Very disappointing visit to Pattaya.

thaibeachlovers

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

ot too many aggressive drunks or expat conmen looking to rip of vulnerable farangs. And I'd say you are much less likely to be a victim of violent crime there than Pattaya.

I have been reading about several crimes in Chiang Mai the last year , also murders involving foreigners and bike gangs , so not sure about CM is any safer than anywhere else.   

I have never experienced any crime in Pattaya , if you behave and are not drunk , nothing bad will happen to most people.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, balo said:

I have been reading about several crimes in Chiang Mai the last year , also murders involving foreigners and bike gangs , so not sure about CM is any safer than anywhere else.   

I have never experienced any crime in Pattaya , if you behave and are not drunk , nothing bad will happen to most people.  

Yes, me too. I'm not a drinker and I avoid being out there late at night. A few people that I know who live there take similar precautions. But you can't get away from the fact that some foreigner appears to either die, get robbed, get conned, or receives a kicking in Pattaya almost every day ... the local news is a pretty depressing read ... last time I was there it was a guy stamped to death by an ex-con in soi 6, people getting a kicking in bars, numerous new members of the Pattaya balcony flying club ... after a while it gets a bit depressing. 

Edited by AlexRich
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

Yes, me too. I'm not a drinker and I avoid being out there late at night. A few people that I know who live there take similar precautions. But you can't get away from the fact that some foreigner appears to either die, get robbed, get conned, or receives a kicking in Pattaya almost every day ... the local news is a pretty depressing read ... last time I was there it was a guy stamped to death by an ex-con in soi 6, people getting a kicking in bars, numerous new members of the Pattaya balcony flying club ... after a while it gets a bit depressing. 

Local news in any locale is usually the same!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, LennyW said:

44 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Oh really? I’ve just spent a couple of months in a European country packed with expats and tourists and I’ve yet to read of someone deliberately jumping off their condo, being beaten to death by ex-cons or being mugged by ladyboys. If what you are suggesting is that the risk in Pattaya is just like any other town you have a very poor understanding of probability.

9 hours ago, balo said:

You seem to be on a mission to convince everyone that Pattaya is better then Chiang mai

• Haha 1

Pattaya has changed a lot in the last 18 years. There will always be transportation rip offs. My girlfriend had to grind on a baht bus driver for trying to overcharge us for a trip from the bus station to Jomtien. He quickly backed down to the "Thai price" after she gave him a piece of her mind. She has worked as a restaurant supervisor for many years, here in Pattaya and knows the prices and saves me a lot of money. If you're lucky enough to have a woman with a straight job as a girlfriend, you will encounter fewer problems. Not everyone is determined to rip you off. Nothing remains the same forever, certainly not places like Pattaya.

• Confused 1

On 7/17/2018 at 7:48 AM, Saraphee said:

Pattaya - went once..................

Chiang Mai has been a boiler room hub for decades.  There was also a wi de  reaching pyramid fraud at the expat club.

25 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You seem to be on a mission to convince everyone that Pattaya is better then Chiang mai

I found Chiang Mai to be a great place to visit. The only drawback is the "burning season". Otherwise, CM is almost the best place in Thailand to live.

11 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Have you had a look at Andrew Drummond reports on Pattaya based conmen? Many foreigners have paid money to buy a condo and been ripped off ... or maybe I imagined it? LOL :coffee1:

Like i said majority of expats are pensioners scratching out a living with nothing to be conned out of. Cant paint pattaya with a broad brush because of a few fools and there money. Maybe Issarn doesnt have con men and is safe for expats to live without fear ?

Edited by fathersicksendmoney

1 minute ago, balo said:

Yes and now it's turning into Chinatown . 

I assume you're referring to the constant flow of Chinese tour buses. It will only get worse. The Chinese have not endeared themselves to Thais because of their behavior, but they spend money here and will always be welcome for that reason. Their rudeness contrasts with the politeness of the Thais, but that's just a cultural difference that is not likely to change.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 2:13 PM, balo said:

Since I have lived over a longer period at both places , I can compare . 

That gives me enough reason to comment .

I lived in CM for 12 months , I was out on my bicycle daily . 

I am not a sex expat , I work as a digital nomad .  I love Pattaya for it's variety , its unique in Thailand.  

The variety of genders, or the variety of temples? It's indeed unique in Thailand. 

Oh really? I’ve just spent a couple of months in a European country packed with expats and tourists and I’ve yet to read of someone deliberately jumping off their condo, being beaten to death by ex-cons or being mugged by ladyboys. If what you are suggesting is that the risk in Pattaya is just like any other town you have a very poor understanding of probability.

Spain is notorious for pickpockets and balcony deaths are not uncommon there. In London 86 murders, multiple stabbings and acid attacks. If Pattaya was dangerous and violent I would not live here. I go out at all times of day and night.

• Like 1

If you Introduced thousands of $30 hookers that offer the "GF experiance" and the  associated problems that go with it ? to the point where the dummies think the love is real then your going to see some balcony flyers emerge

Crank the climate temps up to boiling humidity , intro cheap beer bars so alcoholism can be added in the mix and you will see even more flyers .?

Edited by fathersicksendmoney

1 hour ago, The manic said:

Not much effort required.CM is a city under occupation where night life finishes by 11pm. Pollution and trafic jams dominate the day. Packbackers and gays dominate the tourist scene. 

Thats just what we tell the Pattaya people .

Dont want all those kind of people coming  up here . 

2 minutes ago, fathersicksendmoney said:

Having looked at OP'S previous Pattaya posts it appears this his second disappointing trip report and visit from chiang mai to Pattaya.

One has to ask the obvious question?

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

I originally come from the UK, i can assure you the risk is far greater there than here right now,  if you cannot see or are not aware then you are delusional!! Far more likely to be stabbed in London than Pattaya.

If you think Pattaya is a safer place for you to stay than the UK then you are drinking far too many cans of Chang. 

55 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I have lived here 2 1/2 years never had a problem. It takes two to tango usually people being stupid, unaware, or drunk.

From your own words you sound fearful, scared, and depressed.

Serious question: Why are you here?

Some people smoke for 60 years and die of old age ... but does that mean smoking is not harmful? We're talking about probability ... the likelihood of coming unstuck in Pattaya is much higher than Europe. Why would I be depressed ... and why do you fear the truth about your adopted home?

13 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

If you think Pattaya is a safer place for you to stay than the UK then you are drinking far too many cans of Chang. 

I too feel much safer in Pattaya than the UK. I am safer. Especially at night.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, The manic said:

Baht buses run on set routes and have set charges of 10 and 20 baht. If you hire one illegally as a taxi there are no fixed prices whatever your nationality. 

My GF seemed to disagree and so did the other Thai passengers who were packed into the baht bus. It may be "illegal" but this has been the reality at the Pattaya Bus Station for many years. Thais were getting a better rate than I was until she decided to argue the point. The fact that the driver backed down rather than tell us to get off his bus, shows that he KNEW she was right. I had a Thai-American man sitting across from me that told me point blank that I was being ripped off. I was in the mood to just pay his price and shutting up, but my headstrong, 46 year old restaurant supervisor wouldn't hear of it.