My Neighbor Hung Himself Today

pampal

Today around 12pm my neighbor hung himself.

He didn't just hang himself, he tied a long rope around his neck and threw himself off his balcony on the 7th floor.

He was hanging dead two floors below his balcony.

Our condo is on Charoen Krung at the beginning of Chinatown.

The whole street came to a standstill and there were many different cops in the building.

His girlfriend and many others were in the hallway crying and screaming.

His neck was partially severed and he was bleeding all over the street, a really sad and sickening sight.

From what I understand, he had a fight with his girlfriend and was very angry. The rest is a puzzle.

Further evidence why Thais are slightly phobic regarding foreigners...

Did OP say that the neighbor was a foreigner? :D

Just fight and suicide? Is this the worth of his life? I just wonder why people have such high ego, sadistic approach towards life.

Anyway RIP, if he is murdered. :o

How sad.

The guy must have been under incredible mental stress as this was definitely no cry for help

I feel really sorry for his girlfriend, family and friends and anybody who witnessed his death

Edited by garro

As my girlfriend was coming home from work, she noticed the crowds looking up at the building.

She also looked up and saw the frightening sight of a bleeding dead body hanging from the building.

She is very unsettled and upset and it's difficult calming her down.

Really sad for everyone who saw it.

It was so graphic and public.

As my girlfriend was coming home from work, she noticed the crowds looking up at the building.

She also looked up and saw the frightening sight of a bleeding dead body hanging from the building.

Horrible sight. You might want to suggest taking your girlfriend to a temple and maybe doing something in the apartment too in case she is bothered by spirits. Just a thought :o

Horrible sight. You might want to suggest taking your girlfriend to a temple and maybe doing something in the apartment too in case she is bothered by spirits. Just a thought :o

Thanks for the advice, if I can talk her into going to the temple, I will.

I still don't understand why it took 2 hours for the police to bring the body back 

inside the building 

and into an ambulance. Yes an ambulance even though he was very dead.

I've often heard it said that suicide is a permanent "solution" to a temporary problem. Sadly so, especially in the case of a romantic argument--so many other ways to deal with it. The problem with a suicide is the "tunnel vision" syndrome--they just see no other way out. I think Thailand/BKK has a suicide hotline doesn't it? A good means of helping people with alternative solutions. Sorry this guy didn't take the chance to find another way.

It's really strange that I never heard my neighbors fighting, I live next door so I would hear their fighting if it did happen.

Also because it's sunday, there were many people in the building, as opposed to other days where the building is more than half empty.

A sad spectacle(spelling).

I hope the people he left behind can somehow get over this loss.

I still don't understand why it took 2 hours for the police to bring the body back

inside the building

and into an ambulance. Yes an ambulance even though he was very dead.

Because it is part of the procedure here that a forensic team has to investigate the scene. That can take a while at times, espcially when they are busy in other parts of town before arriving. And the procedures at such suicides can take time as well. Before this is finished the corpse cannot be moved from its original position to prevent allegations of tampering with the scene. I have been at such scenes where it took more than an hour for the forensic team to arrive.

Upcountry things are treated though a bit more basic.

Usually though in inner Bangkok it is not an ambulance in which the corpse will be put, but a covered pick up tuck of either the Por Teck Tueng Foundation, or the Ruamkatanyu Foundation, depending who is on duty that day in the area. The trucks though are used as ambulances as well.

I still don't understand why it took 2 hours for the police to bring the body back

inside the building

and into an ambulance. Yes an ambulance even though he was very dead.

Because it is part of the procedure here that a forensic team has to investigate the scene. That can take a while at times, espcially when they are busy in other parts of town before arriving. And the procedures at such suicides can take time as well. Before this is finished the corpse cannot be moved from its original position to prevent allegations of tampering with the scene. I have been at such scenes where it took more than an hour for the forensic team to arrive.

Upcountry things are treated though a bit more basic.

Usually though in inner Bangkok it is not an ambulance in which the corpse will be put, but a covered pick up tuck of either the Por Teck Tueng Foundation, or the Ruamkatanyu Foundation, depending who is on duty that day in the area. The trucks though are used as ambulances as well.

Makes sense to wait for the forensic team. There were a large number of people going in and out of the apartment, taking pictures etc...

It's strange that they put the body in an ambulance, I thought  the Por Teck Tueng Foundation, or the Ruamkatanyu Foundation operated from chinatown or near, but they were not here today.

Thanks for the info

Makes sense to wait for the forensic team. There were a large number of people going in and out of the apartment, taking pictures etc...

It's strange that they put the body in an ambulance, I thought the Por Teck Tueng Foundation, or the Ruamkatanyu Foundation operated from chinatown or near, but they were not here today.

Thanks for the info

Yeps, in such a case there'll be the whole crowd - all papers will send their journalists, and TV as well. Cops take pictures, etc.

This is unusually gruesome for a suicide. Usually people hang themselves in their rooms, or in bushy areas out of the way, where they will be found by coincidence. And sometimes only after the smell alerted people. Which is not a very nice sight either.

Very unusual that the foundations were not there. Maybe the team of the foundation was busy at some other case. Corpses are only collected by cars called 'Norc Khaet', responsible for larger districts than the volonteer districts (Which can be in inner bangkok very small), not the normal volonteers. In Por Teck Tueng they are the ones on monthly salary, and Ruamkatanyu it will be volonteers on a daily wage for that particular duty. But at least the volonteers should have been there, today it would have been the Por Teck Tueng in that part of town, i believe.

