First time visit advice

Mattybyrne88

And another newbie advice:

don't change much money on the airport premises.

Just what you need for taxi/first few hours.

Then change in the city/Pattaya.

The rates at the airport are terrible.

• Like 1

always split 1000 bills at any chance when you go to

a mall like big c or 7/11

never buy on the street beside perhaps food

always repeat questions to make sure there

is no possible question marks before paying a single baht,

like for instance when you barfine a prostitute.

try out a few ladyboys and tell us how it went

11 hours ago, Mattybyrne88 said:

plan to pack light and buy all my clothes there

Be forewarned if you're a "well fed" farang, finding what you want that fits can take some searching. Things labeled L or XL or XXL  may not correspond to what you are used to.

53 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I thought that they all did , but I was referring to the ATM fee , which you dont have to pay if you use over the counter

I used to do over the counter at Bangkok bank but they stopped doing it about a year and a half ago and started sending me to their ATM..(both branches in town).. ATM 220 Bt per transaction...max withdraw 20,000 Bt... then I used Krungsri for quite a while.. free over the counter until about six months ago  then they started charging 220 Bt as well for over the counter at least they do it and you can get any amount you like.. but haven't tried over 50K.. their ATM is 30,000 max so still use it  220 Bt.. other banks here just point to their ATMs.. could be they don't speak English and it is the easiest for them.. or maybe policy ..don't know..    Is it different elsewhere?

Its a shame there is not a specific Thailand forum where the OP could go and ask advice, get answers to some questions etc.
Agree. Answers like "Google yourself", "read guide books" ridicule the good old forums in the long run.
I do give helpful answers when I can (i.e. to the OP about vaccinations), but questions of the "i-know-nothing-tell-me-all" kind do not sit so well with me. OP did not say and ask anything about interests, women, culture etc that could be answered

Sent from my CPH1821 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I used to do over the counter at Bangkok bank but they stopped doing it about a year and a half ago and started sending me to their ATM..(both branches in town).. ATM 220 Bt per transaction...max withdraw 20,000 Bt... then I used Krungsri for quite a while.. free over the counter until about six months ago  then they started charging 220 Bt as well for over the counter at least they do it and you can get any amount you like.. but haven't tried over 50K.. their ATM is 30,000 max so still use it  220 Bt.. other banks here just point to their ATMs.. could be they don't speak English and it is the easiest for them.. or maybe policy ..don't know..    Is it different elsewhere?

Yes. Only 150b in Aeon ATM’s because they are not Thai crooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

From my research...."Super rich" has the best rates. Can be found on the basement floor at BKK airport.
VASU Exchange near Nana BTS station (Soi 9 Suhkumvit) has best rates in Bangkok. Check their exact current rates on their website. No additional fees so what they post is what they exchange.

8 hours ago, dotpoom said:

From my research...."Super rich" has the best rates. Can be found on the basement floor at BKK airport.

On Sukumvit Soi 7 there is a very good money changer. Right about where you are staying. Just bring $100 bills (my preference). Good rate. But you will need baht for the taxi from the airport. Foodland supermarket on Soi 5. Very good pharmacy West(?) of Soi 4 and Sukumvit. Villa supermarket in Ploenchit Center.

Eat the wonderful street food.

Curious what the DJ equipment is for. Planning on DJing in Thailand? In your room?

Don't let the momasans convince you to pay her for the girl in advance. Take girls to your room. You will be a better man for the experience but pick sweet girls.

Don't believe any sob stories from Thai women or expats.

Avoid Tuk Tuks, mostly driven by scammers and thieves.

She doesn't love you, even though you are convinced she does.

Only pay for services rendered, don't ever pay for the promise of future services.

Ladyboys are not transsexuals, they all have a penis (so are transvestites).

I wouldn't spend much time in Bangkok, you should be in Pattaya for most of the time.

Edited by BritManToo

On 7/7/2018 at 4:20 AM, Mattybyrne88 said:

6. What's the best places to eat near soi cowboy and nana as my hotel is between those areas. 

You're in the best place to "eat" anyway. Enjoy the "meal". Beware of food poisoning the day after you feast. That often happens when you eat dirty oysters, especially around that area. Once in a while you might also encounter a sausage when you thought you ordered an oyster. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 11:20 AM, BritManToo said:

Don't believe any sob stories from Thai women or expats.

Avoid Tuk Tuks, mostly driven by scammers and thieves.

She doesn't love you, even though you are convinced she does.

Only pay for services rendered, don't ever pay for the promise of future services.

Ladyboys are not transsexuals, they all have a penis (so are transvestites).

I wouldn't spend much time in Bangkok, you should be in Pattaya for most of the time.

You should believe sob stories from expats ABOUT Thai women though.... You don't have to fall into a cave in order to know that there is a cave ahead. Heed the warnings. 

• Like 1

One of my friends got malaria there, barely survived(( and after he fell in love with a Thai woman...now they have a cute child)) so, you never know, what expects you on your next life turn)) 

And one more thing what I do before traveling, I check how danger is the region, such things like a flood or a seismic activity. I check it here https://allatra.tv/en/earthquakes . Thai is located in a quite unstable region. You never know if you'll be lucky or not))

Edited by 737Nell

The last injection i got for here was in 2002
I got bit last week,my whole body felt aches and pains for a day or two
Fever- hot cold etc, then i was fine again,dengue is big here,but i will take my chances,here up in the North of Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect