Heroes one and all: Thai media hails seven British divers key in cave rescue

snoop1130

19 minutes ago, UglyBug said:
Viewing:
Mission Impossible ? Possible For Sure 1f609.png? hope All who posted on day 6/7/8 that they were already dead and it was a waste of time and many , many others on Thai Visa Forum who posted derogatory remarks about the Thai Seals , Army , Volunteer Divers from All around the world ? and the support of the Thai locals and beyond , who made food and gave Hope to All the Team's involved Hang their heads in eternal Shame ! This was a one-off Rescue ! as I have been coming to Thailand since 1990 I know of no other ! let me know if there was ? I now think in the Intense Euphoria and the Goodwill between the Health Secretory Jesada Chokdmrongsuk ,Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-Ocha and Governor of Chiang Rai Narongsak Osottanakorn instead of training Navy Seals on Cave Rescue which Hopefully may never be needed again ? They should be looking at the state of vehicle driving All over Thailand ? where accidents and Death is a Daily occurrence ? for a start there are many underage kids riding motorcycles with no insurance , licence , or protection do not know or how to give signals ? go through red lights and do not know anything about road positioning this includes many of the adult population as well ? I live in a small village where traffic lights where erected at a junction at the local market I sit and witness every evening that there are All types of vehicles running through the red lights ? plus go up the wrong lane to cut across on coming traffic I have been driving for around 53 years and find the driving in Thailand Abysmal ?
It is so bad that I find three months is more than enough after driving here ! and I return the UK to recharge my batteries for a few month and have done for the last nearly 19 years
safe_image.php?d=AQAbQ-5W02PqH0M5&w=540&

The first half of your comment covering the cave, I agree with wholeheartedly.

Some of the posters should hang their heads in shame for the many of their remarks with some making  crass, low intelligent innuendos levelled at the coach, luckily some of these cretins got booted with at least one returning (booted again) under another name to maintain the nastiness. The parents of these low-life's must  be so proud of them

• Like 1

Considering the hundreds of support personnel as well as divers from China, Australia, Korea and the United States. I find the self serving posters of only BRITISH (God save the Queen, etc..) There is much credit to go around and no one denies that the original location of the stranded boys and their coach was made by a British diver but I still rate the poster of the 7 British HERO'S as self serving.

Don't forget the THAI diver who ran out of Oxygen and died. The only death in this great effort.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

That is a great help by International volunteer team, who helped Thailand. 

Thailand should not think all Farangs come to Thailand to take over Thai's jobs.

I can't see how they would think that, I stand to be corrected here, but are the biggest majority of Western people who actually live in Thailand not retirees. although like myself, they come here for a better life in their retirement which they will not get in their own country, I am referring to the Brits here, as I am not qualified to say anything about non Brits where this is concerned.

REALLY Bloody Great !  …  And Nice Job, every one.  …  NICE JOB.

I Re did this post of mine from yesterday, adding a few things, and now everyone, is out, we Can all celebrate.

Great thanks to the Explorers that found them, the rescuers, the medical people, and all the Pilots and drivers, and all of the Logistics and Emergency Services people.

I am an old, Big Mission caver from Australia, and have done quite a few of the much bigger, and longer Thai stream passage caves, often swimming through the moving water in them, … and all along though, I had no doubt that they would get them out, … if they could find them in time, … and they did.  …  Very Nice Job Fellas !  …  

Like sitting in a cave like that, and I have dome Many MANY hours of it, though not trapped,…. it is very noticeable that in the dark, … even handed Environment, where all are even for Physical ability, like caving is a small man’s Pursuit, as we can fit through much tighter spots that Bigger people can. 

….  In this environment, … many people can do things that other wide, outside in the bright light of day, they never would even think would be possible for them !  …  And well the small boys would have fitted through the pinch point, a LOT easier than the bigger men would have ! 

I used to teach other children how to do this, when I was younger, in Corralyn cave near Adelaide in South Australia (Where the Australian Doctor came from, I think, Adelaide)   Corralyn, Named after the Farmer who was there when it’s great extent  was discovered, …  A Very dry cave, but with a lot of Climbing in between multiple levels, and tens of Kilometers of passage ways to crawl through, and relatively safely, and exercise safely in. …  A great cave to train children in, in using their own skills and mind, … absolutely.

