Elon Musk calls British diver in Thai cave rescue a 'pedo' in baseless attack

webfact

5 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

What a looser, one more reason for me Not to buy any of his products and of course share his tweet and the post in the Guardian.

You were never in a position to purchase his products. It's not as if Thailand is set up for Tesla vehicles or you are going to be riding on the SpaceX anytime soon is it?  Can you even afford a Tesla vehicle? As for posting in the Guardian, most intelligent people stopped reading it long ago.

5 hours ago, MaiDong said:

For someone so apparently bright, this bloke comes across incredibly thick sometimes.

Not thick, but malicious, vindictive, and mean. Musk has a  long history of abusive behaviour. It's part of what made him successful, but will also most likely leave him an unhappy, broken man.

5 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

From Ironman to jackass in one tweet.

He was always a jackass. It's just that he was able to cover his scat either through bullying or through intimidation.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

You don't know anything about Americans. There are at least 2 million, excluding military, who live around the world outside the U.S. You seem to think you're an expert on the American people, but what I'm reading from you is tired stereotypes from Europe and the Commonwealth countries. Can you find Idaho on a map?

I am an American.  Americans in Thailand are not representative of Americans in general.  How many Americans do you think even have a passport?  Majority?

6 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I am an American.  Americans in Thailand are not representative of Americans in general.  How many Americans do you think even have a passport?  Majority?

Only 20% i believe.

I really hope that this doesn't turn into an "American" thing because its not, its about Elon Musk who just happens to be an American.  And i doubt he's to everyones choosing in the States either for that matter!!

I think Vern's interview showed he was quite surprised at anyone turning up with such a silly contraption

and he was smiling as the reporter asked him questions, just a bit shocked at Musk's

cheek in presenting such an inappropriate  item, not really vengeful or angry.

it was obviously a PR mission that had badly backfired.

3 minutes ago, carmine said:

Only 20% i believe.

I really hope that this doesn't turn into an "American" thing because its not, its about Elon Musk who just happens to be an American.  And i doubt he's to everyones choosing in the States either for that matter!!

Thank you for the figure.  And no, I never meant my original question to be a bashing of Americans (as I am an American myself).  I for one never felt that America had this negative notion of expats in Thailand, at least not as much as many Europeans seem to have.  So it came as a surprise to me that Musk made that comment.  I honestly would like to ask him why he made that pedo comment. 

4 hours ago, Eligius said:

I don't know the details of Musk's family life, etc., but he seems to come out with some seemingly VERY extreme statements - even about his own father. This is something he has said, for example, about his dad:

'"My dad will have a carefully thought-out plan of evil. He will plan evil. Almost every crime you can possibly think of, he has done. Almost every evil thing you could possibly think of, he has done. It's so terrible, you can't believe it," said the man who harbours plans to create habitable colonies on distant planets.'

Pretty strong stuff!

You can't judge him on what he said about his own father. A lot of the world's worst criminals had children.

What he said about his father is close to what my wife can say about her mother. Unless you've experienced pure evil from a family member, don't judge. There isn't much in life more traumatic than an evil mother or father.

Incidentally, he actually cried when talking about his father in the interview you quoted from... 

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/elon-musk-the-architect-of-tomorrow-120850/

2 minutes ago, zoza said:

I think Vern's interview showed he was quite surprised at anyone turning up with such a silly contraption

and he was smiling as the reporter asked him questions, just a bit shocked at Musk's

cheek in presenting such an inappropriate  item, not really vengeful or angry.

it was obviously a PR mission that had badly backfired.

I think you nailed it

1 minute ago, tropo said:

You can't judge him on what he said about his own father. A lot of the world's worst criminals had children.

What he said about his father is close to what my wife can say about her mother. Unless you've experienced pure evil from a family member, don't judge. There isn't much in life more traumatic than an evil mother or father.

Incidentally, he actually cried when talking about his father in the interview you quoted from... 

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/elon-musk-the-architect-of-tomorrow-120850/

Whats the link to his comments about Vern Unsworth?

43 minutes ago, newatthis said:

Internationally, this will pass. Millions will wake up tomorrow morning, have a nice breakfast and not even think about it. Sure, the media will do a bit more on it.  Here in Thailand amongst the expats and probably on TVF, it will get milked to death BUT, in the long run, it won't hurt Musk.

You sure about that? Already among his own investors he's believed to be skating on thin ice. Any move to censure him, regardless of whether it succeeds, will damage his reputation. A guy like Musk sees himself as a budding philanthropist, a la Gates. The fact that he removed the offending tweets so quickly indicates he does care about how he is perceived.

Vernon Unsworth hasn’t ruled out legal action over Elon Musk’s ‘pedo’ slur

The Australian2:01PM July 16, 2018

The British cave diver at the centre of a bizarre attack from Elon Musk says he hasn’t ruled out taking legal action against the Tesla and SpaceX CEO.

