Very disappointing visit to Pattaya.

thaibeachlovers

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Indeed, I do refer to the increasing waist line of the young ladies that attempt to make a living by their physical attributes. While I am hardly the Adonis of my youth, I'm not attempting to get women to part with substantial amounts of lucre to get sweaty with me, and if I was, I'd be making sure that I was what makes them trembly at the knees.

Either men these days are so desperate for a spot of horizontal folk dancing that they ignore the chubbiness, or they are into "plus size" women. 

A matter of preference, I guess. If sombody likes "plus-sized" women, he will be well served in Europe or the US. I have lived in Europe as well as in the US, escaping the heavy boned and "plus-sized" women in those countries, seeking solace in the company of Thai-Petites, "daintily" Thai females very frequently over the last 22 years. = It is a matter of preferrence, sorry.
In case the price of beer and the body weight of the "Thai-Petites" is inflationary and interconnected, I may have to look for a future holiday destination where a certain Ronald McDonald has not yet established himself as a firm life companion among the remaining "Thai-Petites".?
Cheers.

I agree with the poster saying many sois are losing their appeal.  Soi 7 and Soi 8 used to be prime.  Then the newer eastiny moved in and stuck out into the road.  Many bars closed.  Flippers "renovated" but I miss the nice simple rooms I had in 2004,5,6, chairs with seat cushions, didn't have to "pay" indirectly for same old breakfast buffet that they label is as free, but I don't eat that crap breakfast, and certainly don't eat the same thing every day.  Soi Diana behind KISS now has big hotels there.  Used to love that street.  Intown Holiday was a decent buy in a great location.  My last trip, dead bird on the balcony, showed the staff and he just laughed and left, doing nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. It's a very well known short way of saying Drop Dead Gorgeous.

Superbaby used to have 100% DDG dancers, but it closed long ago, and has reopened under a different name now, but I didn't go in to see if they are still DDG. I wanted to keep at least one happy memory.

Yep, keep it in your memory. I'll never forget Ko Samed almost 20 years ago. No electricity at night, but candlelight dinner at the beach for an affordable price.

I think that all of these places have changed and so have we. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, starky said:

DDG girls can write their own ticket and they know it. Why would they want to work in a shitty beer bar where cheap falangs want to barter every last baht out of them when they can work on line for themselves pick their customers get much better money  and never have to step in a bar ever again. 

I agree with you and if I was a DDG I would not work at a bar with all the hassles of customers and employer. But I still miss the DDG at the bar and a few favorites that took care of me well and I took care of them also. But that is life and change and getting older. Maybe before I die we will have virtual reality DDGs. ?

• Haha 1

I think OP is from Chiang Mai .  Chiang Mai got nothing to offer if you want to eat a decent western meal .    Their supermarkets are nothing special , difficult to find imported food that is easy to get in the south .   I lived in CM for a year and was not impressed, night life is a joke. 

Only good thing about CM was the nature , the mountains and all that .  But then pollution from the smoke hits you during the burning months February - April . Just terrible. 

In Pattaya we have the sea breeze , even if the beaches are not the best in the world , they are still beaches.  

The night life is better than in any city in Thailand , maybe with the exception of Bangkok in some parts. 

And then the main reason I choose to live here, restaurants, restaurants , restaurants , food , food, food .  Coffee that tastes like coffee. 

Thanks. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Chivit Thamma Da

When I google it it's in Chiang Rai , not Chiang Mai so whats your point ?  

Try to look for good French, Italian, and Scandinavian restaurants in Chiang Mai, there are one or two overpriced places.  

Just now, balo said:

Try to look for good French, Italian, and Scandinavian restaurants in Chiang Mai, there are one or two overpriced places.  

My apologies..................failing eyesight, I read "Rai" in error.

10 minutes ago, balo said:

I think OP is from Chiang Mai .  Chiang Mai got nothing to offer if you want to eat a decent western meal .    Their supermarkets are nothing special , difficult to find imported food that is easy to get in the south .   I lived in CM for a year and was not impressed, night life is a joke. 

Only good thing about CM was the nature , the mountains and all that .  But then pollution from the smoke hits you during the burning months February - April . Just terrible. 

In Pattaya we have the sea breeze , even if the beaches are not the best in the world , they are still beaches.  

The night life is better than in any city in Thailand , maybe with the exception of Bangkok

And then the main reason I choose to live here, restaurants, restaurants , restaurants , food , food, food .  Coffee that tastes like coffee. 

Thanks. 

Some good comments but I am surprised by the coffee.

CM has several coffee plantations in the mountains and many small shops selling local coffees. I think it is maybe the best in the country.

With this, the coffee here has made a nice transition over the past 5 years mostly fresh brew.

TBL :The problem seems to be  that you cannot find a prostitute to satisfy your arousal .

You cannot find one who is attractive enough .

How much of an issue is this ?

Can you still get an erection or is there no reaction at all in that department ?

If you can still get an erection and ejaculate with these not too sexy girls , then I suggest that that is what you do, but offer them a cheaper rate .

You also stated that you didnt visit all the bars , how do you know that there wasnt a dreamgirl in one of those bars ?

Was that just laziness on your part ?

You need to go out at 5 PM and walk around all the bars until you find a pretty , dont have a drink in all the bars , just slowly walk by and take a look inside and see if theres anything that you fancy , some of the girls may arrive for work late , so just keep wondering around the bars .

Or you could go into the bars and ask the ugly girls whether they have any pretty friends ?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

TBL :The problem seems to be  that you cannot find a prostitute to satisfy your arousal .

You cannot find one who is attractive enough .

How much of an issue is this ?

