Phuket tour boats overturn in storm, rescue mission launched

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, 0815 said:
8 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

If you go to a 3rd world country you will get 3rd world safety standard.

Not at all ...
Only if you book with irrisponsible acting morons.

the other option   book with responsible morons

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife just showed me a video of the boat just as it started sinking.  The captain was clearly incompetent!  He had the stern of the boat to the waves and was taking on water over the stern.  If he had turned the bow toward the wind, he would not have had that problem.

It is possible that the boat had so much windage from that overbuilt top deck that the wind forced the bow away, but in that case he could have dropped the anchor.  Even if the water was too deep for the anchor to reach the bottom, the drag of the anchor and chain in the water would have helped keep the bow turned into the wind.

From the photo of the vessel it looks extremely top heavy shallow draft flat or semi v bottom,only suited for protected waters before you hang the captain do you know if he was trying to get the snorklers aboard?was he maneuvering to collect his passengers?with an enherintley unstable vessel the only chance you would have is to get her head up into the wind a tragic story to be sure rip to the lost 

12 minutes ago, Tug said:

From the photo of the vessel it looks extremely top heavy shallow draft flat or semi v bottom,only suited for protected waters before you hang the captain do you know if he was trying to get the snorklers aboard?was he maneuvering to collect his passengers?with an enherintley unstable vessel the only chance you would have is to get her head up into the wind a tragic story to be sure rip to the lost 

No ... he was already on his way back to Chalong. 6 other boats had the sense to shelter before heading back. Captain made a bad decision.

37 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

My wife just showed me a video of the boat just as it started sinking.  The captain was clearly incompetent!  He had the stern of the boat to the waves and was taking on water over the stern.  If he had turned the bow toward the wind, he would not have had that problem.

It is possible that the boat had so much windage from that overbuilt top deck that the wind forced the bow away, but in that case he could have dropped the anchor.  Even if the water was too deep for the anchor to reach the bottom, the drag of the anchor and chain in the water would have helped keep the bow turned into the wind.

Yes ... I agree. Boat had a high bow. Turn to sea and wind. Boat safe. Looks like for some reason stern took on water (as you say stern to waves but waves not that bad) and bilge pump not work enough.  Very poor sea man ship from the video evidence. I comment with 25 years of marine experience. 

What would that lesson be please?

1)Not to play with weather thinking you can miss a storm by 2 hours 2)have competent captains of boats! 3) strict limits to passengers numbers and checked 4)Oh and money not being the prime consideration when sailing ! Lessons that are unlikely to be learned but forgotten !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

1)Not to play with weather thinking you can miss a storm by 2 hours 2)have competent captains of boats! 3) strict limits to passengers numbers and checked 4)Oh and money not being the prime consideration when sailing ! Lessons that are unlikely to be learned but forgotten !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1. Forecast didn't indicate this storm

2. Agreed

3. Is limited and checked

4. That is your conclusion, seems based more on your perception than facts.

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

usually I defend Thailand and how things are done locally, but regarding this, your comment is moronic.
As a tourist, you have very little information on who you book with.

9 hours ago, SlyouThai said:

because it cost money , and because they dont give a shit about people dying, if they did that would do something about road safety for a start . Kids died trapped in this boat with their parents , nobody will give a shit. meanwhile they gonna build a new phuket airport.... what could go wrong heh ?   BATH BATH BATH BATH

Include soap? 

8 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

And there is not much left in the budget after pay all the tea monies and brown letters.

We all know Thailand will never really develop while corruption is accepted and thrives at all levels of gov and society. Everyone wants their share of the 'cake'.

This "we all know ' comment gets right up my nose. 

Why are you still here?  Assuming you live here or just another would be/ has been commentator. 

3 hours ago, manarak said:
4 hours ago, atyclb said:

usually I defend Thailand and how things are done locally, but regarding this, your comment is moronic.
As a tourist, you have very little information on who you book with.

seems you are defending how things are done locally by calling my comment "moronic"

defending how things are done locally

hmmm, that sounds real intelligent

On 7/6/2018 at 4:03 AM, ukrules said:

The sea in the pictures doesn't look that rough to me. Maybe these photos were taken after 'the storm'.

