Easy Pass

After years of fumbling around for change I thought it could be a good idea to get one of those Easy Pass things.

Does anyone have any experience applying for them and can give an outline of what the process is? The English section of the Easy Pass website only has the menu in English, the instructions are in Thai.

Walk into the office building next to the toll gates and either look for the signs for the easypass window or ask. Some buildings you will find the office/window inside the building. When I got mine years ago they wanted of copy of my drivers license, passport and visa. Not sure what they need nowdays.

For foreigners, you are required to show your passport, current Visa, work permit (if relevant) and proof of address, along with your car registration book and driver license.

For Thai, they are required to show their ID Card and car registration book.

I just applied for a second pass for our new car and had my wife register the EasyPass in her name to simplify the process.

The process took less than 10 minutes and cost 1,000 baht (which is placed as  credit on the EasyPass), so really costs nothing but time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2018 at 9:35 AM, vinegarbase said:

Just go to any Krungsri Bank and ask what they need to get one. I just showed my passport and car book with license plate # and that was it. 

So they have the cards and electronic devices there? In any Krungsri in the Bangkok area? 

On 7/13/2018 at 5:52 PM, sjoegge said:

www.thailandguru.com/easy-pass-bangkok-expressway.html

Unfortunately the link won't open for me. 

One question - how do you know when your balance is getting low?

Yes, just go to the Krungsri bank as far as I know any branch and they will give you a box with the device right after you apply. 

For the balance it will send you a text message to your phone when you get low. They will also send you a message if it gets below 100 baht because you won't be able to use it below 100 baht. 

On 7/14/2018 at 5:13 AM, sstuff3 said:

For foreigners, you are required to show your passport, current Visa, work permit (if relevant) and proof of address, along with your car registration book and driver license.

For Thai, they are required to show their ID Card and car registration book.

I just applied for a second pass for our new car and had my wife register the EasyPass in her name to simplify the process.

The process took less than 10 minutes and cost 1,000 baht (which is placed as  credit on the EasyPass), so really costs nothing but time. 

Is the card unique to one vehicle or can be used in multiple cars?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Is the card unique to one vehicle or can be used in multiple cars?

Thanks.

You could use the transmitter in any car in theory.

On 7/14/2018 at 12:13 PM, sstuff3 said:

When I got my easypass at the office located next to the toll off Rama 4, Don Muang Bound, I gave them a copy of my passport, DL & car registration book only, no proof of address was required.

On 7/14/2018 at 2:35 PM, vinegarbase said:

Just go to any Krungsri Bank and ask what they need to get one. I just showed my passport and car book with license plate # and that was it. 

This is for a M Pass and it is not at Krungsri, it is Krueng Thai bank and not all of them do the M Pass, personally I would not do it that way, as an easypass is easier to get and top up.

On 7/14/2018 at 1:57 PM, sstuff3 said:

Can be topped up using online banking also.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, very easy and free.

As a footnote, the easypass works very well on the Bangkok expressways in general, on the Motorway however, it can be a real PITA, I use mine a lot, as travel the motorway back and to from Bangkok frequently and I'd say that close to 90 percent of the time there is going to be somebody who has gone in to the M pass lane(s) who either doesn't have either pass, or has no credit left, resulting in queues, and then a long line of folks having to reverse to allow the offender out, depending on which toll, it can end up taking longer than having to get the ticket and pay for it.

Never ceases to amaze me as to why, it is pretty easy to spot the blue chevrons on the road and big M Pass sign above the toll!!

As a footnote, the easypass works very well on the Bangkok expressways in general, on the Motorway however, it can be a real PITA, I use mine a lot, as travel the motorway back and to from Bangkok frequently and I'd say that close to 90 percent of the time there is going to be somebody who has gone in to the M pass lane(s) who either doesn't have either pass, or has no credit left, resulting in queues, and then a long line of folks having to reverse to allow the offender out, depending on which toll, it can end up taking longer than having to get the ticket and pay for it.
Never ceases to amaze me as to why, it is pretty easy to spot the blue chevrons on the road and big M Pass sign above the toll!!
It could also be caused by the pass not working properly at the toll gate. The pass on my truck fails to activate at about 10% of the gates around Bangkok, causing the staff to have to attend and manually enter the information, which causes traffic to back up. I was told it was because the internal battery is getting low, so I changed it to a new one which has the same result at the same gates. My guess is that the sensors at some gates are not properly aimed but they will never investigate that possibility because it can't be their fault.

I'm impressed with the first-hand info posted on this site.

I took the easy route - said to the long haired dictionary that I want one of those M-Pass thingies, next day one appeared stuck to inside of the windscreen.  I top it up by saying "you need to top up the M-Pass", and she fiddles with her phone for 3 minutes and it gets topped up.

When we bought a new car - she dropped into the office after the toll booth, but was told not to worry about it.

And yes, as mentioned above, when heading to the M-Pass lane, look for the car trying to back up (why is it always a white Camry?), and choose the next lane.

18 minutes ago, sstuff3 said:

It could also be caused by the pass not working properly at the toll gate. The pass on my truck fails to activate at about 10% of the gates around Bangkok, causing the staff to have to attend and manually enter the information, which causes traffic to back up. I was told it was because the internal battery is getting low, so I changed it to a new one which has the same result at the same gates. My guess is that the sensors at some gates are not properly aimed but they will never investigate that possibility because it can't be their fault.

I agree that this may be the case in some small instances, but surely not every one, of course, it could be that I'm just plain unlucky though.

Some people do not locate the pass correctly resulting in issues with the gate detecting it, I've been through hundreds of times and it has only happened once to me at Lat Krabang toll on the motorway, it may well start to be more frequent as the battery starts to wear down, time will tell.

I agree that this may be the case in some small instances, but surely not every one, of course, it could be that I'm just plain unlucky though.
Some people do not locate the pass correctly resulting in issues with the gate detecting it, I've been through hundreds of times and it has only happened once to me at Lat Krabang toll on the motorway, it may well start to be more frequent as the battery starts to wear down, time will tell.
In my case, I'm quite certain the location of the pass isn't the issue. Even when the new one fails, they place it on the top of the windshield wipers and ask me to try again. The result is the same, their sensors don't detect it. I doubt I'm the only one who encounters this problem. Luckily it is only about 10% of the gates.

13 minutes ago, sstuff3 said:

In my case, I'm quite certain the location of the pass isn't the issue. Even when the new one fails, they place it on the top of the windshield wipers and ask me to try again. The result is the same, their sensors don't detect it. I doubt I'm the only one who encounters this problem. Luckily it is only about 10% of the gates.

Fair enough, not an issue that I've encountered thankfully, though I do tend to use the same gate at each location, so probably why I don't get this.

25 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Yes correct, when we first got ours it was placed by the rear view mirror, it failed to operate on a number of occasions, staff told my wife to place on the upper r/h side of the windscreen and now works perfectly.

On 7/30/2018 at 1:01 PM, topt said:

One question - how do you know when your balance is getting low?

Besides the obvious one of seeing whats left when you go thro the gate, maybe you might forget or have too low a balance to go thro the gate (very annoying for cars behind), so you can also check online at http://www.thaieasypass.com/en/member/login

33 minutes ago, sjoegge said:

You can move from one car to another, it is not unique to one vehicle

If you go online you can see your car lic plate number assigned to the card details, but I don't see why you cannot swap the card to other vehicles like you say?

Archived