Can you still get an erection or is there no reaction at all in that department ?

If you can still get an erection and ejaculate with these not too sexy girls , then I suggest that that is what you do, but offer them a cheaper rate .

You also stated that you didnt visit all the bars , how do you know that there wasnt a dreamgirl in one of those bars ?

Was that just laziness on your part ?

You need to go out at 5 PM and walk around all the bars until you find a pretty , dont have a drink in all the bars , just slowly walk by and take a look inside and see if theres anything that you fancy , some of the girls may arrive for work late , so just keep wondering around the bars .

Or you could go into the bars and ask the ugly girls whether they have any pretty friends ?

I've been hanging in Pattaya for decades. I think I learned everything you wrote about before most of the ladies were born. 

No I didn't trawl all the bars, but that's more down to old age than anything else. W S to Naklua is a long way on ancient legs.

Absolutely classic reply. Thanks for the laugh.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, balo said:

I'm delighted to learn that you don't know your way around.

10 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

you mentioned expensive loads of times, complained about a 50THB ride, so not silly at all.

I complained about being extorted for a baht bus ride, not the amount. It's a normal amount in Chiang Mai for that distance.

Yes, Pattaya is very expensive now, but things haven't got better to justify the cost. In fact many things have got worse. Unless people enjoy paying too much for substandard goods and services, I don't see what your point is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jenny2017 said:

Yep, keep it in your memory. I'll never forget Ko Samed almost 20 years ago. No electricity at night, but candlelight dinner at the beach for an affordable price.

I think that all of these places have changed and so have we. 

25 years ago I liked Samet. 15 years ago I hated it. Garbage tip end to end.

• Like 2

The OP review is not unfair but there is still fun to be had here. Even on WS! There are great restaurants here. There is still a buzz here and if you are a night owl can get a drink after 2am. But no its not what it was but where  in the world is? Where is cheaper  and better and more fun than it was 20 years ago? Possibly the Balkans. Certainly not Chang Mai or Bangkok. Utterly ruined by the authorities 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Some good comments but I am surprised by the coffee.

CM has several coffee plantations in the mountains and many small shops selling local coffees. I think it is maybe the best in the country.

With this, the coffee here has made a nice transition over the past 5 years mostly fresh brew.

I rarely drink coffee, and then only to keep me awake, so coffee is not going to make me go anywhere. However, re Pattaya vs Chiang Mai, Pattaya is still way, way superior to Chiang Mai for night life, restaurants, things to do, public transport, concerts etc. Where C M wins though, is cost for living in. Far better accommodation at much better prices. In fact, the place I live in is the reason I never moved back to Pattaya.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The manic said:

The OP review is not unfair but there is still fun to be had here. Even on WS! There are great restaurants here. There is still a buzz here and if you are a night owl can get a drink after 2am. But no its not what it was but where  in the world is? Where is cheaper  and better and more fun than it was 20 years ago? Possibly the Balkans. Certainly not Chang Mai or Bangkok. Utterly ruined by the authorities 

Walking Street was fine. I didn't mean to give the impression it wasn't. My only complaint was that all the lovely bottoms disappeared far too early. I was never one for going out so early, but by 10PM all that was left were some very nice Chinese tourist ladies in the crocodiles.

Still possible to get a drink for 65 baht at Lucky Star bar, and they have loud real music again after having to mute it for years. AC DC was made to be played LOUD on W S- excellent.

Good meals to be had at marine Seafood at reasonable prices.

They did finish the building opposite it, but I have no idea what it is. Nothing to with nightlife apparently. They demolished a lot of bars for it.

What puzzled me though is what happened to Little Arabia? Seems to have vanished.

If there is anything I disliked about W S now it's the appearance of so many posh nightclubs playing noise masquerading as music, and I'll never forgive them replacing the place that played Rolling Stones music. However, Hot Tuna does a reasonable job of real music, and they even have a Bill Wyman lookalike on drums.

• Like 1

I moved out of VT6 in 2011 when it filled up with tourists, it used to be a great place to live.  Now, I only spend a day or two in Pattaya on my way to Koh Chang and/or Koh Kood (never Samet), and I always have a great time, like a sailor on shore leave.  Love the town, there’s never been anything like it. Different than when I first moved there in 2004,  no better or worse, I think it depends on your attitude.

50 minutes ago, balo said:

This is not aimed at you personally, but I've never understood why anyone goes all the way to Asia and then NEEDS to eat western food. I quite like hot dogs as a treat, and DQ do a nice one, but that's just now and then, not a necessary requisite for living here. If every western restaurant and fast food chain vanished from LOS tonight, life would still go on, and Thai waistlines would be all the better for it.

Have you considered <deleted> a 711 girl, or better yet, a real Dairy Queen?  Saw them driving motorbikes, so they                                                   must be old enough.  Hate tattoos, like me?  the best game in town.

1 hour ago, balo said:

The night life is better than in any city in Thailand , maybe with the exception of Bangkok in some parts. 

Thanks. 

Are you upset that the OP was disappointed with Pattaya , so you felt the need to write about how much better Pattaya is than CM ?

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

This is not aimed at you personally, but I've never understood why anyone goes all the way to Asia and then NEEDS to eat western food. I quite like hot dogs as a treat, and DQ do a nice one, but that's just now and then, not a necessary requisite for living here. If every western restaurant and fast food chain vanished from LOS tonight, life would still go on, and Thai waistlines would be all the better for it.

Nonsense , I am a health freak myself  , but I hate chilly and spicy food.   I can only eat 20% of the Thai food offered to me .  

In Pattaya we have several nice western places , that offer healthy western dishes. More healthy than Thais who eat all that fried shit.