simple earth

Kwasaki

OK. configure the box like this.

• Take everything out.
  • Put the RCBO on the RIGHT (this makes wiring easier).
  • Then the two MCBs to its left.
  • Incoming neutral to the LEFT copper bar (the earth bar).
  • Incoming live to the bottom LEFT terminal of the RCBO.
  • Bus bar to the top LEFT of the RCBO and the top of the MCBs.
  • Link the LEFT copper bar to the bottom RIGHT of the RCBO (use 10mm cable).
  • Link the top RIGHT of the RCBO to the RIGHT copper bar (the neutral bar).
  • Take the live feeds to your lights and outlets from the bottom of the MCBs, neutrals from the RIGHT copper bar.
  • Earths come from the LEFT copper bar, you'll end up with several wires per hole I'm afraid.

Post a photo so we can verify.

Do still check the RCBO action as I noted earlier just to confirm what the diagram says is actually what's going on inside, it's not unknown for the diagram to tell porkies.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Great.

Can you check if, with the switch OFF, you have continuity top to bottom of the RCBO left side, right side or neither. 

We will get there eventually ?

No ohms reading when switched off.

34 minutes ago, Crossy said:

OK. configure the box like this.

• Take everything out.
  • Put the RCBO on the RIGHT (this makes wiring easier).
  • Then the two MCBs to its left.
  • Incoming live to the bottom LEFT terminal of the RCBO.
  • Bus bar to the top LEFT of the RCBO and the top of the MCBs.
  • Link the LEFT copper bar to the bottom RIGHT of the RCBO (use 10mm cable).
  • Link the top RIGHT of the RCBO to the RIGHT copper bar (the neutral bar).
  • Take the live feeds to your lights and outlets from the bottom of the MCBs, neutrals from the RIGHT copper bar.
  • Earths come from the LEFT copper bar, you'll end up with several wires per hole I'm afraid.

Post a photo so we can verify.

Do still check the RCBO action as I noted earlier just to confirm what the diagram says is actually what's going on inside, it's not unknown for the diagram to tell porkies.

OK thanks understand.

OK this is good as it's a 2-pole RCBO in a 2 unit package.

I would wire as I noted above although you could put the RCBO on the left if you want in which case:-

• Take everything out.
  • Put the RCBO on the LEFT (this makes wiring easier).
  • Then the two MCBs to its right.
  • Incoming live to the bottom RIGHT terminal of the RCBO.
  • Bus bar to the top RIGHT of the RCBO and the top of the MCBs.
  • Link the LEFT copper bar to the bottom LEFT of the RCBO (use 10mm cable).
  • Link the top LEFT of the RCBO to the RIGHT copper bar (the neutral bar).

Main switch on the left seems to be Thai convention as was the UK for many years, the UK now seems to favour main switch on the right for no adequately explained reason.

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

OK this is good as it's a 2-pole RCBO in a 2 unit package.

I would wire as I noted above although you could put the RCBO on the left if you want in which case:-

• Take everything out.
  • Put the RCBO on the LEFT (this makes wiring easier).
  • Then the two MCBs to its right.
  • Incoming live to the bottom RIGHT terminal of the RCBO.
  • Bus bar to the top RIGHT of the RCBO and the top of the MCBs.
  • Link the LEFT copper bar to the bottom LEFT of the RCBO (use 10mm cable).
  • Link the top LEFT of the RCBO to the RIGHT copper bar (the neutral bar).

Check ?

25 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Main switch on the left seems to be Thai convention as was the UK for many years, the UK now seems to favour main switch on the right for no adequately explained reason.

I suspect the CU mfg. might be the reason.  Any Schneider in the UK that has gone to the right?  In the states, the main is at the top and the individual circuit breakers are then left and right.

Or, maybe it's just politics.  ?

10 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Any Schneider in the UK that has gone to the right?

Schneider / Square-D don't appear to sell the plug-in type CU in the UK (only DIN mount) and all the DIN ones on the UK website are right hand main.

EDIT A good question to pose on the IEE Regulations Forum. The 18th Edition is out and causing consternation as a new version always seems to.

Just a quicky I have cleaned back to bare steel on column & cleaned earth rod to fix 10mm core wire.

Should I run & connect a 10mm wire or a 2.5 amp wire to CU earth bar. ?

1766976509_Earthrod1.jpg.aca624c9490cd832139d01e04c55d9b0.jpg

OK one RCBO wired to CU and earth wire going to earth rod,  just have to run another earth wire to 3 pin sockets and connect earth bar.

I realized I made left bar earth after I finished will I get sacked. ?

2054000821_RCBOwired.jpg.dc9dfd33525a1346aaf8c95b77a85790.jpg

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Looks fair to middling to me ?

Left bar as earth is correct as it's bolted to the box.

The question now is does it work as expected?

