Phuket Hotels Association teams up with US Embassy to help eliminate single-use plastic

webfact

Phuket Hotels Association teams up with US Embassy to help eliminate single-use plastic

By The Thaiger

1500489772341.jpeg

The Phuket Hotels Association has joined forces with the U.S. Embassy Science Fellowship (ESF) Program to tackle the critical issue of waste management in Phuket, with the aim of eliminating single-use plastics at the island’s hotels.

Founded in 2001, the ESF Program promotes bilateral cooperation in the fields of science and technology. Since it was launched, nearly 300 scientists have provided their expertise to projects around the world.

Under the latest project, Dr. Marissa Jablonski, an appointed Fellow of the program, will conduct a 60 day research project in Phuket, beginning July 2, 2018. Using the latest technology and data collection tools, she will investigate plastic use and waste management at the island’s hotels and resorts. At the end of her assignment, Dr. Jablonski will create a final report detailing recommendations for the elimination of single-use plastics at all Phuket hotels and resorts.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-hotels-association-teams-up-with-us-embassy-to-help-eliminate-single-use-plastic

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-07-10
  • Like 1

The very evident  environmental enemy on Kamala beach at present is the 'single shot' plastic cup of water , usually offered up on tour boats.

They are lightweight , and are getting blown way up to the treeline in vast numbers.

Horrible things that need banning immediately !

• Like 1

Plastic = Pollution , nearly all ends up in the sea , causing big damage to the environment .

I recently bought a box of cookies , after I opened it I saw that every single cookie was wrapped in plastic . Who needs this ? I do not want it , next time I buy different .

Up to the government to regulate this now ! Make plastic expensive by putting a tax on it ! The money earned from this tax will not be enough to repair the damage done to the environment , but as a start ...

Noting  the amount of plastic packaging just given away at present , so plastic within plastic within plastic  - with a plastic  knife , fork and straw thrown in -  it must cost next to nothing!

I agree with the above - its time to make it 'cost' , so that producers think twice about how much they should  use before their product becomes too expensive.

Tax it and watch its used reduce , its viabilty as a  recycleable increase , and the environment suffer way less.

As for all containers  ( plastic , glass, cans ) - South Australia is the only state in that country with a 'deposit' on bottles.

And the recovery rate in that State  way outperforms all others.

So what are the other States waiting for ?

It can only be pressure from industry lobby groups , or corruption , that is keeping them from adopting the same measures .

Its way past time for the common people to get nasty with the law makers about their inactivity on this issue !