Overseas Credit Cards

jonwilly

Some months  ago I reported a problem when trying to pay with a UK issued Master Card.

Today same 'Dealer' and card refused. So I stamped my foot, 'Politely' and requested they find out why.

You ask too much.

This is absolute rubbish, I have far more credit then the B20,297 I was requesting.

Later on I was able to contact the fraud services on the UK issuing bank.

After some time they informed me that the problem was that the 'Dealer' was only able to accept a much lower figure, not really my problem apart from the fact that THEY have lock my card which MAY clear after 24 hrs.

john

I can relate to that problem. Last time I was here, Thai Airways wouldn't accept my card, even though my account is in good order with plenty of credit. This time, same credit card, same Thai Airways, no problem. But the charity I donate to here in Thailand just stopped taking the same credit card, and so I this last time I used PayPal. I've given up trying to figure these things out (I checked with the card issuer each time, and am told it's always at the Thai end where the problem is). Just make sure you have multiple means of paying when you're here. That's being prudent, anyway. 

Edited by dundas

You've already spoken to the MC fraud department but it's odd because this is one of the problems you can report to MasterCard customer care - a merchant displaying a MasterCard logo on his/her business, but sets an arbitrary minimum or maximum amount.    This is the US site link, would need to find a UK version.

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/report-problem-shopping.html

This problem is not uncommon when using a credit card issued from a foreign bank for a large purchase. I had the same problem last month when purchasing a new bicycle. The total amount for the purchase was rejected, even though it had worked at the same bike shop the previous day for the bike deposit. 

I checked my credit card via the bank phone app and it showed a near zero balance with ample credit available for the purchase. I then asked the bike shop owner to run a smaller amount (20,000 baht),  which was then accepted. He then ran it an additional two times for about the same amount and it worked.  Everybody happy! 555

When I checked with my bank in the USA, they said the entire purchase amount was acceptable to them but may have been rejected by the vendor bank, VISA etc.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 55Jay said:

You've already spoken to the MC fraud department but it's odd because this is one of the problems you can report to MasterCard customer care - a merchant displaying a MasterCard logo on his/her business, but sets an arbitrary minimum or maximum amount.    This is the US site link, would need to find a UK version.

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/report-problem-shopping.html

powerbuy  online displays visa master logo...does not take US cards.

I just reported it...we'll see...online rules might be different.

Edited by moontang

4 minutes ago, moontang said:

powerbuy  online displays visa master logo...does not take US cards.

Now that I think of it, I tried using my Visa credit card (US bank) on Lazada a year or more ago and it wouldn't work.  Tried a few times, nada.  Ended up using COD.

8 hours ago, jonwilly said:

After some time they informed me that the problem was that the 'Dealer' was only able to accept a much lower figure

Might this limit also apply to Thai - as well as foreign - cards, I wonder? And might it not be worth the dealer's while trying to get it increased, particularly if they frequently handle payments amounting to 20,000 THB+?

Edited by OJAS

I've had this problem with several merchants here and my U.S. credit card.  Truevisions is the prime one.  They say the card is "no good", even though I had just used it at Tops, Central, a hospital, etc and their use of the card locks it, to where I have to call the credit card people in the U.S. to unlock it.  All the credit card people can say is because the charge comes through as "Truemoney" and that name raises flags.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

I've had this problem with several merchants here and my U.S. credit card.  Truevisions is the prime one.  They say the card is "no good", even though I had just used it at Tops, Central, a hospital, etc and their use of the card locks it, to where I have to call the credit card people in the U.S. to unlock it.  All the credit card people can say is because the charge comes through as "Truemoney" and that name raises flags.  

I bought Truemoney at 711, and paid with US Visa card.  True is on my shitelist, though.

By all means report all those who refuse your card. And those that charge you 3% extra to use the card instead of paying cash.

That should keep you busy for a few years. And change nothing but it is better than bitching about immigration, traffic or prostitution.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

9 hours ago, Bill97 said:

By all means report all those who refuse your card. And those that charge you 3% extra to use the card instead of paying cash.

That should keep you busy for a few years. And change nothing but it is better than bitching about immigration, traffic or prostitution.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

I'm not "reporting" Truevisions when I have to call my U.S. credit card company to get my card unlocked after it's locked when I've attempted to use it to pay my True bill.

• Haha 1

Like you Nancy my card was locked but cleared it's self by following day. True again.

Very embarrassing when your told 'No Can honour your card' even if it's by a nice young girl.

I have taken to making a photo on my mobile to show my self I was not dreaming.

john

IMG_0455.jpg

Edited by jonwilly
Spelling

On 7/11/2018 at 8:59 PM, 55Jay said:

Now that I think of it, I tried using my Visa credit card (US bank) on Lazada a year or more ago and it wouldn't work.  Tried a few times, nada.  Ended up using COD.

FWIW, I just used a US Visa card at Lazada for about 5000 THB.  I did have to call them, and that can be pretty normal for mismatch billing and delivery address, especially in a foreign country.  And I noticed you have to click on international at the top of the billing address window to be able to enter a us billing address...easy to overlook.  Anyone have luck with powerbuy online, with foreign cc?