Citibank ATM in BKK - no more 50k limit? Now only 30k???

Tried to withdraw the max 50k limit from Citibank ATM using my international bank's atm visa debit card as I have been doing for many years but today I couldn't as the ATM was giving me an error "Please contact your bank as there's a problem with your card". Customer service person said it's a max of US$1,000 per day or 30k baht limit. Told her that I've always been taking 50k out for years. She went to talk to another lady who also said limit is 30k, which I said the same that I've always taken 50k. She spoke to another man and apparently since near end of last month (June) the limit has been brought down to 30k! Has anyone else come across this? Citibank used to be the only bank to go to withrdaw from with a decent limit ever since all others have ridiculously low  limits. Now they've joined the bandwagon to be the same.

• Like 1

AEON used to have a higher limit, but was brought down to 20K some years back.

Right now, I think, CIMB, Krungsri and TMB all still offer 30K max thru their ATMs. I don't know any Thai bank that offers any more than 30K per withdrawal.  All the others are less.

I never used Citibank in the past, despite their higher limit, because they seemed when I tried their few ATMs in BKK to provide a very poor exchange rate.

I use BBL and the limit is B20K per withdrawal and 2 withdrawals per day are allowed = B40K/Day. Higher limits are available up to B100K depending on which ATM card they have given you. Just remember that the daily limit is to protect you and them from losing money when your card is stolen or cloned.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

AEON used to have a higher limit, but was brought down to 20K some years back.

Right now, I think, CIMB, Krungsri and TMB all still offer 30K max thru their ATMs. I don't know any Thai bank that offers any more than 30K per withdrawal.  All the others are less.

I never used Citibank in the past, despite their higher limit, because they seemed when I tried their few ATMs in BKK to provide a very poor exchange rate.

Yeah I used to use AEON when the limits were 40k and AEON didn't charge ATM fees.

I always thought Citibank or any bank if you clicked on "Credit" when using a debit ATM card that has the Visa symbol on it would transact at Visa's forex rates, which were always higher than any bank's rates.

43 minutes ago, Estrada said:

I use BBL and the limit is B20K per withdrawal and 2 withdrawals per day are allowed = B40K/Day. Higher limits are available up to B100K depending on which ATM card they have given you. Just remember that the daily limit is to protect you and them from losing money when your card is stolen or cloned.

Can you explain what's BBL? You mAentioned 100k depending which ATM card they gave you, so that mean you must use BBL bank's ATM card and can't use any international bank's ATM card.

Yes, Transferwise has excellent exchange rates and reasonable fees but you need a local THB account to transfer into. I'm guessing the OP is withdrawing funds from an overseas account because he doesn't have a local one.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Join up with TransferWise. The best ever, and also the best exchange rates.

Since Transferwise lowered their fees for THB last month they are now even to "withdrawing 30k and paying the 220THB out of your own pocket" (of course if your credit card doesn't charge foreign currency fees). If you have a credit card from a bank which refunds the 220THB then withdrawing with credit card is cheaper.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Are the exchange rates a lot better than Visa's exchange rates? I took a look at TransferWise site, their fees are exactly the same if I were to withdraw cash from an ATM card if I include the 200 baht Thai ATM fee and my country's small overseas ATM fee added together.

Is 200 baht Thai ATM  fee the same for all the banks here when using an overseas ATM debit card?

5 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Are the exchange rates a lot better than Visa's exchange rates? I took a look at TransferWise site, their fees are exactly the same if I were to withdraw cash from an ATM card if I include the 200 baht Thai ATM fee and my country's small overseas ATM fee added together.

Is 200 baht Thai ATM  fee the same for all the banks here when using an overseas ATM debit card?

I think it's a bit more than that, I have never drawn out money from a Thai ATM with my UK debit card, it is just pure robbery.

16 hours ago, possum1931 said:

There is very little difference between transferring say GBP 1000 via T'wise into a Bkk Bank THB account, and transferring from a GBP Foreign currency account into THB. Just done both and T'wise saved me BHT 200.

• Like 1