Maintenance Of The New Vigo.

North

Now that I have the first brand new car (pickup) in my life, I would like to ask for some advice how to maintain the car to keep it in the best condition.

At the moment I don´t have a place for washing the car myself, so of course I regurlarly will go to some shop here in town to do the job, but how about the paintwork of the new car, how often would you apply wax, - and, do you at all apply wax to a new car, or do you wait for some months ?

How about cleaning the car underneath, I have seen at one shop they will lift up the car and hose down the bottom, is that a good idea, - and are there anything underneath, that can possibly be damaged by the water ?

And how about the engine compartment, of course a lot of dust will accumulate over time ( at least this time of year in dusty Issan !) is it adviceable to clean the engine compartment sometimes, - and if yes, how is it best done ?

I hope, some of you will share your experiences on these matters with me.

If you have other good advice about maintenance of the new car, please feel free to post here !

North

Hi North

Glad to hear you got your new Vigo now. Hope your happy with the purchase.I'll have to wait til the end of the year for mine!

I would suspect that the handbook should cover most of your concerns but I would not bother too much about the engine compartment. I damp rag does wonders. be choosy with where you get car cleaned-get recommendations.New paintwork needs no regular waxing each time the car is washed THEY will want to do it again. In the Uk we have a number of products that permanently seal the paint and 'if' panelwork needs doing later it must be re-applied to new metalwork. it works good :o and I think its called Armourshield. My brothers XK8 has it and rainwater pours off bodywork and windows

Chok Dee and let us know what you think of the Vigo. :D

Dave :D

Edited by Dave the Dude

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Yes, I guess, the handbook can tell me something about maintenance of the car, but I did not receive it yet in english, I hope to get it soon though.

About washing the car: Yes, I tried to get recommendations, and yesterday I went to a Caltex petrol station recemmended to me to get the car washed. One specific reason for washing the car yesterday was, that I found many dark spots on the paintwork. I think it is tree sap. I tried to wash using some auto shampoo but the spots did not come off.

So I went to wash the car !

At first one man used a bucket of water and shampoo washing the wheels and the edges of the mudguards, so far so good. Then he went to do something else, and another man started to wash the bonnet, rubbing quite hard, and using the same (now dirty ) water left from washing the wheels !

Then I had enough, I stopped the guy and drove off, I will never use them again !

But the spots from the (presumable) tree sap are still there, what can you recommend for removing that ???

And if you have suggestions about other good products for cleaning the paintwork I would like to hear.

North

Johnson make a product that is widely available in Thailand called "Kit", its in a yellow plastic bottle, with black lid and red label, they sell it as a car wax, but it is the same as T-Cut, and works very well. For a full valet I pay 110 baht, they start by spraying the car with an agent to loosen the muck, then they jet wash the car (engine bay and underneath also), they then spray the car again with shampoo, and by hand with sponges they thoroughly go over everything, again the car gets jet washed getting rid of the shampoo, out come the chamieze (spelling) and the car get dryed, interior is then hoovered, dusted etc etc, last but not least the air intake filter is removed, blown out with a low power airline and replaced. I can get the full valet plus waxing for 200 baht (but never bother with the wax).

What Vigo have you brought? I have a black 3ltr 4X4G 2 door, was a little bit interested in the white Exclusive model, but mine is only 6 months old so don't see the piont in changing it, plus I need to buy the wife a car soon as we are starting a family

Sol

Hi Dave,

Yes, I guess, the handbook can tell me something about maintenance of the car, but I did not receive it yet in english, I hope to get it soon though.

About washing the car: Yes, I tried to get recommendations, and yesterday I went to a Caltex petrol station recemmended to me to get the car washed. One specific reason for washing the car yesterday was, that I found many dark spots on the paintwork. I think it is tree sap. I tried to wash using some auto shampoo but the spots did not come off.

So I went to wash the car !

At first one man used a bucket of water and shampoo washing the wheels and the edges of the mudguards, so far so good. Then he went to do something else, and another man started to wash the bonnet, rubbing quite hard, and using the same (now dirty ) water left from washing the wheels !