I have to question how sea worthy these vessels are.

I have to question the ability of the captains, you can't trust drivers on the roads.. how much training does a sea captain go through?

Seems you can't be safe anywhere!

I am on a boat to the Racha islands about 3 days a week, and after reading and watching will try to explain what I think happened in lay man's words.

To return from Racha to Phuket are 2 ways, straight, after 16km or so open sea keeping Coral island on the right, or after about the same open sea distance keeping Coral island on the left. First option is fastest and offers shelter from the wind coming from the right earlier, but means having the wind and waves more coming from the side.

The captain choose the shortest route, the boat being quite high up got pushed left, water/waves entered on the back, pumps couldn't handle it, boat listed and sunk. He should have taken the longer route going more against the waves in stead of from the side. 

Just now, Wilsonandson said:

The captain is always the last to leave his sinking ship.

Not in Thailand.
tapatalk_1530924612205.jpeg

His boat was overloaded and why didn't he check the shipping forecast before setting sail?

Just look at this clip. Surely this weather had been forecast.

The boat wasn't overloaded and this weather was not in the forecast.

I was just trying to work out what was going on in the clip at post 232.

Hard to say for sure, but it seems they might have lost one or more overboard and were trying to retrieve them. A small boat had been let out on rope and there appeared to be heads in the water. This would explain the stern into the wind.

A crewman, not the captain, was at the helm at the time.

On 7/5/2018 at 10:23 AM, pistachios said:

I haven't dived for a while around Phuket but the biggest boat I have ever boarded had about 40 divers max, it seems incredible to host 97 people on a diving boat.

How can a boat this size can capsize in those waters? It's not the roaring forties...

Is it like an old big fishing boat refurbished and with many decks added that would drastically worsen its stability?

The number seems crazily too big but doesn't surprise me.  Will wait to see the details.

11 hours ago, atyclb said:

i say bs. i was surfing most of the day yesterday in phuket.  waves and sea not formidable at all 2 meter waves tops breaking at the beach and no freak waves. not nearly enough to rock an old guy on a shortboard.

boat either not seaworthy, had serious maintenance flaw, overload and not balanced, captain incompetent.

all passengers should have had a properly donned life vest before leaving, no exceptions.

If you were surfing at the time that storm hit I presume you're now at the Krabi bus station trying to convince them to give  a free ride back to Phuket to an old codger in boardies and carrying a plank.

Near my place is a German owned RIB factory build as stolidly as the reputation of the owners nationality. It's survived for many years and countless storms without a problem.

This is what happened to the roofing in the wind the other day:

IMG_0358.JPG

lets be honest, NO Captain of any boat worth his salt would put his boat stern  to, to large waves, that is sheer bad seamanship.

NO captain worth his salt would overload his boat.

No Government would allow ( unless 3rd world countries ) would allow the changes to any boat which makes it unseaworthy and then give it a license to ply its trade.

Sp here we have a catalogue  of problems which ended with the sinking of a ship and many deaths.

All can be firmly laid at the Captain, owner and even Governments door they ALL compolicit either by lax controls and administration ( not unusual herre0 and by incompetence or just turning the other cheek .

Unfortunately here we have seen so many accidents and major problems just swept under the table so no-one loses face , well NOW WE HAVED MULITPLE DEATHS, no amount of Wai-ing or saying sorry will or even paltry compensation will stop the sadness or sorrow. Thai Authorities , the owner and the Captain need to be hung out to dry over this. 

But will it ever happen...……………………………….NO !!

So I have sent this story to ev ery major NEWS OUTLET IN THE UK , SUGGEST OTHERS DO THE SAME TO THEIR COUNTRIES , TO WARN TOURISTS never GO ON A THAI LOCAL BOAT . !!

Archived