Sound Cards

rgs2001uk

help needed from you experts out there.

i want to record to my hard drive the music i am streaming.

i dont play games, and i dont need any high quality surround sound.

all i want is a sound card capable of playing music and recording at the same time.

i am running xp, 2.8 cpu with 1 gig of ram, ther are spare slots on my motherboard.

people keep telling me to go for soundblaster x-fi platinum.

what i want to know, is this worth the money, or over rated, would i be paying for a name?

what alternatives are available and what price should i be paying in bangkok?

i am willing to spend up to 10,000 baht.

If you just want to record what you are hearing from your existing sound card you just need a programme that will save the sound - Audacity is a free download and very good at recording what you are listening to.

I sometimes listed to Internet radio and record it with Audacity - works a treat and its FREE. There is a link to the Audacity web site HERE

The file can be saved as a wav file or MP3.

Your sound card obviously plays a large part in the quality of what you hear but it might be worth trying your existing card and see if you really need an upgrade.

Hope this helps. :o

thanks stekmer

i already use either soundforge v6 or cool edit pro.

trouble is i have a crap o/b soundcard, and it cannt handle it.

computer shuts down and reboots, after 10-15 minutes,

makes it a bit difficult when trying to d/l a 2 hr led zep concert.

personally i think it is a hardware problem, eg the souncard, as opposed to software.

but thanks for taking the time to reply.

help needed from you experts out there.

i want to record to my hard drive the music i am streaming.

i dont play games, and i dont need any high quality surround sound.

all i want is a sound card capable of playing music and recording at the same time.

i am running xp, 2.8 cpu with 1 gig of ram, ther are spare slots on my motherboard.

people keep telling me to go for soundblaster x-fi platinum.

what i want to know, is this worth the money, or over rated, would i be paying for a name?

what alternatives are available and what price should i be paying in bangkok?

i am willing to spend up to 10,000 baht.

I have an Audigy Sound Blaster, and found it to be superb. Over the last three years, I have recorded over 12GB of streaming. I am sure that the XF platinum must be even better than the one that I have, so go for it!

If quality is a big deal to you, go with an external USB soundcard that isn't on the recieving end of all the electronic noise being thrown around inside a high speed computer that causes interference.

http://www.creative.com/products/product.a...mp;product=9103

wow, thats a serious bit of kit there, the dogs <deleted> by the look of it, probablly a bit over the top for my needs.

as marquess is living in bangkok and is able to record streaming music with his sound card, i think i will take his advice.

thanks to both of you guys, cdnvic and marquess for replying, now i can give concert vault a serious hammering, probablly burn out my true adsl ethernet port in the process.

once again thanks for your input, i appreciate it.