SETV and METV issues

Hi

I am presently in Thailand having arrived just after Christmas on a SETV which I got in London. When this visa expired I made a Visa run to Vientiane. On this trip the company which I use informed me that it is no longer possible to spend prolonged periods of time in Thailand (9-12 months+) using back to back Tourist visas and that after 2 or 3 it is likely I will receive a stamp in my passport which indicates no more SETV's will be issued and that at that point a person needs to return to their country of origin, apply for a new passport and then return. A number of people on the visa trip received these stamps.

Since October I have been taking a sabbatical from my job in London, to spend 1-2 years writing a novel ( a hobby ). As I have enjoyed spending prolonged periods of time in Thailand in the past I decided I would like to do my writing here. I was not however aware of this new issue regarding back to back Visas. 

In a few weeks I have the opportunity to attend a wedding in the UK and was contemplating getting a new empty passport whilst there which would remove the two visas (and extensions) I have already and then apply for a new visa. 

I have read that it is possible to get an METV visa in London and I was wondering if I qualify. 

I am not currently employed but have proof of employment from wage slips up until October last year and I have 16,000 pounds in savings which has been in my bank since that date.  I have read that a letter from an employee ( letter from accountant if self employed ) is needed but I was wondering what is the option for those like myself who are neither employed nor self employed but can demonstrate proof of savings? 

My final question is how long an METV would take. In the past when applying for SETV it has arrived within 5-7 workings days. As I will not be in the UK long I was wondering if this is the same for the METV.

Thanks very much for your help

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Changing passports won't erase your immigration records unless you also change your name, date of birth and face.

Immigration records do not matter it seems. It is based on the number of stamps counted in the passport. The company told me this is the current method and is working. Someone on the visa trip who had previously received the 'no more visa' mark in his old passport successfully received a tourist visa in his new passport on my last trip. 

Edited by mutypup

44 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Having a visa does not guarantee entry.

You may receive a visa from an embassy / consulate outside of Thailand but when you land the Thai Immigration will have your previous records and it is they that decide whether you can enter or not.

Thank you, though this is a separate issue and one I always expect when arriving in Thailand. 

I am referring specifically to applying for and receiving visas. The stamp which they place into the passport is a note for embassy / consulate staff.   

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

In person the METV should be the same day if you go early. Technically you can only get with an employer letter or company reg doc & SA, this is what i provide

Where? Perhaps at one of the honorary consulates in the UK.

At the embassy in London it is next day service in person. It can also be done by mail to the embassy. 

You can apply for the multiple entry tourist at the embassy or one of the consulates.

Requirements are here on embassy website. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

One of the honorary consulates might be more flexible on the employment requirements. List here: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/organize/81958-Royal-Thai-Consulates-in-the-UK-and-Ireland.html

Just now, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for the multiple entry tourist at the embassy or one of the consulates.

Requirements are here on embassy website. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

One of the honorary consulates might be more flexible on the employment requirements. List here: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/organize/81958-Royal-Thai-Consulates-in-the-UK-and-Ireland.html

Thanks very much. Reading through things it seems without being employed or self employed despite having proof of funds it would seem unlikely I would receive the visa. I may have to possibly rethink what I will do if (as it appears) staying here beyond 6-9 months per year is not possible on tourist visas

As you have been warned, at most consulates (including Vientiane) the number of SETVs you can get is limited.

If you can get an METV in the UK while there, I would certainly advise taking advantage of that.

Over and above that, at the current time, you can get unlimited SETVs at Savannakhet in Laos if you meet their requirements. There are multiple threads on this board that discuss those requirements.

I think you are going to be on a pretty tight budget, so I do not discuss other options in detail. However, it is more enjoyable for most people (albeit more expensive) to get SETVs in multiple locations. Places like Hong Kong, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi and Yangon will each issue you a couple of visas without trouble.

Obviously, the situation is subject to change over time, and you should keep an eye on this board for changes.

• Like 1

Thanks very much. Reading through things it seems without being employed or self employed despite having proof of funds it would seem unlikely I would receive the visa. I may have to possibly rethink what I will do if (as it appears) staying here beyond 6-9 months per year is not possible on tourist visas

Yes it is possible to stay for that time frame on SETV & visa exempt.
The key is to use different embassy,
For example after 6 months in 2016 in Thailand I spent 7 months in Vietnam. I got a SETV in HCMC then got 2 back to back SETV in HK, and then 2x land border visa exempt.

No red stamps no warning to renew passport yet.
BUT I'm sure if I go to Vientiane next I might get a red stamp.

If you change embassy after 2 SETV I doubt u will get a red stamp for a 9 month stay.

Ps HK only need to see a copy of your passport and entry stamp into HK for a SETV application.

Good luck with your writing

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

You should know that each single entry tourist visa good for 60 days can be extended for 30 days at immigration in Thailand for 1900 baht  Also each 30 day  visa exempt  entry can be extended for 30 days for 1900 baht.