Huge iceberg drifts close to Greenland village, causing fears of a tsunami

rooster59

Huge iceberg drifts close to Greenland village, causing fears of a tsunami

800x800 (8).jpg

A giant iceberg is seen behind an Innaarsuit settlement, Greenland July 12, 2018. Picture taken July 12, 2018. Ritzau Scanpix/Karl Petersen/ via REUTERS

(Reuters) - An iceberg the size of a hill has drifted close to a tiny village on the western coast of Greenland, causing fear that it could swamp the settlement with a tsunami if it calves.

The iceberg towers over houses on a promontory in the village of Innaarsuit but it is grounded and has not moved overnight, state broadcaster KNR reported.

A danger zone close to the coast has been evacuated and people have been moved further up a steep slope where the settlement lies, a Greenland police spokesman told Reuters.

"We can feel the concern among the residents. We are used to big icebergs, but we haven't seen such a big one before," Susanna Eliassen, a member of the village council in Innaarsuit, told KNR.

The government and police are on high alert and have moved a search-and-rescue (SAR) helicopter closer to the remote village with about 170 inhabitants.

Last summer, four people died after waves swamped a settlement in northwestern Greenland.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-15

26 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

causing fear that it could swamp the settlement with a tsunami if it calves

I wouldn´t call that a tsunami. I would call it a big wave, though. As for the creation of a tsunami, this iceberg is already to close to the shore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

I wouldn´t call that a tsunami. I would call it a big wave, though. As for the creation of a tsunami, this iceberg is already to close to the shore.

Then I would love to see you standing there and watching it when it happens, but I know that's impossible, but also you use words. I assume You know when a ships sails on the river what happens with the water along the shore?  It's not a tsunami, but the effects are the same.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, RotMahKid said:

Then I would love to see you standing there and watching it when it happens, but I know that's impossible, but also you use words. I assume You know when a ships sails on the river what happens with the water along the shore?  It's not a tsunami, but the effects are the same.

Choose to disregard the "standing there when it happens", because it was just a silly childish attempt to derail the discussion. Good try, though!

I choosed to not call it a tsunami. You used a ship making waves when it passes by as a comaprision, and also said that you know that was not a tsunami.

Were did I say that the effects might not be the same? Still you make a silly quote, even as you already have agreed to that the effects can be the same but it will still not be a tsunami.

So, what did I say that differs to that? FYI, it must be a real big ship for create the same effects as from a tsunami. Usually normal people call that ripples, and I would not in my wildest dreams compare that to an effect of a tsunami.

The wave caused by a ship passing perfectly defines the fundamental difference between "normal" waves and tsunamis:

Tsunami - Wikipedia

"Unlike normal ocean waves, which are generated by wind, or tides, which are generated by the gravitational pull of the Moon and the Sun, a tsunami is generated by the displacement of water."

It may be a lot smaller than the one caused by an iceberg calving from a glacier or (as is feared in this case) an iceberg sub/re-calving, but it is still a tsunami........a wave generated by displacement.

They behave differently to normal waves.

Edited by Enoon

I took some Geology in High School.

Japan has suffered mass destruction many times. Tsunami is a seismic wave. They used to be called “tidal waves” decades ago in America. “tsu” means earthquake in Japanese see and “nami” means wave, thus tsunami.

Although the waves have nothing to do with tides.

Land slides on Fjords or Mountainlakes can cause destructive waves. Earth tremors can cause waves in lakes or pools also (siech waves).

Similarly a large iceberg crumbling in a harbor could swamp the village drowning all in a momentous wave suddenly without warning, calling it a tsunami is descriptive but not accurate terminology.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

I took some Geology in High School.

Japan has suffered mass destruction many times. Tsunami is a seismic wave. They used to be called “tidal waves” decades ago in America. “tsu” means earthquake in Japanese see and “nami” means wave, thus tsunami.

Although the waves have nothing to do with tides.

Land slides on Fjords or Mountainlakes can cause destructive waves. Earth tremors can cause waves in lakes or pools also (siech waves).

Similarly a large iceberg crumbling in a harbor could swamp the village drowning all in a momentous wave suddenly without warning, calling it a tsunami is descriptive but not accurate terminology.

It is an accurate term if it causes a sudden significant displacement of water. 

58 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I thought it meant ' harbour wave '

The word is from the Japanese with that meaning, yes. Tsunamis are not tidal but are caused by a displacement of water. Inlets and harbours (like some in Japan) have felt the full force of direct "hits" when the direction of the wave is perpendicular to the open entrances. As the water shallows and the coastline encloses these waves, their height and power build to very destructive levels.

25 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

The liberal media is already blaming the arrival of the iceberg on so-called "man made global warming".

Nope.

twitchy.JPG.6163f2ce7cfb26e96bba542e287ed14d.JPG

Unless you're going to tell me that Michelle Malkin's "Twitchy" site is the liberal media.

Edited by attrayant

Tidal wave/Tsunami.

Jungle/Rainforest.

Tidal wave   a wave that's very big and arrives on the shore and just keeps going inland like a very high tide coming in.