…  But I can now see how bloody scary it would have been for those boys trapped !  …  So bloody good job from them also !  …  To just sit there on that muddy bank, and remain Cool.  … 

Their Coach worked with them on meditation technique I do believe.

Thai schools I think, like the government one near where I live, teach the children Meditation I guess, ….  Just to sit there, heads bowed, or eyes just closed, and stay quiet, for about 5 minutes also … every day !  (Though TIT, sometime the teachers just go on talking quietly, like what a great opportunity for the children to eaves drop on them all so easily) …  No Australian schools ever do this from my knowledge, … 

So YES, there is still a Great upside to the Thai thinking, I think, which Well, is why many of us are here in the first place I guess.  …  And how they handle emergencies, ..  Quietly but well, mostly, all around, it usually, is a tribute to their nation, as well as the more skilled, and also brave divers also was, to the world.

…  Great Job Chaps … and the Chopper Pilots and Ambulance drivers also.

…  So to the Humor, … So now these boys have had some really great cave diving instruction, …  from the world’s best !  …  And passed a great practical exercise as well !  …  So they should all get Certificates of proficiency ?  Right  …

…  And now they have more than playing football, that they can do around their homes right up there at the top of Thailand, where there are a LOT of similar caves to this. 

….  I wonder if any of them will become future cave divers, … and one day be able to rescue others, … like they just have been.

…  A Very Positive out come all round, … though Condolences to the family of the man that died.  …  Almost a seamless outcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

Considering the hundreds of support personnel as well as divers from China, Australia, Korea and the United States. I find the self serving posters of only BRITISH (God save the Queen, etc..) There is much credit to go around and no one denies that the original location of the stranded boys and their coach was made by a British diver but I still rate the poster of the 7 British HERO'S as self serving.

Don't forget the THAI diver who ran out of Oxygen and died. The only death in this great effort.

I agree, the Brits deserve a lot of credit, but so do all the other drivers and support staff - that includes the tea-lady, maybe the Aussies should start banging on about the 20 tonnes of equipment they man-handled into the cave system, all the pumps and pipework carried in by the Thai military guys, the bird nest guys from the south risking their necks crawling into unknow areas looking for access to the cave system etc etc.

• Like 2

Well done Brits as well all nations involved. It’s awesome to see all the people working together and saving these Boys! 

If I remember correctly the Governor is being moved to another smaller

province because he didn’t along well with other officials.... 

i congratulate him for a job well done........ if he doesn’t get along with

other officials maybe it’s because he’s trying to make changes and not be a yes man.....Good on him!

• Like 1

…  And now I see they are allowing some comments on Trump’s, as usual, greedy American self-glorification … Well just Horrible, Lies ?  …  (Woops better still watch myself)  Tweet, … that got me suspended for 24 hrs., a couple of days ago, for pointing out to the moderator, that it was there, in the Thai Visa news feed, It was “Just a comment” I have been told by Customer care, but it was the comment, which was why myself and others had comment on at the time. 

And now people are commenting on it again. ... 

... Freedom of Speech ? ... Well at least the too old, Ignorant Lying Pig, (In my opinion) is generating a lot of discussion around the world, … about Freedom of the Press and Freedom of speech. ... And then we have Erdoanin Turkey, but we would be getting way WAY, too off subject if we went there ...

The report that CNN was biased in one news presentation was disappointing to me, as I really like their usual “Lets kick the absolute crap out of Trump” for as long as we can, ….  And I was sad to hear they forgot to mention our Good Auzie Doctor properly.  …  But well, almost universally everywhere else it was well reported and right on !  …  

Thanks People, … Good Journos also …

(Luckily, now I am on Holl’s in the EU, and living with people that do not watch CNN, or take any notice of Trump !  …  Yes …Germans !  Har Ha !  …  But they also put the cave rescue well first, in their news coverage also, it was on the radio, in just about every news Bulletin I think, as it happened, as I could hear them start it off with “And in Thailand” ….
…  Yes 

REALLY Bloody Great !  …  And Nice Job, every one.  …  NICE JOB.