When PEA comes I'll see  but I can test with farmhouse power when I  have finished the power socket.  I wasn't going to earth the lights I'll wait to see what  they  say.  

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

When PEA comes I'll see  but I can test with farmhouse power when I  have finished the power socket.  I wasn't going to earth the lights I'll wait to see what  they  say.  

Make sure you take the power from the farmhouse BEFORE any RCD/RCBO or you will trip it. The N-E link will upset the farmhouse RCBO.

Should be no need for earth on the lighting circuits.

Do check that the MCBs are dead when the RCBO is off and that the RCBO "Test" button performs as advertised.

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Make sure you take the power from the farmhouse BEFORE any RCD/RCBO or you will trip it. The N-E link will upset the farmhouse RCBO.

Should be no need for earth on the lighting circuits.

Do check that the MCBs are dead when the RCBO is off and that the RCBO "Test" button performs as advertised.

555 The farmhouse is over a 100 years old or more has only 5 / 15. and only a Chang isolator . Will the connection from it for test be OK ? I  thought it would. 

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

555 The farmhouse is over a 100 years old or more has only 5 / 15. and only a Chang isolator . Will the connection from it for test be OK ? I  thought it would. 

Reckon so, double check the polarity, then check again before turning on.

Are PEA going to run cables all the way to your Chang isolators?

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Reckon so, double check the polarity, then check again before turning on.

Are PEA going to run cables all the way to your Chang isolators?

I guess so  they did run cables to my daughters land next door, thicker than the 10mm though. 

Well started thread simple earth but not simple allegedly, Mrs was told of a guy from PEA who checks electrics, he said he will do the extra work to make it pass for 5000 + baht or so, sounds like a con to me so I'm gonna bail out. 

The Chang isolators have 1 x 100 running from them to the 3 CU's he said it's no good.!!

3 x 3 pin plug sockets in each apartment are wired with twin 2.5 cable with a single 2.5 earth cable to the CU and powered through 20amp MCB, the CU then earthed to earth rod with a single 2.5 earth cable, he said it needs something more.

The lights have twin 1.5 cables and powered through 10amp MCB don't understand what he said about them..

The RCBO's are installed as instructed in the CU.

His listed out 6 lots of things to buy, 1 is 50 m of cable of some sort.  

Just as I thought everything was put right it's not good enough.

Will see with interest what the extra stuff is that's wanted can't make any sense of it. 

Ruddy typical really. Did he actually look at the installation?

It would be interesting to know what he wants to change.

In the end it may be worth shelling the 5k to get past the inspection, then make it safe once he's gone.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Ruddy typical really. Did he actually look at the installation?

It would be interesting to know what he wants to change.

In the end it may be worth shelling the 5k to get past the inspection, then make it safe once he's gone.

Look No ? not really just started to criticize like why did we put a Chang isolator outside, I said to make it easy for PEA to connect to all 3 units,  he said nothing and got on  his mobile.    Yeah it's been a lot of hassle from the start it started with me ground fill ? .   Will post back what happens and Il will be there looking over his shoulder case he needs help, I'm sure he will enjoy that. ?

24 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

On the warpath, gonna take this PEA office ask what wrong

I would be on the peacepath if I was you.  Thai officials do not like criticism, especially from a farang.  If you want a meter in this life, I suggest taking it low key and SMILE.

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

I would be on the peacepath if I was you.  Thai officials do not like criticism, especially from a farang.  If you want a meter in this life, I suggest taking it low key and SMILE.

?  yeah at PEA will do, just wanted show them what's been done and is it OK.

Got the hump with this guy who told my Mrs who knows absolutely nothing about electrical wiring that all the wires are too small.

He then came along this morning asking for 5000 baht in advance so he could do the work to make it right,  the Mrs is suspicious now so she said he'll have to wait.

OK for our 3 terraced 1 room studio apartment with bathroom within a building of 12 M x 10 M you need 3 X 2.4 earth rods according to deleted and some of this, maybe they are setting it 

for 3 phase factory units.  

Don[t understand this especially when they want to put it front of the building I guess Thai people from PEA like ugly.

clqmps.jpg.0d8201778ad85857e5c721764b7701cc.jpgwire555.jpg.333f5d9feb88c5aa8a78649a077c69b4.jpgknob55.jpg.68d15d8c430a05e610e4abcb628a9b28.jpgthick555.jpg.2ea09709d6ce391d73a0e03047e3f3e4.jpg637590699_wiremore555.jpg.4391e1d2ba92aa659815246726aadca7.jpg up

box6.jpg.03313ac2c187ab6dbc12dd482537b5a7.jpg

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Another guy is finishing the electrics the way the local PEA want it, anyone need some redundant Chang switches.

Do let us know how they end up doing it, should be fun.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Do let us know how they end up doing it, should be fun.

Yes will take some pix, last thing I heard was his complaining about getting the large 1 x 25 cable in the CU earth bar connection.

Archived