Tsunami     a Japanese name for 'see explanation for Tidal Wave'

Jungle   a place where it rains a lot and is warm making the vegetation and trees grow very fast and has a vast diversity of animal life.

Rain Forest   a new name for 

'see explanation of Jungle'

Edited by overherebc

2 hours ago, attrayant said:

Nope.

twitchy.JPG.6163f2ce7cfb26e96bba542e287ed14d.JPG

Unless you're going to tell me that Michelle Malkin's "Twitchy" site is the liberal media.

There is more to "media" than a Google search.  NPR won't stop babbling about it.

"Man made Global Warming" is a fad or hoax pushed by globalists and others to push political agendas, no basis in fact. Actually the world is in a marked Cooling phase which should continue for some time.

The destructive WAVE if it comes to that from a calving iceberg is not a tidal wave, or a tsunami or what ever else it is just a WAVE, unless there is an earthquake in Greenland that rocks the iceberg so much it starts crumbling, then I guess it could be partially caused by seismatism/activity.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterferrara/2012/05/31/sorry-global-warming-alarmists-the-earth-is-cooling/#16cf83a53de0

Edited by ChiangMaiLightning2143

3 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

It is inaccurate if it is not caused by Seismic activity (earthequake/tremor).

The liberal media is already blaming the arrival of the iceberg on so-called "man made global warming".  Utter pish.

What is inaccurate?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

There is more to "media" than a Google search.  NPR won't stop babbling about it.

"Man made Global Warming" is a fad or hoax pushed by globalists and others to push political agendas, no basis in fact. Actually the world is in a marked Cooling phase which should continue for some time.

The destructive WAVE if it comes to that from a calving iceberg is not a tidal wave, or a tsunami or what ever else it is just a WAVE, unless there is an earthquake in Greenland that rocks the iceberg so much it starts crumbling, then I guess it could be partially caused by seismatism/activity.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterferrara/2012/05/31/sorry-global-warming-alarmists-the-earth-is-cooling/#16cf83a53de0

I love this article praising the Heartland Institute. The same institute which partially financed the workd of Richard Mueller, a physicist. He was sceptical about the temperature readings which supported the case for global warming. Anyway, Heartland and others gave him the funding to assemble a dream team of scientists to reexamine all the data that came from weather stations around the globe. And the conclusion that the Berkeley project came to: that climatoligists had gotten it exactly right and that the earth was warming. Naturally the Heartland Institute people and others honorably accepted his results and agreed that global warming was real. Nah, just kidding. 

"Just a few weeks ago Anthony Watts, who runs a prominent climate denialist Web site, praised the Berkeley project and piously declared himself “prepared to accept whatever result they produce, even if it proves my premise wrong.” But never mind: once he knew that Professor Muller was going to present those preliminary results, Mr. Watts dismissed the hearing as “post normal science political theater.” And one of the regular contributors on his site dismissed Professor Muller as “a man driven by a very serious agenda.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/04/opinion/04krugman.html

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

It is inaccurate to call  such a wave a Tsunami as it would not be related to seismic activity but simply because of Calving ice.

A tsunami is not necessarily created by seismic activity.

32 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

The specific claim was this:

"The liberal media is already blaming the arrival of the iceberg on so-called man made global warming". 

That's the claim I reject, which means the person who posted it was simply lying.  Case in point as to why science deniers can't be trusted to give you the correct time of day.

And I didn't do just a Google search, I did a Google NEWS search, which pics up all manner of idiotic nutty e-periodicals.  But since you say NPR won't stop babbling about this iceberg, I'll do a search specific to that domain:

2061104995_nprsearch.JPG.34f49daa47b6b2dbd6d614c61565e2aa.JPG

Well isn't that inconvenient.

3 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

If one includes Volcanism, above ground nuclear testing? (always accompanied by seismic activity), I guess you're right then. To just say a tsunami is "caused by displacement of water" than any wave is a Tsunami, even if a FAT woman jumps in a swimming pool!

I said a sudden and significant displacement of water. Yes, submarine fault slip is the most common cause of large tsunamis AND associated seismic events.

Another, more infrequent (but significant) cause is submarine landsliding. Look up Storrega. The continental shelf off Norway collapsed about 8000 years ago - the resulting tsunami swamped NE Scotland with 80 knot waves up to 25m.

5 minutes ago, attrayant said:

The specific claim was this:

"The liberal media is already blaming the arrival of the iceberg on so-called man made global warming". 

That's the claim I reject, which means the person who posted it was simply lying.  Case in point as to why science deniers can't be trusted to give you the correct time of day.

And I didn't do just a Google search, I did a Google NEWS search, which pics up all manner of idiotic nutty e-periodicals.  But since you say NPR won't stop babbling about this iceberg, I'll do a search specific to that domain:

2061104995_nprsearch.JPG.34f49daa47b6b2dbd6d614c61565e2aa.JPG

Well isn't that inconvenient.

You don't listen to podcasts (of radio programs) do you?

Edited by ChiangMaiLightning2143