post of unqualified "helpers" pumping water back INTO the cave. 

There's a reason for requiring permits.  Another good one is to prevent unqualified drone hobbyists from crashing into the professionally operated drones, and the into general public.

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

You all seem to have more need of "heroes" in your lives than I do.

My "hero" is still the "Lollipop Lady" (pedestrian crossing attendant) who jumped out in front of traffic everyday, constantly putting her life at risk, yet never rewarded! 

My OP was about "why so many heroes these days? now we have the TVF keyboard warrior "heroes" jumping on the bandwagon to pour scorn on someones views as they don't match their own.

Have a nice day ? 

Sure...you too.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Sure..in 1967 it was big laugh..

Otherwise they are doing an extremely dangerous job..

You do realize what the concept of "dangerous job" is.don't you?

Thunderbirds made a TV comeback in 2015.