S.O.S -- Drill bit needed

Social Media

Hey Guys - anyone out there know where I can get longer drill bits ?

I specifically need a 4mm wood bit that is longer than the usual 50mm.

Ideally 100mm length. No luck locally, Lazada had some in China but that was all I could find.

Online purchase in Thailand if possible I dont want to wait weeks buying overseas.

Thanks

Edited by Black Ops

Drill bits are normally gauged to a slenderness ratio, so you will notice the smaller they are the shorter they are. I have put some off centre pressure on long drills and they snap like chocolate.

I get frustrated with the same problem sometimes trying to get the chuck to grip onto 1mm for some extra length.

is drilling 50mm into each side an option for you?

57 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Drill bits are normally gauged to a slenderness ratio, so you will notice the smaller they are the shorter they are. I have put some off centre pressure on long drills and they snap like chocolate.

I get frustrated with the same problem sometimes trying to get the chuck to grip onto 1mm for some extra length.

is drilling 50mm into each side an option for you?

Unfortunately no.

Its only accessible from one direction. Thats what bothers me with these 12 inch/ 300 mm drills I have found online, they seem like a "snap" waiting to happen. 100mm would be ideal.

I did wonder if the hex drive drills were any longer ?? An extra inch on that hex drive shaft might do it ?

I've been in your exact situation. Hardware stores don't have long bits. I ordered ones from lazada--when these cheap bits start to bite the wood the drill bit bends and twists into a knot and goes into the garbage. Ones ordered from amazon work very well.

• Thanks 1

Any Makita authorized dealer could order genuine Makita drill bits in Thailand. They might need a larger order than one inexpensive drill bit. A busy shop would place several orders a week for genuine Makita parts in Thailand. The Makita Omnibohrer series of Multi Purpose drill bit D-35069  is 4 by 70.   The Makita Brad Point wood drill bit with 1 1/4" Hex shank number D-15877 is a 4 by 90.  Single spur Makita Wood Auger Bit with a Straight Shank start at size 6 by 200.  Any Makita dealer in Thailand can let you look through the catalog pages they are given from Thai Seng the only importer to Thailand of Makita and Maktec Tools. 

Buriram Thailand Makita HSS Metal Drill Bit.JPG

• Thanks 1

Veerasiam Hardware Co., Ltd.
1015/6-8 Sukhumvit 71 Rd., Klongtan Nue,
Wattana, Bangkok, Thailand 10110
Tel: 0-2392-8002  Fax: 0-2713-1200
              Mobile: 0830183930
www.veerasiamhardware.com

Contact Person:
Mr. Wuthi Lertratkosum
Tel: 0-2392-8002
Fax: 0-27131200
Email: [email protected]

Give them a call? Either yes or no?

Last resort? Buy a 4mm 160mm masonary bit and grind the tips to cut wood.
41UapwdKUeL._SY450_.jpg

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cooked said:

For what it's worth I stopped using wood bits years ago. The metal bits are a bit slower but seem to do the job better with tropical woods.

Cheap (low quality) wood bits will do a poor job. High quality wood bits will do a much better job than any bit with a metal cutting tip grind.

if you have the correct tools you can put a wood (brad point) cutting profile on to a metal cutting bit and have the best of both worlds.

I have, I do, they do.

image.thumb.jpg.6eaf1bf4e3276876edfbe79a6f316090.jpg

Don't have a ruler handy and can't visualise the width, but for deep holes in wood I use those flat tip boring bits. Getting old and forget the correct name for them. Not sure if as small as 4 mm- long time since I used one. If I can't get a small enough  bit I use the smallest I have, and pack the hole with a thin piece of wood, like a skewer.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't have a ruler handy and can't visualise the width, but for deep holes in wood I use those flat tip boring bits. Getting old and forget the correct name for them. Not sure if as small as 4 mm- long time since I used one. If I can't get a small enough  bit I use the smallest I have, and pack the hole with a thin piece of wood, like a skewer.

They are spade bits, and the smallest I've seen is 10mm 

IMG_4459.JPG.bd666d32e7eed88f3fac2657ff005dd3.JPG