Phuket tour boats overturn in storm, rescue mission launched

snoop1130

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

Relatives need to go after their governments and really make this a shit storm! Lessons need to be learned in a country that never learns

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What would that lesson be please?

5 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Yep- forecasts are always 100% accurate aren't they!

Apparently this one was 100%...when it could be a life or death situation  like going out to sea,mountaineering,flying etc I think it would be stupid not to take note of the forecasts.

6 hours ago, jaiyen said:

You obviously are not a seaman or diver. It is not about it being rough, which it is, but the swells are huge too. Look at the left side of the photo at the big swell. Also the tourist divers were stupid to go out in that weather.

You're right, I avoid the sea due to a bout of severe seasickness in a relatively small boat many years back.

5 hours ago, saminoz said:

The "captain's" experience and qualifications should be put under a microscope, as should the construction, modification history, maintenace and safety inspection records of this passenger vessel.

Of course, this being Thailand..............................

I am willing to bet that the only thing you can find is how old and how long the Captian has been a sailor (even that word is stretching the point).

Watch the video of the boat sinking. It was swamped from the stern and listed to port. The sea state did not not so severe when it when down. Can't  tell what happened before that but no bow breaking waves. No working pumps would explain this. But for sure not a side swipe roll over.

www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1046605-videos-reveal-treacherous-weather-conditions-near-where-boat-capsized-off-phuket/?tab=comments#comment-13146237

1 hour ago, markaoffy said:

Relatives need to go after their governments and really make this a shit storm! Lessons need to be learned in a country that never learns

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Take a number...

53 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Welcome to the hub of greed and incompetence!

"An investigation has been ordered into why the boats went out, despite severe weather warnings".

I think your post negates the need for any investigation.

There is no culture of learning from disasters in Thailand and no will by the government to fix any of them..... thus speeding mini-vans and buses kills dozens, tourist boats sink, jet ski's crash and the merry-go-round called tourism continues head long to the next disaster unabated.  

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

The sea in the pictures doesn't look that rough to me. Maybe these photos were taken after 'the storm'.

I have to question how sea worthy these vessels are.

I have to say this...A Photo taken of a rough sea does NOT give a proper perspective of how wild it really is. Having taken photos myself while riding out a Typhoon off Vietnam, and looking at photos later....The sea did not look so rough in the photos... 

7 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

If you go to a 3rd world country you will get 3rd world safety standard.

Its unbelievable that you put the search on hold in the night when you actually are in the area with rescue resourcers where seconds, minutes and hours make the difference between life and death…:coffee1:

As a sailor's son, a sailor's grandson, and an ex-sea rescuer volunteer, every time I approach or board a boat in Thailand that made my hair stands on end, not for one reason but for more than one.

In intervention for small or even bigger pleasure boats I have seen incredible things and incredible behaviours, but normally with professional sailors, it's should be the same rules all over the world, 

but no,  not in Thailand,  because even on many ferries it's hardly better!

1 minute ago, Tchooptip said:

As a sailor's son, a sailor's grandson, and an ex-sea rescuer volunteer, every time I approach or board a boat in Thailand that made my hair stands on end, not for one reason but for more than one.

In intervention for small or even bigger pleasure boats I have seen incredible things and incredible behaviours, but normally with professional sailors, it's should be the same rules all over the world, 

but no,  not in Thailand,  because even on many ferries it's hardly better!

Unforunately - this applies not just for Thailand - Eastern Europe have had their history up to recent in addition to Greece with their old and poorly maintained ferries going between the different islands...

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

What would that lesson be please?

I would think that the obvious answer is there needs to be a thorough and transparent investigation as to why this happened. The conclusions in theory would provide the future lessons.

Sadly , and im sure few would disagree , we will likely see a whitewash.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

1 minute ago, PEE TEE said:

True and third world storms 

If you really want to take a look at the islands, it may be a better idea to do so from a view point on-shore - its a lot safer and in addition its free...:whistling:

13 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Unforunately - this applies not just for Thailand - Eastern Europe have had their history up to recent in addition to Greece with their old and poorly maintained ferries going between the different islands...

I think Indonesia probably takes the biscuit in sea disasters followed possibly by the Philippines. Thailand needs much more islands before they can compete in that league.

Right now, Thailand's also working on getting onto the list of cave rescues.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I think Indonesia probably takes the biscuit in sea disasters followed possibly by the Philippines. Thailand needs much more islands before they can compete in that league.

Right now, Thailand's also working on getting onto the list of cave rescues.

Yes, u have right - in Thailand after all it may be a lot safer on the sea than on the road based on the statistics...

I hope the Chinese government will warn their citizens not to come here.

The tour operator can't say no to a big Chinese group even if they knew the weather would be bad. Its all about the business and money involved. A westerner would be more careful . If they check the weather forecast online a few minutes before departure it would probably not be leaving.

29 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Yes, unfortunately, I should say sadly, in  fact, you are right :sad:

i say bs. i was surfing most of the day yesterday in phuket.  waves and sea not formidable at all 2 meter waves tops breaking at the beach and no freak waves. not nearly enough to rock an old guy on a shortboard.

boat either not seaworthy, had serious maintenance flaw, overload and not balanced, captain incompetent.

all passengers should have had a properly donned life vest before leaving, no exceptions.

Archived