Info on condos in Rawai

Juri1

Hi. I'm going to try remote work for 3 months Nov-Jan, and currently I'm set on Phuket. I would like some info to help me plan.

Based on an old thread I found here Rawai seems like a good place. I looked at some ads online and found that I might be able to get a 1 room condo for 15k baht or more, mostly more. Does anybody know it would be possible to just show up and find such an apartment in the lower price range? Or are they usually all rented out during that period?

Is it possible to find cheaper if I skip going through an agency?

I don't have a driver's license. However, I'm not very keen on moving around, more than walking around the neighborhood streets (bars, supermarket, maybe gym). Will this work in that area? And is it easy to find transportation to e.g. Nai Harn Beach? Cheap? Or would you recommend another location on the island? 

Edited by Juri1

14 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Even in high season you should have no problem finding a place on the spot in your target area. Prices in Rawai I can't comment. 

Okay thanks! That's good

Yes that is easily achievable, I live rawai and pay 6k month for that in a spacious apartment. 16k will get you a nice condo in a nice building with gym and pool nearer to chalong but then you need to deal with all the roadwork mess.

I would recommend getting a scooter to get around though as taxis can get expensive.

Edited by theonetrueaussie
added more
  • Like 1

In my opinion Rawai is not the place where to go if you do not have a scooter or at least a bicycle.

In Raway the various services that you may need are not so close, maybe a more "touristic" area, with more shops, restaurants, etc, would be advisable.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, federicoP said:

In my opinion Rawai is not the place where to go if you do not have a scooter or at least a bicycle.

In Raway the various services that you may need are not so close, maybe a more "touristic" area, with more shops, restaurants, etc, would be advisable.

Not agree. That only applies to areas near the beach. 2 km more inland then there a wealth of local facilities within easy walking distance. OP needs to get there and have a good look about. Mind you he will need transport for the day to get about and seek the for rent signs. 

2 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:
11 minutes ago, federicoP said:

Not agree. That only applies to areas near the beach. 2 km more inland then there a wealth of local facilities within easy walking distance. OP needs to get there and have a good look about. Mind you he will need transport for the day to get about and seek the for rent signs. 

I was about to reply in similar vein.

Everything is available for the laid back visitor in the Rawai, Nai Han area.

Rawai beachfront to NH beach is less than 3 km if you're into walking. There's about 300,000 scooters for hire in the area for a cheap price if you're not a walker. They're relatively safe in that area if you stay off the main highway and don't ride drunk. Many good little bars and restaurants around without the full on hedonistics of Patong.

Heaps of small supermarkets and stores everywhere for most of your needs, larger supermarkets are a couple of k up the highway.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mysterion said:

I agree.

You can easily find a place on the prime west coast within a short walking distance to a good beach and all the amenities.

If you desire a busy nighlife, stay in Patong.

If you desire a better beach, but not too far from patong, consider karon or kamala.

If you desire more quiet lifestyle with a good beach, and dont need as much nightlife, look at surin, bangtao, or kata.

You wont even need to rent a motorbike if you are staying in any of the aforementioned beachside areas.

Rawai tends to be for the long-term working/retired expats that have a car and  go to beach once in a blue moon. It tends to be cheaper in rawai for a number of reasons. 

If you are only staying for 3 months it would be nice to be walking distance  to a good beach and all the amenities

Karon or Kamala seem like a good match. You (or someone) wouldn't happen to know the rent prices there? Only found one online at 10k baht/month. But that one required a 1 year contract. 

I'll have to check it out ofc. But would be nice to know what to expect

4 hours ago, Juri1 said:

Karon or Kamala seem like a good match. You (or someone) wouldn't happen to know the rent prices there? Only found one online at 10k baht/month. But that one required a 1 year contract. 

I'll have to check it out ofc. But would be nice to know what to expect

Look in the facebook groups for phuket property buy/sell/rent. It is very active with many properties for rent.

Make duplicate free “wanted “ postings on all the property groups(there are several) and ask for a quote and pics of whatever you want(location/size/amenities/price etc), and you will likely have agents and private owners PM you with ideas and offers fairly quickly.

To give you an idea on the starting price for a private small studio room in a small basic clean guesthouse, i would guess it would probably start at about 300-500 baht daily including aircon, internet, and cleaning, if you negotiate to pay one month in advance.

Whereas a small studio in a condo would probably set you back a bit more(400-700 daily based on a 3 month contract) because of the gym and pool and you may also need to pay extra electricity charges + optional cleaning charges on top..

just my guesses on the prices..

goodluck ?

Edited by Mysterion
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Juri1 said:

Okay, now I'm thinking Rawai again. Thanks for the help everyone! Now I know everything I need before getting there

Haha. It can be confusing.

Just to help you narrow it down....Most people holidaying in rawai are families who are usually renting a less expensive pool villa and probably renting a car to traverse long distances. Depending on where you are staying, the closest decent beach is Nairharn, and it could be a 10-15 minute drive from you.

The fact is that most Phuket tourists stay in centrally located west coast towns of Patong, followed by Karon/kata, Kamala, Surin, Bangtao.

Do you really want to stay in a super-quiet and relatively isolated location down in the far south of phuket island?

Keep in mind...You will almost certianly need a motorbike rental in Rawai,  and it will be a  30-40 minute one-way drive each visit to Patong should you feel the need for active entertainment and the biggest variety of dining.

Edited by Mysterion
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

Haha. It can be confusing.

Just to help you narrow it down....Most people holidaying in rawai are families who are usually renting a less expensive pool villa and probably renting a car to traverse long distances. Depending on where you are staying, the closest decent beach is Nairharn, and it could be a 10-15 minute drive from you.

The fact is that most Phuket tourists stay in centrally located west coast towns of Patong, followed by Karon/kata, Kamala, Surin, Bangtao.

Do you really want to stay in a super-quiet and relatively isolated location down in the far south of phuket island?

Keep in mind...You will almost certianly need a motorbike rental in Rawai,  and it will be a  30-40 minute one-way drive each visit to Patong should you feel the need for active entertainment and the biggest variety of dining.

Hmm hmm hmm, good points! Now that you put it clearly like that I... I'll have to sleep on it haha

Edit: I didn't realize until now that my math was wrong earlier. Thought that I couldn't afford Karon/kata based on your guesses. But now I see that I can! Thanks again! You've been a great help

Edited by Juri1