First time visit advice

Mattybyrne88

I have a lot of questions to ask. It's my first time and solo travelling and a little nervous!!

i decided to book for 7 nights in Bangkok and 4 nights in Pattaya late September and plan to pack light and buy all my clothes there

1. Can I bring prescription medication and non prescription( ventalin Inhaler and motilium tablets etc ) or should I just buy over there so I can get threw customs easy.

2. Should I bring cash in euro or exchange to baht when there. I'm bringing two bank cards but just need the cash to show to immigration. And also thinking of doing fast track.

3. Should I get injections before I go ? They are extremely expensive so unsure  if I should get them 

4. Are atms safe over there or should I use the bank in case my card is swallowed 

5. Any good places to go fishing in Bangkok or Pattaya ?

6. What's the best places to eat near soi cowboy and nana as my hotel is between those areas. 

7. Any other tips and places/things to do   would be great. I haven't a clue about Thailand. 

Prescription Meds you should bring with Doctors Letter if you want to be safe. Personally I have never bothered

I have had all immunisations, again its just a risk. 

ATMs are safe, there have been instances of skimmers like anywhere, but generally very safe.

If you carry Euros then they are easily changed at a currency exchange, there are plenty and better rate of exchange than bank generally.

Thousands of food choices, dont worry about the best ones, that depends on your budget and tastes.

1 hour ago, Mattybyrne88 said:

4. Are atms safe over there or should I use the bank in case my card is swallowed 

Get cash over the counter at banks , safer from skimmer and eating and save yourself 250 Baht in the process

The lamb ready for the potential slaughter ?

Don't be walking along with a Gomma Pyle smile, don't act confused, hang at a few local bars where you can see some xpats, hopefully speaking your lingo, and ask a few questions, they should give you heaps of advice, check your tab everytime they put the ticket in your cup to pay later.

Plenty of fishing between the places your staying, just watch out for the barracuda's and sharks.

I bring meds back with me all the time, customs don't even stop you, just walk straight through, but always carry a doctors letter.

You seriously need to do some reading up on Thailand, Youtube is a good place to start and here on TVF is full of experiences, so listen up and learn, be prepared. Pattaya is a big place, lots of story's told there, good and BAD.

Enjoy your stay, and remember, once you get yellow fever, your life will change forever.......or something else for that matter.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mattybyrne88 said:

( ventalin Inhaler

Can get in Thailand pharmacy's & travel sickness pills.

3 hours ago, Mattybyrne88 said:

I haven't a clue about Thailand. 

Google it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

If you carry Euros then they are easily changed at a currency exchange, there are plenty and better rate

From my research...."Super rich" has the best rates. Can be found on the basement floor at BKK airport.

• Like 1

Thailand has probably the most dangerous roads in the world. Although they officially drive on the left that isn't always the case (they can come at you from all directions) so take care when crossing any roads even on a pedestrian crossing controlled with traffic lights. A lot of Thais will ignore a red light. Also, even if you are an experienced rider think very carefully before renting a motorbike, and don't even contemplate it if your travel insurance doesn't cover you for traffic accidents. Stay safe!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

You're staying between Soi Cowboy and Nana but asking about fishing ???

Troll

He said he's going to Pattaya also. 

You're the TROLL... and Sweden will blank your arss tonight. 

• Haha 1

1) Both meds look uncritical. Bring them with you. Searching around for the original brand or a generic is not what you want to do on holiday. Trivial meds (pain, discomfort) are everywhere. It's a med swallowing country.

2) Bring as much cash as you fell comfortable with. The bigger the notes the better.

Crispy untainted notes. DON'T buy Thai Baht at your place. Very bad rates abroad.

Whether or not you want to do a long trip to squeeze out the last few Baht depends on amount and your comfort.

3) No injections if staying in Bangkok and Pattaya, eating at reasonably clean places and not doing naughty stuff if you know what I mean. Generally a Hepatitis A/B vacc. is well invested if you consider coming to Thailand repeatedly.

4) ATMs in enclosed space (shopping centers, bank premises) do not pose a specific risk.

5) :biggrin: Bangkok? In the Pattaya area maybe. You would have to ask in the Pattaya forum.

6) Don't know

7) Too many. Both for Bangkok and Pattaya.

Depends so much on your personal interests.

Edited by KhunBENQ

fishing in BKK bungsamran but take money with you as its expensive over there. You can also fish in Ayuttaya at bung pla bug much cheaper but harder to fish and harder to find plus you need your own equipment.

The question about the meds should best be answered in the health forum where there is a qualified moderator.

But to reassure I searched for both in the forum.

Ventolin Inhaler:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/891559-ventolin-inhaler-price/

Motilium:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/337340-domperidone-brand-name-motilium-available-in-thailand/

From the threads it is very clear that both are not controlled/restricted in Thailand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mattybyrne88 said:

1. Can I bring prescription medication and non prescription( ventalin Inhaler and motilium tablets etc ) or should I just buy over there so I can get threw customs easy.

2. Should I bring cash in euro or exchange to baht when there. I'm bringing two bank cards but just need the cash to show to immigration. And also thinking of doing fast track.

3. Should I get injections before I go ? They are extremely expensive so unsure  if I should get them 

5. Any good places to go fishing in Bangkok or Pattaya ?

6. What's the best places to eat near soi cowboy and nana as my hotel is between those areas. 

7. Any other tips and places/things to do   would be great. I haven't a clue about Thailand. 

1) Not much chance of being checked at customs etc and would be no problem if checked, most pharmacuticals also available in Thailand.

2) Cash is king, better exchange rate less fees etc. ATMs are reasonably safe, but expensive, 220 baht atm fee and often fees 2-3 times that back in home country account. So get large amounts each withdrawal, use ATMs at banks, less chance of tampering and can get card back etc if something goes wrong.

3)I wouldn't worry about injections.

4) See 2), some skimming etc so ATMs at banks are safer.

5) fishing at Pattaya, fishing parks and fishing boat trips etc.

6) There is every level of food you want from street/market food to fine dinning. Food courts in shopping malls are always cheap, clean,  good food, high turnover etc

7) Have Fun.

Edited by Peterw42