Will Vista Upgrade Work With A Dodgy Copy Of Xp?

Jockstar

Here's something I read elsewhere:

If anyone is planning to buy Vista heres how you can save some money

M*cros*ft's new licensing requirements for Vista, requires users to install a Windows Vista Upgrade from within Windows XP and to make matters worse, the Windows XP license is forfeited. The following process may be tedious, but when you compare the price difference between the upgrade and retail versions it may be worthwhile.

The Method :

1. Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.

2. When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click "Next" and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.

3. When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased and continue with setup.

4. Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista. This time, type in your product key when prompted.

5. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install, choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista, this means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.

6. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to activate Windows Vista normally.

7. Delete the Windows.old directory which contains information from the first Vista install.

Effectively you have to install vista to install vista

I had a look at Paul Thurrot's site and it seems that this is indeed possible, but he warns that Microsoft could close the loophole at any time, which could leave you with a useless upgrade disk. If you can spare the extra few bucks, I'd go for the full version which will mean for the next five years or so you have a copy you don't have to worry anything about.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvi...grade_clean.asp

If you didn't want to take the chance on Microsoft closing the hole with being able to install Vista upgrade over itself you could always look for a cheap version of Windows ME or 2000 or even 98 (on Ebay for example) and install over that.

Not sure how this would work as an Upgrade can only install over top of Windows 2000 or XP whcih means if you have a version of 98 or ME it would have to be a clean install (ie. reformat which is probably best anyway) and hence you might just need to have your 98 or other OS serial number available.

Would appreciate any comments on the above - if anyone has actually installed Vista and been asked for proof of legal OS, other than XP or 2000.

If you didn't want to take the chance on Microsoft closing the hole with being able to install Vista upgrade over itself you could always look for a cheap version of Windows ME or 2000 or even 98 (on Ebay for example) and install over that.

It will only install over 2000 or XP. If you look in a used computer shop you should be able to find a legit copy of 2000 with a Certificate of Authenticity for about $50.

Saw OEM {Real SE Asia only versions} versions were on sale at Pantip yesterday. They were only a few hundred baht less than the {upgrade?} versions in the curved boxes at IT House(?) and on ground floor.

Regards

That's a big rip-off. Even here in rip-off Britain you can buy an OEM version for approx half the price of an equivalent upgrade version.