Almost a Seamless outcome. Great.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Well done Brits as well all nations involved. It’s awesome to see all the people working together and saving these Boys! 

i congratulate him for a job well done........ if he doesn’t get along with

other officials maybe it’s because he’s trying to make changes and not be a yes man.....Good on him!

maybe he should run as PM, then really kick some arse when elected.

• Like 2

I think that one thing that should be learned from this near tragedy is that for once, the Thai Government (in the shape of one official in particular) was not "backward in coming forward" in asking for help in a situation that required it. As a result, the outcome has been an outstanding success for all concerned, and for that we should all be grateful.

Consequently, I think the Royal Thai Police can learn a valuable lesson here when the situation demands it e.g. a complicated murder case where the crime scene has been contaminated, and video footage is "unavailable" etc etc. And don't ask the outside help to assist, and then change track and ask for them just "to observe" - I think many posters on here will recognise the scenario.

This may be considered by some as "off topic", but the implications are obvious - don't look upon it as "losing face" to ask for more experienced help when you consider it necessary - the results can be well worth it, and at the end of the day, the whole world will congratulate you on a joint effort.

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sambum said:

I think that one thing that should be learned from this near tragedy is that for once, the Thai Government (in the shape of one official in particular) was not "backward in coming forward" in asking for help in a situation that required it. As a result, the outcome has been an outstanding success for all concerned, and for that we should all be grateful.

Consequently, I think the Royal Thai Police can learn a valuable lesson here when the situation demands it e.g. a complicated murder case where the crime scene has been contaminated, and video footage is "unavailable" etc etc. And don't ask the outside help to assist, and then change track and ask for them just "to observe" - I think many posters on here will recognise the scenario.

This may be considered by some as "off topic", but the implications are obvious - don't look upon it as "losing face" to ask for more experienced help when you consider it necessary - the results can be well worth it, and at the end of the day, the whole world will congratulate you on a joint effort.

The scenario you mentioned, goes much deeper than "face" it was really about the fix, protect your pay-master. 

• Like 1

Just now, Artisi said:

The scenario you mentioned, goes much deeper than "face" it was really about the fix, protect your pay-master. 

1 minute ago, Artisi said:

I agree entirely, but I am also talking about other scenarios where help or assistance may be required, but the BIB are reluctant to ask for it either because of "loss of face", or because they think they know best, and are "perfectly capable of handling it ourselves thank you!" Yet how many times do we hear of flawed investigations, the crime scene being contaminated by the responding officers, Pattaya balcony "suicides" etc etc?

56 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

THE ROYAL Gazette yesterday announced the transfer of Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osotthanakorn, who led the mission to rescue 13 footballers trapped in a cave, to the new post of governor of Phayao province.

The announcement also named 10 other officials who were being transferred. 

Narongsak’s transfer had been in the pipeline since April as a routine reshuffle within the Interior Ministry.

The ministry, however, is looking to issue another order to delay Narongsak’s departure until the rescue mission is completed. Although the missing footballers have been found and given initial assistance, the operation to evacuate them from the cave is not considered feasible until their health improves.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday reiterated that the transfer had been approved in April as a routine reshuffle within the Interior Ministry and was not a reflection on his performance.

Maybe true --- maybe not!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

I agree entirely, but I am also talking about other scenarios where help or assistance may be required, but the BIB are reluctant to ask for it either because of "loss of face", or because they think they know best, and are "perfectly capable of handling it ourselves thank you!" Yet how many times do we hear of flawed investigations, the crime scene being contaminated by the responding officers, Pattaya balcony "suicides" etc etc?

Not just balcony suicides, don't forget the 2 bullet holes in the head suicides. 

5 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I get the impression that you believe the English are the only people that help their fellow man?

No, but we are the ones who are more likely to pack up and leave without a fuss about how telling everyone how wonderful we've been! Oh! thats right one has already left!

Edited by phetpeter

10 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Not just balcony suicides, don't forget the 2 bullet holes in the head suicides. 

Yes, there are many dubious "accidents" and just as many dubious verdicts/explanations/investigations, but I think my point has been made, and I think we should now celebrate the good news! And maybe England will win the football tonight! Thank you for your input!    

