Feedback on plan for seven month stay

Hello all!

My wife and I are planning to live in Thailand for seven months starting in September 2018, enough time for a six month lease in Chiang Mai and a little buffer time on either end to travel the country a bit. We are citizens of USA and going to be living off savings so won't be working. I've been reading the forums and trying to get a handle on what is the easiest and drama-free method of a seven month stay, it's difficult because it seems things change a lot and are quite inconsistent depending on entrypoint. Would appreciate feedback from the experts in here, the plan =

Sep. Arrive on intl flight from USA, get exemption 30 days

Oct.  Extend exemption + 30 days

Nov. Round trip flight to Laos, obtain 60 day Single Entry Tourist Visa

Jan. Extend SETV + 30 days

Feb. Border run overland (not Poipet), exemption 30 days up reentry

Mar. Extend exemption + 30 days

So in a nutshell I end up with Exemption (60) + SETV (90) + Exemption (60) = 7 months. Would be a total of one airport exemption in 2018, one SETV in 2018, and one overland exemption in 2019.

Are there any major flaws here? We haven't been in Thailand since early 2017, and have the following in the passports we'll be using:

2017 = one exemption via overland entry in January

2016 = one exemption via overland entry in April

2015 = intl flight arrival on SETV extended to 90

Thanks in advance for any advisement.

Edited by masterblaster

IF you and your wife are over 50 year of age and your wife is a falang as well...To make it absolut easiest for you,,,. why not buy a non immigrant "O" in the US (single entry  3 months)..

And then during the last 30 days of that VISA, apply for extension of stay based on retirement. Your wife (falang?) can apply as dependent to your extension and doesn´t have to show any income.

It seems much easier theh that runaround with hips of VISAS and border runs.. Just thinking..

glegolo

13 minutes ago, masterblaster said:

Sep. Arrive on intl flight from USA, get exemption 30 days

Oct.  Extend exemption + 30 days

Nov. Round trip flight to Laos, obtain 60 day Single Entry Tourist Visa

Jan. Extend SETV + 30 days

Feb. Border run overland (not Poipet), exemption 30 days up reentry

Mar. Extend exemption + 30 days

Have you considered getting a multiple entry tourist visa that allow unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the date of issue.

Better to get a single entry tourist visa for the first entry than entering visa exempt. You may be asked to show a ticket out of the country within 30 days of entry to board you flight to here if you don't have a visa.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, glegolo said:

IF you and your wife are over 50 year of age and your wife is a falang as well...To make it absolut easiest for you,,,. why not buy a non immigrant "O" in the US (single entry  3 months)..

Not easy to get the single entry non-o visa in the US. The embassy and the official consulates will not issue one. As far as I know the honorary consulates also will not issue one now.

• Like 1

Hi again thanks glegolo and ubonjoe for the info.

I'm 50 and my wife is 47. I've looked into the ME but it sounds like they require proof employment letter, which isn't possible for us since we're living on savings. We could easily prove any requirements of money in the bank and I've heard of people setting up their own company to meet the ME employer requirement but we'll only be in USA for a couple weeks before heading to Thailand so not sure enough time to get everything together.

you can buy a relatively cheap one way ticket to a nearby country to show the airline when you check in for your flight in the USA (assuming you decide to arrive visa exempt).  try air asia, i believe their cheapest flights are to kuala lumpur but they might have sale/special deal to another destination.  known as a 'throwaway' ticket, i had to do that a few times.

i'm also from the USA and considered the METV when they first came out.  i remember reading someone got around the employment letter, i think it was at the consulate in LA.  maybe calling the consulate that covers your area would help clarify if you can get around that item. 

Thanks buick.

We are planning on having a burner ticket for that initial arrival, last time I looked cheapest was $30 to Singapore on AA.

Another factor for/against METV is that it really doesn't bother us two visa runs in seven months. I realize people living in Thailand long term it gets old and becomes a chore, but we haven't been in the area for awhile so would probably be somewhat excited to have a short trip to a neighboring country for a few days. We're tourists too.

METV should would take a lot of the x-factor out on being the random person given drama on reentry.

Edited by masterblaster

41 minutes ago, masterblaster said:

it really doesn't bother us two visa runs in seven months.

understood, i typically enjoyed the visa runs when i had to make them.  i'm not sure what it is like to extend a visa exempt entry in CM.  i've never read any complaints about it on this board so i assume it is not too time consuming.  i have read about people lining up before dawn to do an  extension related to long stay (retirement and marriage) in CM. 

10 hours ago, masterblaster said:

METV should would take a lot of the x-factor out on being the random person given drama on reentry.

Since you are over 50 years old you should check with the embassy or one of the consulates in NY, Chicago or Los Angeles since you could be considered to be retired which would be equal to being employed and then show enough financial proof for your visas.

• Like 1

CM Immigration is a busy office.

Then insist a TM30 is filed beforehand to get a 30 day extension.

They also insist a new TM30 must be filed if you exit/ re-enter the Country.

If your leasing for 6 months, I'd check that the landlord is aware of this requirement, or alternatively supplies copies of their Tabien Baan and ID card so you can file the TM30. You could face refusal of a 30 day extension  and fine until the law is complied with.

Hi, maybe I am missing or overlooking something but it looks to me that applying in your home country for a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) would be the easiest option.

Such METV (which spans 6 months from date of application) allows you to stay multiple periods of up to 2 months in Thailand.  And you can extend each 2-month stay with an extra month at the local Thai immigration office (no need to wait till final day to apply for the extension, the 30 day extension will be added to the 2-month expiry date of your entry with the METV).  After that maximum of 2+1 months stay you need to leave Thailand.  But since you intend to do some travelling in the region, that could be a trip to Laos, Myanmar or Cambodia (or any other country).  When re-entering Thailand you are once again entitled to a 2-month stay (which can be extended with one month - see higher). 