Then I had enough, I stopped the guy and drove off, I will never use them again !

But the spots from the (presumable) tree sap are still there, what can you recommend for removing that ???

And if you have suggestions about other good products for cleaning the paintwork I would like to hear.

North

Hi North

I certainly would NOT :D use any cutting compound like T Cut on a brand new car. Worth checking out stuff that solent01 mentioned, but I would go back to the Toyota dealer and somehow try to have a work with a bodyshop workers, they will know whats best. Sorry am I am 2 months away from moving out to Surin, at this stage I'm not sure of products availabilty in LOS. In Surin we have a very professional firm located in Big C carpark,who do a great job but you were right to walk away from them bozo's

Suprised you have not joined in the thread 'What do you guys do up north?' :o:D

Regards

Dave :D:D

I would recommend first that you try something that is formulated specifically for your problem. If the black spots are indeed the result of road tar then I would recommend that you try Turtle Wax's "Bug & Tar Remover" or "Tar & Bug Remover", one or the other. I have found in the past that it works really well for those tough to remove stains from not only bugs and road tar, but also from tree sap and pretty much any other hard to remove stains. I too, have just recently purchased the white Vigo Exclusive, but being only about 2 weeks old with just over 200km on the odometer, it has yet to acquire any stains similar to what you have mentioned. However, I also have a 5 year old black CRV for which I have used the Bug & Tar remover on with good results.

I too, am interested in ideas as to how to protect the paint on my Vigo. I questioned the personnel at the Toyota dealership from where I had purchased my Vigo concerning paint sealant applied at the factory or at the dealership. All I was able to get was blank stares. I had read on the forum that someone had purchased a Vigo or Fortuner Exclusive and as part of his purchase package, received a paint sealant application with free annual renewals for the following 3 years.

Does anyone know if any paint protection or sealant is applied to the Toyota vehicles at the factory prior to delivery to the dealers or whether applied at the dealerships as part of it's preparation prior to being offered for sale?

Pattaya Dave

Sorry Dave, I have no idea......

Also, be careful with bird droppings, as if its left on your paint work it does damage, not sure where on the Ph scale it is, but it can leave stains/blemishes, that like a small scratch can only be removed with compounds like T-cut/Kit etc etc

When ever I use Kit to remove small scratches (had my young pup in the back of the pickup the other day, he can now stand up and lean over the edge with his paws, which he did and left many small scratches), I then go over the area with another Johnson product also called Kit, which comes in a metal pot with silver/grey plastic lid, this is a metallic car wax, and as said is just that, wax with UV Guard (not like the other yellow bottled "wax" that is in fact a cutting compound), anyway the end result is my car is left in show room condition at all times.

A word about cutting compounds like T-cut/Kit.

These are excellent products when used on dull fading paintwork to bring back that new glossy look, or to remove blemishes/scratches that can't be otherwise removed, but always reseal the area that has been worked on with a wax or what ever. These compounds are very very slight and will not harm a brand new paint job in anyway, I come from an aviation background, we used T-cut often on aircraft surfaces to maitain the silk like finish and minimise skin friction/drag.

Sol

What Vigo have you brought? I have a black 3ltr 4X4G 2 door, was a little bit interested in the white Exclusive model, but mine is only 6 months old so don't see the piont in changing it, plus I need to buy the wife a car soon as we are starting a family

Sol

I bought the white Exclusive model, and I have not been disappointed so far about the inside temperature, it is more cool than a car with a dark colour.

But I think, that bugs, three sap and other dirt is easier to see on this colour than on a dark colour, but ok, I want to remove things like that as soon as possible, so the sooner I see it the sooner I can get it removed.

North

I promised to tell you, what I found out about removing the spots on the paintwork.

Yesterday afternoon I went to some shops to have a look at the products available. At Tesco Lotus I found various products to remove spots, the salesman specially recommended one product ( and it wasn´t even the most expensive one! )

He had one bottle open for demonstration, and gave me a little on a cloth, and I went outside to try it. And it worked very well, the spots were removed without too much rubbing, the mixture seemed to dissolve the spots, and after removing them just wipe dry with a soft clean cloth.