Edited by sambum

44 minutes ago, sambum said:

Although I agree wholeheartedly with this, it was very clearly a situation that needed international assistance and thank goodness the outcome was successful, however, the cynic in me cannot help but wonder what would have happened should it have gone badly wrong, as to where would the critics have tried to lay the blame.

Edited by Mattd

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

Although I agree wholeheartedly with this, it was very clearly a situation that needed international assistance and thank goodness the outcome was successfully, however, the cynic in me cannot help but wonder what would have happened should it have gone badly wrong, as to where would the critics have tried to lay the blame.

I think that the headline would read "In spite of a truly International rescue operation involving countries from all around the World, unfortunately ...................." etc etc etc

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

I think that the headline would read "In spite of a truly International rescue operation involving countries from all around the World, unfortunately ...................." etc etc etc

I would certainly hope so.

9 minutes ago, sambum said:

11 minutes ago, sambum said:

As a cynic and a realist, it would more likely read  "in spite of all the International involvement, the rescue was a failure" 

2 minutes ago, Artisi said:

As a cynic and a realist, it would more likely read  "in spite of all the International involvement, the rescue was a failure" 

Possibly, but I prefer my version!

Nothing more to add then all people already have except this all out British thing will probably be the reason why we see them in the final to beat France!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Happy enough said:

no way? the aussie doctor died? you got link for news on that. looked like a seriously strong bloke to me

**it was his dad that died.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/father-of-dr-richard-harris-adelaide-cave-diving-expert-who-played-vital-role-in-thai-rescue-has-died/news-story/f127bab6a634a216cd9d5aa04cfe7514

Yes his father passed away just before he came out of the cave.  He has been trying to find an urgent flight straight home and story has it the Australian embassy are getting him straight home.

4 hours ago, UglyBug said:
Viewing:
Mission Impossible ? Possible For Sure 1f609.png? hope All who posted on day 6/7/8 that they were already dead and it was a waste of time and many , many others on Thai Visa Forum who posted derogatory remarks about the Thai Seals , Army , Volunteer Divers from All around the world ? and the support of the Thai locals and beyond , who made food and gave Hope to All the Team's involved Hang their heads in eternal Shame ! This was a one-off Rescue ! as I have been coming to Thailand since 1990 I know of no other ! let me know if there was ? I now think in the Intense Euphoria and the Goodwill between the Health Secretory Jesada Chokdmrongsuk ,Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-Ocha and Governor of Chiang Rai Narongsak Osottanakorn instead of training Navy Seals on Cave Rescue which Hopefully may never be needed again ? They should be looking at the state of vehicle driving All over Thailand ? where accidents and Death is a Daily occurrence ? for a start there are many underage kids riding motorcycles with no insurance , licence , or protection do not know or how to give signals ? go through red lights and do not know anything about road positioning this includes many of the adult population as well ? I live in a small village where traffic lights where erected at a junction at the local market I sit and witness every evening that there are All types of vehicles running through the red lights ? plus go up the wrong lane to cut across on coming traffic I have been driving for around 53 years and find the driving in Thailand Abysmal ?
It is so bad that I find three months is more than enough after driving here ! and I return the UK to recharge my batteries for a few month and have done for the last nearly 19 years
safe_image.php?d=AQAbQ-5W02PqH0M5&w=540&

I'm with you and at the same maybe you can work on your sentence structure so people can understand what the hell you are talking about.

https://www.grammarly.com/

• Like 1

Well if the overpaid, overhyped English football team can't take inspiration from the way these British Cave Rescue Divers have performed tirelessly for the past 14 days, and put in enough effort for a mere 90 minutes to beat Croatia (who have only a total population of 4.28 million to choose their team from) then I think they should all be taken 4+km into Tham Luang Cave, and left for the remainder of the wet season... 

Edited by steve73
  • Haha 1

Maybe now concentrate on traffic safety.

In the past 18 days with an estimate at 26.000 a year average 1200 people died in traffic.

44 people died in Phuket (Sea of Andaman) wile their boat capsized and sunk

In Japan 177 peole are killed due to heave rain and floods.

Oh In the Philippines there is a typhoon now. We will see how many casualties.

In Syria. Lebanon, Irak, Iraq, Afghanistan etc kids are killed due to bombing.