Ruamkatanyu's headquarters is in Wat Hualompong, the larger Por Teck Tueng has their headquarters in Pra Pha Chai in Chinatown.

My condolences to the friends, family and loved ones of the victim. Suicide is a horrible thing. It's difficult for everyone to deal with. Usually, there is significant depression or problems--not usually just a lover's spat (although situational suicide does occur, it's usally among younger people, like teenagers).

If this guy actually had bought the rope and had it in the apartment, this may tell us more about his state of mind.

Last night as I attempted to open the apartment window for some fresh air, my g/f got scared.

I asked her what is the problem?

She replied that if you open the window, the dead neighbors' ghost will come inside the apartment.

Today, she insisted that we move to a new apartment.

How can I address this issue and lessen her fears?

Will a visit from monks help?

Someone mentioned this in a previous post.

Our condo is a rental, and our landlord found out that we want to leave, so she is offering to reduce the rent and finally have ADSL installed in our unit, seems like she want to offer us perks to stay.

I would ask your girlfriend what would make her feel more at ease, but, yes, I think a visit from the monks is a very good idea. I don't know the Thai word for it, but they can perform a good luck & "exorcism" (for want of a better word) ceremony, which may make her feel better.

My condolences to the friends, family and loved ones of the victim. Suicide is a horrible thing. It's difficult for everyone to deal with. Usually, there is significant depression or problems--not usually just a lover's spat (although situational suicide does occur, it's usally among younger people, like teenagers).

If this guy actually had bought the rope and had it in the apartment, this may tell us more about his state of mind.

Thanks for your thoughtfull words,

No one knows if this was pre meditated, or spur of the moment.

In time, I 'm sure more will be known about his motives and/or

state of mind.

Last night as I attempted to open the apartment window for some fresh air, my g/f got scared.

She replied that if you open the window, the dead neighbors' ghost will come inside the apartment.

Our condo is a rental, and our landlord found out that we want to leave, so she is offering to reduce the rent and finally have ADSL installed in our unit, seems like she want to offer us perks to stay.

I suppose it depends on how strong your girlfriends beliefs are. The temple sounds like a great idea. Another would be a Mau Pee (or spirit doctor). He/she could perform a blessing and put your girlfriend's fears at rest. It seems a shame to move if you are settled.

I would ask your girlfriend what would make her feel more at ease, but, yes, I think a visit from the monks is a very good idea. I don't know the Thai word for it, but they can perform a good luck & "exorcism" (for want of a better word) ceremony, which may make her feel better.

I will ask her thai co-workers to arrange a visit from the monks tonight.

Thanks for the advice

I suppose it depends on how strong your girlfriends beliefs are. The temple sounds like a great idea. Another would be a Mau Pee (or spirit doctor). He/she could perform a blessing and put your girlfriend's fears at rest. It seems a shame to move if you are settled.

Personally, I don't want to move. I like this condo and for the most part, the people that live here.

Do Mau Pee belong to a specific temple or are they sort of free lance?

I don't believe in ghost but if I were you I would move apartment just to forget about the incident.

Thanks for your input

Personally, I don't want to move.

I like this condo and it's very near to my g/f's shop.

but my g/f's mental health is more important than what I want, so it's up to her.

If I can allay her fears, I will not move, but if not I will have to find a new condo.

The Mau Pee is more to do with the pre-Buddhist belief of annimism( excuse the spelling) but is still held in great reverence by most Thais. I think if you ask around your area someone will point you in the right direction. In a village they are very easy to find but you will probably need to ask in the city.

Will a visit from monks help?

Suicide is the worst case of "Dai Hoong" - a bad death - and in popular believe leaves the strongest malevolent spirits. In all Hindu/Buddhist cultures the proper way how to die is very important. All sudden forms of death are bad deaths as they do not leave the person the time to properly prepare for death. In the old days, and still today in some areas, suicides will not be given a proper funeral.

Your girlfriend will come down soon enough. Usually the condo owner will soon get monks to perform the necessary rituals to cleanse the place from the residual energy. Another thing she can do is making merit for the deceased at the local temple, or at the headquerters of the foundations.

Another thing people do is to have a shower with by blessed water, made by a monk or a mor pee, to wash the bad energies off.

As forum rulw number 1 reads:

1) You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, referencing prostitution (including bargirls and barboys), referencing suicide, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

I'm amazed that such a thread has been allowed.

Are these forum rules out of date, or are they just enforced with no real consistancy?

As forum rulw number 1 reads:

1) You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, referencing prostitution (including bargirls and barboys), referencing suicide, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

I'm amazed that such a thread has been allowed.

Are these forum rules out of date, or are they just enforced with no real consistancy?

To clarify the rule for you, talking about a suicide is not in violation of any law (note above). If we were talking about how to do it might well be. If we were making threats of suicide it also might violate laws. Believe the thread has merit and should remain. The fear of posters wife is important and has resulted in important information being shared.

Okay, point taken Tywais, though i think posts like the one i have quoted could be deleted, it's disrespectful and no useful information could be gleamed from it.

Edited by tywais
Quote removed from previous deleted post