If you re-enter Thailand days before expiry of the 6 months since application, you can stay effectively 8 months in Thailand (with minimum 2 border-runs).

In my opinion going for METV will give you the least visa-headache, as it only requires you applying for METV at your home-country and the possible 1 month visa-extensions at the local Thai immigration office.

Welcome to LoS!

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Since you are over 50 years old you should check with the embassy or one of the consulates in NY, Chicago or Los Angeles since you could be considered to be retired which would be equal to being employed and then show enough financial proof for your visas.

Intriguing! I wonder how this works that I'm 50 and wife is 47. We'll be near Washington DC visiting my parents while in USA so there is the embassy nearby.

I'll try to contact them.

8 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi, maybe I am missing or overlooking something but it looks to me that applying in your home country for a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) would be the easiest option.

Thanks!

Yeah the only thing with METV was proof of employment letter, we aren't working just in an extended travel slacker stage of life living on savings. Ubonjoe had an interesting suggestion, I'll try to investigate further.

20 hours ago, masterblaster said:

Thanks!

Yeah the only thing with METV was proof of employment letter, we aren't working just in an extended travel slacker stage of life living on savings. Ubonjoe had an interesting suggestion, I'll try to investigate further.

Hi, I am from Belgium (Schengen zone) and in my home country - and am therefore pretty sure this is applicable for all EU countries - there is no proof of employment needed to apply for an METV visa, just showing that you have enough funds on your bank-account is sufficient.  But if a proof employment is a requirement in the US to apply for an METV-visa, then I understand that road is blocked in your situation. 

17 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi, I am from Belgium (Schengen zone) and in my home country - and am therefore pretty sure this is applicable for all EU countries - there is no proof of employment needed to apply for an METV visa, just showing that you have enough funds on your bank-account is sufficient.  But if a proof employment is a requirement in the US to apply for an METV-visa, then I understand that road is blocked in your situation. 

You are wrong. I am from Sweden, and here are the requirement for METV for us, and mind you, we are EU as much as you are:

Multiple Entry Tourist Visa

Quick Check list

• Application form (click here to download)
  • Original passport
  • Copy of passport (the page with your information)
  • Two photographs
  • Copy of arrival and departure ticket to Thailand
  • Bank statements
  • Employment certificate
  • Hotel/Accommodation reservation
  • Application Fee, 1500 Swedish kronor in cash

glegolo

I emailed the embassy in DC describing my dilemma, saying I could supply both the bank statement and additional paperwork showing investment portfolio that we are using to fund our annual expenses in retirement. They responded quickly saying proof of our retired status along with info on financials would suffice. That's still a bit open to interpretation since while we are retired (never working again) we don't fit in any official retirement category like collecting a pension from a government or private company.

We're planning on getting letters from our last employers stating that we resigned three years ago to retire and our final annual salary. Hopefully that along with financials should do the trick.

I'll be sure to update the thread with what goes down in September when we make the application.

Thanks again everyone.

16 hours ago, glegolo said:

You are wrong. I am from Sweden, and here are the requirement for METV for us, and mind you, we are EU as much as you are:

Multiple Entry Tourist Visa

Quick Check list

• Application form (click here to download)
  • Original passport
  • Copy of passport (the page with your information)
  • Two photographs
  • Copy of arrival and departure ticket to Thailand
  • Bank statements
  • Employment certificate
  • Hotel/Accommodation reservation
  • Application Fee, 1500 Swedish kronor in cash

glegolo

Hi, since we are both from EU, I presumed the requirements for an METV would be same in all EU countries.  But from your reply, it seems they are NOT.

Indeed, when applying for an METV to the Thai Embassy in Belgium, there is no need for an Employment certificate.  You only have to show that you have 6000,- Euro on your bank-account (the other requirements are same).

I am 'living proof' of the above, because I am not employed anymore and quit my job (without being eligible for pension yet) to live of my savings.  And had no problem whatsoever getting the METV (2nd time I am doing this already).

By the way, I think it rather strange and illogical to require an 'employment certificate' if you just come as a tourist.  Having enough funds for the period that you are coming, is indeed a much more logical requirement.

• 1 month later...

Hello again, I'm back for promised update.

We applied for an received METRs at the Thai Embassy Consulate in Washington DC. Instead of letter verifying employment we both contacted our last employers and asked them to send us letters validating that we did indeed work there before retiring to travel, which was honest and proved sufficient. The process was quite easy with no long lines, polite staff, and we were able to pick them up in two business days instead of the advertised five.

Thanks again for all the replies and help, best of luck with everything.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 7:44 AM, glegolo said:

Non-immigrant O is not available in USA. Non-immigrant O is only given for family related visa in the US (portland may give you if you have a condo). Otherwise, no consulate will issue you an non-immigrant O. Vest is to get an Non-immigrant O-A (long-term visa) for one year. Easy ot get from DC

On 7/7/2018 at 5:39 PM, masterblaster said:

That's still a bit open to interpretation since while we are retired (never working again) we don't fit in any official retirement category like collecting a pension from a government or private company

Technically there is no visa called retirement visa. You can extend a non-O visa for one year based on retirement. Even to obtain such an extension, there is no requirements for a pension, Even SS does not start at 50. 

As you mentioned the DC office is willing to give you an METV with fund in banks, your best bet is to take it. Otherwise, come to Thailand with a SETV and extend it for another 30-days. After that, sort out your remaining 4 months by doing border runs.