simple earth

Kwasaki

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes will take some pix, last thing I heard was his complaining about getting the large 1 x 25 cable in the CU earth bar connection.

What he should do is graft a short copper pigtail (10mm2 would be fine) onto the end of the 25mm2 aluminium.

What he will probably do is trim the cores to fit ?

Of course he could just have hooked it into your Chang isolators :whistling:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, tryasimight said:

I don't think a switched MEN link is particularly good practice though. 

I agree.

But the MEN in this case isn't switched. Incoming neutral to the ground bar and then to the bottom of the RCBO, incoming live direct to the bottom of the RCBO. Correct!

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

I agree.

But the MEN in this case isn't switched. Incoming neutral to the ground bar and then to the bottom of the RCBO, incoming live direct to the bottom of the RCBO. Correct!

I confirm I followed the instructions, I am waiting to see if the new guy does the same after taking out all the wiring.

He said what I did ( falang ? ) was no good.

Well I have to say the guy who works for PEA and does jobs on the side,  has done a good job finishing off the electric works to suit what Sukhothai PEA wants.

My wrong I guess was not finding out what PEA in my area wants as of now.

It is apparently from what I gather 5/15 and getting 15/45 instead was the problem. 

1. The 1 x 100 cable fixed was not a thick enough core PEA specify from meter to CU and CU to the earth rods.

2.  2 extra earth rods were installed one for each unit instead of just the one.. 

3. The earth cable bar 2.5 wire to earth rods was replaced by 1 x 25.

4. Out of 3 sockets per unit of which one was a earthed 3 pin the other 2 pin sockets were replaced by earthed 3 pin.

5. The CU RCBO was wired with 1 x 25 cable to the correct position's.

6.  The 1 x 25 Wire running through brackets with knobbly things from the corner of the building was run and taken to brackets with knobbly things to the post where PEA will put the meters.

2 Earth rods were only 1.5 metres apart which was the only one thing from memory I could see which rang wrong but no matter.

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks but I'm retired.

When it comes to electrical issues in Thailand, you never retire, you just get put in limbo until the next panic occurs!

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

My wrong I guess was not finding out what PEA in my area wants as of now.

It is apparently from what I gather 5/15 and getting 15/45 instead was the problem. 

Yeah, that figures. Despite 10mm2 being good for 75A PEA like at least 16mm2 copper / 25mm2 aluminium on a 15/45.

Thanks for the lowdown on what was done, a few thoughts below.

1. See above
  2. Overkill, but they seem to want individual installations, reasonable
  3. 25mm2 to the rods is oversized, but better too big ... - Is it aluminium? Watch for corrosion where it joins the rods.
  4. OK, they want all grounded outlets, fair enough.
  5. Those little CUs must be getting a bit crowded
  6. One assumes the "knobbly things" are the insulators ? Looks fugly on a building but it's the norm here.

Two rods that close together and not linked contravenes the regs in most countries, it's not immediately hazardous but a close lightning ground strike could induce some hefty circulating currents.

I really don't like aluminium cable particularly indoors, it tends to cold-flow and cause poor connections. Fizzing connections cause fires, the main reason aluminium is outlawed for building wiring in most of the world. Personally I would have terminated the aluminium outside (the Chang isolators) and run 16mm2 copper to the CUs with 16mm2 in the CUs themselves. But if what you have now meets the requirements of The Man then it's fine.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Those little CUs must be getting a bit crowded

Well to ease the crowding he took CU's off wall and put this boxes on the wall to take in all the cables.

box6.jpg.07bc06c10f98f586b35d7475da30fc13.jpg

The CU's were fixed on top with two single 2.5 amp cable coming into the CU two blue to neg bar, two brown to MCB's 10 / 20. 

The Knob insulators on 3 brackets he put up high on a corner tucked under the roof overhang and then he took cables to 3 brackets on the PEA meter post leaving the cables for PEA to connect to.

They look OK it's the PEA post which is ugly the usual spaghetti junction.     

Thanks for your support and the other guys here.

Archived