Musk’s attack played out on Twitter, when he labelled Vernon Unsworth — who played a crucial role in the rescue of the Thai soccer team — a “pedo” because he lives in Thailand.

The Tesla co-founder made the claim as he defended his offer of a minisub to help the rescue effort, which Mr Unsworth had slammed as a “PR stunt.”

Read more: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/elon-musk-attacks-thai-cave-rescuer-as-pedo/news-story/4d3ec6957ecbe7b81b508dca62745803

Edit by Maestro: Seeing that the above link runs up against a paywall when clicked more than once, I have looked for another source and found it here:

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/thai-boys-rescued-from-cave-find-out-about-diver-who-died-trying-to-rescue-them/news-story/4e7d8dd9330c3ec6bfc423835d1cac90

25 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Correct,  from my experience all the Americans I've met in Thailand are total wnkrs. Getting around with their "I'm-better-than-my-own-countrymen" attitudes because they have a passport. 

Nope, but the best, most friendly people I've ever met have been Americans. But y'all need to travel to the States to meet them

There's money with class, and money with none. I was a member of a very large golf club in Australia where I saw a lot of both. Mr. Musk put himself in the latter category very firmly with his tweet.

Too late to withdraw it now. He's realised he had a bad case of foot in mouth.

5 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

On a serious note, Vern will not win this spat. The unfortunate truth, that many of us farang delude ourselves into rebutting, is that people (especially foreigners) affiliated with Thailand are given a poor reputation globally. Everyone is suspicious of farangs who end up here. And, without judging Vern, his interview (assuming it's not editorialized) lacked tact and potentially sheds some light on his character and education level. Who would tell Elon Musk to "shove it up his #$$"?

Many of us won't accept that Thailand is not well-regarded by outsiders (for mostly good reasons). I avoid telling anyone that I have been based here as not doing so would open me up to unnecessary attacks.

He already won this spat as Musk deleted his tweets after he got massive negative response. So nonsense post.

I do believe Vern's tone was somewhat rude and unnecessary but I am certain Mr. Musk has taken a personal assault to an extreme and is way over the top.

It might be better if both parties calm  down and simply concentrate on the fact the 13 people are alive due to people like Vern  and the other divers who risked their lives and the fact that a person  volunteered to assist and lost his life.

58 minutes ago, HHTel said:

To put that into perspective, 5.5 million brits live abroad or almost 10%

Population of the US 325 million and 2 million live outside the US!

Have a close look at both countries. That should explain why so many Brits can't wait to leave. A cold, damp, miserable country with millions of complainers. The problem is, once they leave they don't stop complaining about their new place of residence either.

I'm with Vern on this. He should sue in Thailand under Thailand's defamation laws. He may never collect, but he can keep Elon from coming back.

It's high time for Mr Musk's stock holders to rein him in and make him pick a single company to be CEO of and stop moonlighting and splitting his attention many different ways and pulling publicity stunts that are more about Elon than Tesla.

12 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Vernon Unsworth hasn’t ruled out legal action over Elon Musk’s ‘pedo’ slur

The Australian2:01PM July 16, 2018

The British cave diver at the centre of a bizarre attack from Elon Musk says he hasn’t ruled out taking legal action against the Tesla and SpaceX CEO.

Musk’s attack played out on Twitter, when he labelled Vernon Unsworth — who played a crucial role in the rescue of the Thai soccer team — a “pedo” because he lives in Thailand.

The Tesla co-founder made the claim as he defended his offer of a minisub to help the rescue effort, which Mr Unsworth had slammed as a “PR stunt.”

Read more: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/elon-musk-attacks-thai-cave-rescuer-as-pedo/news-story/4d3ec6957ecbe7b81b508dca62745803

If Mr. Musk is still in Thailand , file defamation charges, revoke his passport, and let the chip fall as they may.

Stop!!! He's a Billionaire.  Nevermind!

1 hour ago, jerry921 said:

It's high time for Mr Musk's stock holders to rein him in and make him pick a single company to be CEO of and stop moonlighting and splitting his attention many different ways and pulling publicity stunts that are more about Elon than Tesla.

One major stockholder is already doing it.

Musk has repeatedly come under fire for his behavior on Twitter and for Tesla’s PR strategy, under which it aggressively attacks critics and journalists. James Anderson, a partner at Baillie Gifford, Tesla’s fourth-largest shareholder, said in a recent Bloomberg interview the company needed a period of “peace and execution”, adding: “It would be good to just concentrate on the core task.”

Asked about the “pedo” tweet, Anderson told the Guardian in an email: “I intend to convey my – predictable I trust – feelings to the company tomorrow.” He declined to elaborate.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/15/elon-musk-british-diver-thai-cave-rescue-pedo-twitter

Archived