Crazy Rich Asians director Jon Chu working on second Thai cave rescue movie to stop whitewashing

snoop1130

Crazy Rich Asians director Jon Chu working on second Thai cave rescue movie to stop whitewashing

BY JUSTIN HARP AND RIANNE HOUGHTON

landscape-1531336654-thai1.jpg

LINH PHAM/GETTY IMAGES

Update: Crazy Rich Asians director Jon Chu is to start work on a second movie about the incredible rescue of 12 schoolboys and their football coach from a cave in Thailand.

According to The Wrap, Chu and the production team behind Crazy Rich Asians are developing the film in response to Pure Flix Entertainment seeking the film rights to the story.

Chu has addressed the news on Twitter, telling fans that he refuses to let Hollywood 'whitewash' the remarkable rescue operation, saying it's "too important".

"I refuse to let Hollywood #whitewashout the Thai Cave rescue story! No way. Not on our watch. That won't happen or we'll give them hell," Chu wrote on Twitter.

Full Story: http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a861419/thai-cave-rescue-hollywood-movie-crazy-rich-asians-jon-chu/

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

He's got a point.

Humor alert.

https://m.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/Thai-Cave-Rescue-Has-Everyone-Making-the-Same-13067986.php

“I hope scarlett johansson plays all 12 thai boys and their coach in the film adaptation,” read another, familiar-sounding post.

There were, thankfully, some variations on the theme. Such as, “I can’t wait to see the Oscar winning movie about the Thai Soccer team stuck in the cave that will inevitably be about an all white lacrosse team that gets stuck in a cave in Cabo staring Scarlett Johansson, Emma Stone, Tilda Swinton and a Thai person with a one line walk on role.”

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 2

As I see it the problem is the interesting story is not about the boys/coach who sat in the cave for 12 days

before being found, but the massive rescue operation. The Hollywood story would focus on foreign

cave diving experts, the Asian version on the Thai Navy Seals. The boys/coach sat in the dark, starved,

and were drugged when brought out. Now Hollywood has never let the truth stand in the way of a

"based" on real-life events Hollywood production so we shall see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1