Paypal's rip off fees & forex - alternatives, please!

Hi All

KTB send a bank wire for 1,600 THB. Was pleased with the whole experience.

Today, a friend sent me 3,002.xx THB which arrived as 66.xx € and the fee was 273 THB. Whoa!

Smaller amounts... Gotta pay credit card balances... How do you handle those small payments?

Thanks,

10 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

When you make a payment with Paypal you can select the exchange be done by your credit card company.

Mmm, I asked them if I could get a "code" for a Thai bank account. (Got such a 'code' for my bank payments to Paypal in Europe). Answer: call the Irish number...

14 minutes ago, HuwGro said:

Two very good services I use online - transferwise and worldremit

Ditto the above - also use a comparison service " monito " ( google it ). Have noticed that Superich have expanded there presence of late if one needs to exchange cash at close to transferwise rate.                            There is a company called Instarem which operates out of several countries - difficulty for Thai bank transfers is the need for an approved country to operate from and receiving OTP via phone in that country - rate good and fees nearly half that of   Transferwise.                                   

Some folk use a friend in 'accepted countries' to transfer for them.

Edited by Capt Rob
incomplete posting
  • Like 1

By occassion (a few months ago) I found an nice alternative on LinkedIn, at least very usefull to European expats due to the bank's policies & the fact of using the IBAN system. Register & id check is easy done online, use full online banking + cell app & multible cards are aviable. But the best of it: use your cell app to convert cash in any currency & transfer money from your account to your card(s) and even controll how its used if you give one to your thai wife or girlfriend = 100 % controll via your cell ???

https://www.paysera.com/ref/5926410

IMG_20180708_221157_473.jpg

Edited by German farang
Add aditional info

3 hours ago, HuwGro said:

Two very good services I use online - transferwise and worldremit

I use TransferWise as well. Saved me a ton of money.

12 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

In my experience Paypal is a very dirty company, they have blocked my account for more then 1 year, because they change the rules from one day to another.

I have more then $1900, I can't  use that money because it is blocked.

Please elaborate on what the reason was or blocking, so that I might avoid that.  I had flawless experience with PayPal for years in the US. I once called customer service at 9pm and got connected right away to a rep who immediately had my back with a vendor dispute, totally handled it and called me back with a resolution.  Now with a Thai account I've found it's impossible to talk with CS, they only respond with generic Q&A and leave me in the dark. And then send a survey. But there's no box to check Service Sucks. 

I use cryptocurrencies and bx.in.th, the money arrives fast at my Bangkokbank account. Last year it became my hobby (to heat my house in northern Europe mining cryptos), and I transferred the 200 000+ THB profit to my Bangkokbank account without issues, and no questions. Fast. But I guess this is not main stream yet ?, might even be an option that dies off in some time ?

3 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Please elaborate on what the reason was or blocking, so that I might avoid that.  I had flawless experience with PayPal for years in the US. I once called customer service at 9pm and got connected right away to a rep who immediately had my back with a vendor dispute, totally handled it and called me back with a resolution.  Now with a Thai account I've found it's impossible to talk with CS, they only respond with generic Q&A and leave me in the dark. And then send a survey. But there's no box to check Service Sucks. 

Before they blocked, I used it for a number of years for paying things at eBay, Bangood etc.., then they started demanding all kinds of personal information, what I refused because I felt that was not neccessary, after all, before that moment it all went without problems.

Paypal apparently thought different about it, and blocked the account!

On 7/10/2018 at 10:31 AM, German farang said:

By occassion (a few months ago) I found an nice alternative on LinkedIn, at least very usefull to European expats due to the bank's policies & the fact of using the IBAN system. Register & id check is easy done online, use full online banking + cell app & multible cards are aviable. But the best of it: use your cell app to convert cash in any currency & transfer money from your account to your card(s) and even controll how its used if you give one to your thai wife or girlfriend = 100 % controll via your cell ???

https://www.paysera.com/ref/5926410

IMG_20180708_221157_473.jpg

Hi can this service be used to transfer funds from a Thai bank to a UK bank

23 hours ago, SattahipBri said:

Hi can this service be used to transfer funds from a Thai bank to a UK bank

This service can be used for almost every kind of banking. I suggest you follow the link & read. They even have an life chat for your questions.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:52 PM, German farang said:

Why not?

It is customary to let people know what you get out of posting an referral/affiliate link. Then they can decide for themselves whether to click through to give you the benefit or just to click through a clean link, such as this one; https://www.paysera.com

Edited by KneeDeep
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

It is customary to let people know what you get out of posting an referral/affiliate link. Then they can decide for themselves whether to click through to give you the benefit or just to click through a clean link, such as this one; https://www.paysera.com

Ok, you're right. A few short days  before my post I found out that this Paysera is really interesting staff, so I just used "copy & past" out of their conversations. Btw: one can't make money by just "click" on affiliate links, so I haven't seen any problems. But if someone register after read, learn & may life-chat with this bank - why not?

I don't see any problems about that.

16 minutes ago, German farang said:

Ok, you're right. A few short days  before my post I found out that this Paysera is really interesting staff, so I just used "copy & past" out of their conversations. Btw: one can't make money by just "click" on affiliate links, so I haven't seen any problems. But if someone register after read, learn & may life-chat with this bank - why not?

I don't see any problems about that.

Wrong. One can make money by someone clicking through your referral link. 

