I want to open a (cheap) (Thai) steak restaurant, any idea ?

GSFGSF

27 minutes ago, Slip said:

Where I live well outside BKK these places have been around for years, and as the OP says they are very popular.  There are a number of famous chains that migrated here from the big smoke, though they are thinner on the ground now.  T Bone for 100 baht.                           

Thank you for your confirmation. This is SO clear for anybody who knows life outside Nana plaza and Pattayam but many here haven't been outside these 2 streets for a while it seems ?

Edited by GSFGSF
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, BangkokSausage said:

Why do all these bizzare threads start with posters who joined 2 hours ago

Because until now nothing else to ask, as I was doing only business that I know perfectly.

But I enjoyed reading great messages as yours for years ❤️

• Sad 1

QUESTIONS:

100% of these steak restaurants do not offer rice instead of fries, and do not sell Somtam.

I am wondering if Somtam would bring more people to the steak ? And please do not reply me that Thai do not eat somtam with steak, Thai eat what we tell them to eat and what they see other Thai eating.

Thai eat somtam with barbecue chicken, so why not with steak ?

At least if 2 people want to eat and one want somtam, it might be a chance to have both at the shop ?

Somtam is so easy to do and it's perfectly acceptable to sell it as expensive as steaks, 50 baht.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, GSFGSF said:

QUESTIONS:

100% of these steak restaurants do not offer rice instead of fries, and do not sell Somtam.

I am wondering if Somtam would bring more people to the steak ? And please do not reply me that Thai do not eat somtam with steak, Thai eat what we tell them to eat and what they see other Thai eating.

At least if 2 people want to eat and one want somtam, it might be a chance to have both at the shop ?

Somtam is so easy to do and it's perfectly acceptable to sell it as expensive as steaks, 50 baht.

If someone is interested to really contribute and learn, please reply to the questions, as I won't reply anymore to stupid messages talking about work permit or anything that is not asked. Some people read books and during that time some people make money. I count myself among the latter.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, GSFGSF said:

Sorry but it seems ridiculous to think that we will have less than 25 customers a day...

All steak steak restaurants that I know in Bangkok must have a least 100 customers daily, some 200 or more...

1 hour ago, GSFGSF said:

No staff. The only person working at the restaurant will do everything alone....

?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, poanoi said:

for me, it all about the sauce that goes with it, ...

I hear you.  Sometimes I throw away the food I make for myself and only eat the sauce.  I sometimes screw up and make a nice sauce, but cannot remember exactly what I used, or the proportions.  Must be "Monk Sauce".  You never quite know what's in the bowl after you stir it up.  555

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, but then it only leaves you with 25baht for the "steak'

since i almost always refuse to eat without a nice sauce,

that mean i can either eat no steak at all, or eat 25 baht steak + 25 baht sauce

• Like 1

I actually ate at one of these so called 49 baht steak joints.  The steak was a pork steak, no beef was sold in the place.  Some Thais seem to think any meat can be called steak.  However, even though it was port, it was a good deal price wise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, this idea only comes from the other have, because this is the new trend but no matter what you are hearing from her she has no experience except from rumors of friends.

For the other poster yes you can get a Thai Steak for 49-69 baht, it is Thai beef but the slice is like 3 inch wide and not very thick.

If you are in Pattaya,  Go to Pattaya 3rd road off Pattaya Klang, go down about a 2 Km, and on the left there one of those steak houses that seem to have lots of customer you can see their menu, usually aside from the 49 steak, they get you on the other side items like Fries, could be 59 baht? By the time you are done it all ads up?

Now, the worse part...  ask your other half and do some math with her if you can without her losing face?  OVERHEAD, take that and divide it by 30 days and let her see how many steaks she needs to sell just to break even.  Even then she might not get it because you are supporting the business, the rent you are paying is basically her profit.  In the end, tell her to go into a Thai bank and ask them for a loan, if they will loan it to her then go ahead and foot the business.

Good luck

• Haha 1

QUESTIONS:

At least if 2 people want to eat and one want somtam, it might be a chance to have both at the shop [emoji846]

Seems a logical and intelligent way to go !

Somtam goes well with anything ( in Thai opinion not mine, I don’t eat it ) and I’m sure the older Thai at least prefer somtam to fries .
As for younger Thai ?, am not so sure they are as enamoured with somtam as their parents or grandparents, certainly western influence is changing youngsters diets.

To have somtam on the menu is a good option with low risk surely ?
  • Thanks 1

A steak house using Thai Beef no way, and a 49 Baht steak Cuckcoo land.  I lived in Bangkok for many years and every Thai street place advertising steak meant either Pork or Chicken steaks. We have a very large organic 'steak' restaurant in Chiang Mai, not a single piece of beef in the place, all Pork. Even at 200 baht there is no guarantee that the meat will be good. 500-600 more like in a restaurant.

Stick to something like good spare ribs, you cannot go wrong.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Denim said:

Best advice ..... don't do it.

If you are doing it for a hobby or to keep yourself busy and don't mind about not making any profit ....then go ahead.

But if you are doing it with a mind to make money ...forget it.

If you are doing it where there are many foreigners it won't work unless you can offer alcohol and eye candy.

If you do it where you are relying on Thai customers , expect an ok first week while locals check it out then death.

I have seen scores of steakhouse go bust within 6 months.

If you absolutely must try selling food stick to what sells. Noodles , khao man by , khao moo deng , phat Thai , khao ka moo etc.

If you do just this in the right place at the right time and make it aroy dee you might do well.

But steak business is not known to be easy because this is Thailand and poor Thai people like what they are familiar with.

Great advice Denim. Lucky for that Billionaire American who decided to give up on his idea to sell Pizzas in thailand 3 decades ago. ....that would have been a bad investment  ?

But you just go on thinking the poor thai people just like what they are familiar with. You'll be rich in no time with that attitude. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DGS1244 said:

A steak house using Thai Beef no way, and a 49 Baht steak Cuckcoo land.  I lived in Bangkok for many years and every Thai street place advertising steak meant either Pork or Chicken steaks. We have a very large organic 'steak' restaurant in Chiang Mai, not a single piece of beef in the place, all Pork. Even at 200 baht there is no guarantee that the meat will be good. 500-600 more like in a restaurant.

Stick to something like good spare ribs, you cannot go wrong.

May be the OP owns a cattle ranch? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, GSFGSF said:

No staff. The only person working at the restaurant will do everything alone, she is used to manage a shop 12 hours a day and she will do the same. If she has profit it's all for her. If no profit, no salary. As easy as this when someone knows how to deal with Thai ?

And you know?

• Haha 2

Wife and I have eaten at a few of these places here in Bangkok.    We usually order the pork steak or fish and for the price a good deal and the french fries are always outstanding.    Good luck with your venture.     

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, toenail said:

Thai beef is repulsive compared to “Western” beef ; most Thais do not like beef ( generally speaking) 

You better pick a different cuisine.

Plenty of Thais don't eat beef, they are good Buddhists.

• Haha 1