I bought a can of the mixture produced by TurtleWax in U.S.A. See picture 1 & 2.

I also bought some shampoo, Simoniz from a UK company, see picture 3 & 4.

I have two pictures of the spots (not the same spots unfortunately, but the mixture worked on them all in the same way) one picture before I did anything at all(not wash or anything else) and the second picture after I washed the car with the Simoniz shampoo, but before I used the TurtleWax mixture.

I did not take a picture after using the TurtleWax product, since the spots disappeared completely, meaning the paintwork was completely clean, and there was nothing on the surface for the digital camera to use as a focusing point.

You can see, that after washing with the shampoo, the little dark spots in the bigger dark areas disappeared, so the shampoo helped to some extent, but the TurtleWax did the job!

One more reason for me to choose TurtleWax is, that I remember that name for many years, I have been using some of their products before, I think they know what they are doing.

I have noticed, that the paintwork after the wash and treatment with the TurtleWax product is very water repellent, I don´t know if the product contains wax, if not it seems it does not remove the wax from the shampoo. All in all I have a very smooth surface on the paintwork now.

I hope, that some of you can make use of my little research in this field.

North :o

post-19154-1171464237_thumb.jpg

post-19154-1171464252_thumb.jpg

post-19154-1171464265_thumb.jpg

post-19154-1171464277_thumb.jpg

post-19154-1171464295_thumb.jpg

post-19154-1171464307_thumb.jpg

Edited by North

North,

I don't know whether you had read my earlier reply or not, but as I had said, Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover is pretty good stuff. I have used it for years back in the US for bugs, road tar and tree sap and it's the best thing I have ever used. As far as I am concerned, it sure beats using a cutting compound that is not necessary. the Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover disolves/removes the stain with little or no effort and is not harmful to the finish.

By the way North, when you bought your truck, did the dealer tell you whether your truck's paint finish was protected from a paint sealant applied by the factory or by the dealer. I only drew blank stares when I asked this question to the dealership in Pattaya. I'm glad that the Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover took care of the problem for you. I do have to agree that it is going to take a little more effort to keep the white paint of the Exclusive model looking good versus that of say, a silver painted model, however I am quite satisfied with my truck. The factory leather seats alone are worth the extra cost of the Exclusive model.

Pattaya Dave

Pattaya Dave

North,

I don't know whether you had read my earlier reply or not, but as I had said, Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover is pretty good stuff. I have used it for years back in the US for bugs, road tar and tree sap and it's the best thing I have ever used. As far as I am concerned, it sure beats using a cutting compound that is not necessary. the Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover disolves/removes the stain with little or no effort and is not harmful to the finish.

By the way North, when you bought your truck, did the dealer tell you whether your truck's paint finish was protected from a paint sealant applied by the factory or by the dealer. I only drew blank stares when I asked this question to the dealership in Pattaya. I'm glad that the Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover took care of the problem for you. I do have to agree that it is going to take a little more effort to keep the white paint of the Exclusive model looking good versus that of say, a silver painted model, however I am quite satisfied with my truck. The factory leather seats alone are worth the extra cost of the Exclusive model.

Pattaya Dave

Pattaya Dave

Dave,

Actually I did not read all the posts in detail yesterday, since I at that time already did buy the TurtleWax product.

But I am glad, that we have the same good experience with this product, I surely will be using it in the future when needed, but I will also try to be more selective with places for parking.

I had no info from the dealer about the car´s paint finish, and I am quite sure, that he did not do anything extra about that.

And Dave, 200 km. in your new Vigo in 2 weeks, don´t you like it ? ( just kidding of course :D )

Mine is 4 weeks and the odometer shows around 3000 km already, but ok, the first weekend it was around 700 km. just to bring it home ( Bangkok-Pattaya- Khon Kaen ) and I had two more long distance trips already ( last weekend Khon Kaen - Pattaya - Khon Kaen around 1000 km.)

The leather seats are very nice, but I found, that my back needs some extra support in the lumbar region, I think the general shape of the seats in the Vigo is not too good, but hey, if Toyota wants to improve on that they can pay me for being a test driver in the future. :o

North