People can "register after read, learn & may life-chat with this bank" by utilising a clean link; https://www.paysera.com

Income from each recommendation

From every client, referred by you, who brought income to Paysera, you will receive 10 %. The more of your friends use our services the more rewards for you. Give at least three recommendations that bring income and start getting bonuses.

https://www.paysera.com/v2/en/affiliate-program

I don't like this kind of surreptitious behaviour. 

The form is to be honest about it. Most won't have a problem.

40 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Wrong. One can make money by someone clicking through your referral link. 

People can "register after read, learn & may life-chat with this bank" by utilising a clean link; https://www.paysera.com

https://www.paysera.com/v2/en/affiliate-program

I don't like this kind of surreptitious behaviour. 

The form is to be honest about it. Most won't have a problem.

Read carefully again, everything including my statement!

Since this is a serious bank nobody can make any money just by "click" an link! Anyone can click, read, request, call, or even life chat to get informed, without any consequences! This affiliate program starts only to work AFTER any new customer already registerd himself successful AND satisfied used it!

So what exactly is 'dishonesty' or 'surreptitious'???

I posted this link because I found it by myself (I am a very satisfied customer) as a very usefull tool for all expats, specially those by european origine. 

So now you may elaborate your very own reason to falsely accusing me here? Having just an boring Saturday? What's your driving motivation? Or there are even other strange selfish 'reasons' in your mind?

According to your last words:

I really don't like such manipulating & dishonesty superior behavior & slander!

Cheers

2 hours ago, German farang said:

Read carefully again, everything including my statement!

Since this is a serious bank nobody can make any money just by "click" an link! Anyone can click, read, request, call, or even life chat to get informed, without any consequences! This affiliate program starts only to work AFTER any new customer already registerd himself successful AND satisfied used it!

So what exactly is 'dishonesty' or 'surreptitious'???

I posted this link because I found it by myself (I am a very satisfied customer) as a very usefull tool for all expats, specially those by european origine. 

So now you may elaborate your very own reason to falsely accusing me here? Having just an boring Saturday? What's your driving motivation? Or there are even other strange selfish 'reasons' in your mind?

According to your last words:

I really don't like such manipulating & dishonesty superior behavior & slander!

Cheers

I'm not falsely accusing anyone. You posted an affiliate link. Of that there is no doubt. Someone might click on it, register and fund the account. The referrer benefits from that.

If you don't want to be seen as a referrer, don't post referral links.

Post clean links. Then no one can accuse you of surreptitious behaviour.

If you really want me to read carefully what you write, then I'll also point out that Paysera is not a bank at all, as you claim.

It's a Lithuanian company that has a licence to operate as an electronic money institution from the Bank of Lithuania.

My first post on the subject was on Friday, not Saturday.

Perhaps you should calm down. You are getting yourself into a tizzy.

18 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

I'm not falsely accusing anyone. You posted an affiliate link. Of that there is no doubt. Someone might click on it, register and fund the account. The referrer benefits from that.

If you really want me to read carefully what you write, then I'll also point out that Paysera is not a bank at all, as you claim.

It's a Lithuanian company that has a licence to operate as an electronic money institution from the Bank of Lithuania.

Just come back to this thread as exchange rates are as close to my heart as my pocket - checked the Paysera rate for AUD to THB and it is displaying well down on Transferwise without the fees.                Fees seem a little unclear from my quick read ( 7 euro s ? ) Whilst this may be cheaper than Transferwise's fee the rate was poor. suggest using " monito " which will give one a comparison over the better ones ( small base ? )

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

??? you are still not well informed. I stated to be a customer. I got bank accounts (main account + visa card accounts) in the Bank of Lithuania, use the additional services from Paysera & my visa cards carry the name of Paysera. So yes, a real bank ?.

And again: there is no reason not to post my direct link, because it makes no difference at all which link to click.

Just stop to claim & show up superior. You aren't.

1 hour ago, Capt Rob said:

Just come back to this thread as exchange rates are as close to my heart as my pocket - checked the Paysera rate for AUD to THB and it is displaying well down on Transferwise without the fees.                Fees seem a little unclear from my quick read ( 7 euro s ? ) Whilst this may be cheaper than Transferwise's fee the rate was poor. suggest using " monito " which will give one a comparison over the better ones ( small base ? )

Update: during business travel to Hanoi I used last night an local ATM with one of my visa cards from Paysera. Result: the pay out was higher then the official viet govt exchange rate (checked online their website & several big local banks), even despite all expected fees like visa card & exchange rate.

Ones again satisfied.

Edited by German farang
Grammer (I'm not a native english speaker)

2 hours ago, German farang said:

??? you are still not well informed. I stated to be a customer. I got bank accounts (main account + visa card accounts) in the Bank of Lithuania, use the additional services from Paysera & my visa cards carry the name of Paysera. So yes, a real bank ?.

And again: there is no reason not to post my direct link, because it makes no difference at all which link to click.

Just stop to claim & show up superior. You aren't.

Nope. Not a real bank. You are still writing nonsense. Bank of Lithuania is a real bank. Paysera is not. They just 'cooperate' with banks.

If you don't understand that, you should not be here, 'advising' people.

Yours is not a 'direct link', but a 'referral/affiliate link', for which the owner can profit if someone creates an account. Customers like yourself are given such links as an incentive to introduce other people to the service. Not the same as a direct link. Good form is to make that clear.

You are digging a deeper hole for yourself with each post and quickly losing any credibility you may have had at the beginning.

From a look at their reviews; https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.paysera.com

Caveat Emptor.