Has anyone sent AUD to thailand this week

35 minutes ago, Mr Smoothex said:

I normally do the transfer at noon on a Monday and the money is in my Kasikorn account mid Wednesday morning.

In the past I have done over 30 transfers with Transferwise and they were getting transfers to me in about 6 hours. Then they increased there fees so I switched to Instarem.

To transfer $1,000 with Transferwise is $10.44 and Instarem is only $5. Their exchange rates are nearly the same. they both use the mid market rate

My last transfer was even better than the cash rate in the TT exchange booths in Pattaya

OK, thanks. Slightly cheaper than my Citibank debit card and only VERY slightly cheaper when I'm in BKK & can use Citibank atm so no BKKBk fee to pay.

The advantage of Citibank is use of atm whether here in the boondocks or in BKK or anywhere else outside Thailand: ie time. Instant withdrawal & the flexibility that provides. Not much in it though, and the larger the amounts one transfers, the greater the small Instarem advantage becomes ... Will keep in mind for the future. Would have been handy 2 or 3 years ago when we were building our house here and bringing large sums across (sigh).

10 hours ago, bra said:

I sent a small amount in THB yesterday, rate was  23.3517. Westpac bank charge was AUD 10, BKK Bank fee was THB 250.

If you send in AUD, Westpac fee is AUD 20, not sure of the BKK bank rate and fee, which is why I always send in THB - at least I know the rate, and provided I transfer by 1400 AEST, its in the BKK Bank account by about 1600 Thai time. 

The AUD fell against the USD last night, and the rate for sending THB has reduced to 23.228 today.

Westpac have just reduced their fees if you send AU$, now it is only $5. I also received an email from them offering “preferential” exchange rates if I wanted to send baht, but only available working hours. They did not say just how preferential those rates would be, and as you would have to be a fool to send baht anyway I did not register to take them up on the offer. Perhaps they have heard about Transferwise and realised they cannot charge whatever they like anymore.....

As for the Aussie dollar, apparently there is a bit of a mini boom in the WA mining industry at the moment (my brother is in the business) and when Aussie commodities are in demand the Aussie dollar usually rises. But with tariffs, trade wars, and now more Brexit troubles anything could happen !

17 minutes ago, weegee said:

Big rise in the AUD coming...maybe November.

Maybe next year, I think, as interest rates begin to rise. Not much action before then, I'm afraid.

Australian banks would have to be the biggest criminals in the world concerning their fees

Also if America sneezes the AUD drops like a rock ( always has )

I send money every mth & would no doubt get it at current value 24.5 or so 

I go through ANZ who also adds $18 ( on top of amount sent ) & Thai banks hit up of 500 bht ( $20 AUD ) 

Takes a bit longer since in AUD but at least I'm not losing a BHT or more if sent in BHT

On 7/11/2018 at 3:24 PM, KhunBENQ said:

And on "top of thatthere will always be some fees.

Up to 500 Baht for the Thai (Bangkok) bank and hard to predict fees for home country/other banks involved.

So one would come out even lower.

The earlier post regarding TransferWise gives a better return I am using and fast and cheap 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2018 at 8:04 PM, weegee said:

Remember I said November :thumbsup:....

Do you mind sharing your thoughts on why the diggeridollar will be rising against the THB? Do you think the AU will be higher against the greenback or do you just think the THB will drop against the AU? I'd be interested to know.

On 7/14/2018 at 8:00 AM, Laza 45 said:

$AU looking a little bit better today.. 24.74 X-Rates.. https://www.x-rates.com/table/?from=AUD&amount=1

Yes, it seems to be holding up. It will be interesting to watch if it can break 25.

2 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Do you mind sharing your thoughts on why the diggeridollar will be rising against the THB? Do you think the AU will be higher against the greenback or do you just think the THB will drop against the AU? I'd be interested to know.

Yes, it seems to be holding up. It will be interesting to watch if it can break 25.

Would be nice.. uncertain times with Trump crashing around..

• 1 month later...