Thai engineer impressed with Musk’s team

webfact

Thai engineer impressed with Musk’s team

By Thai PBS

musk.jpg

Associate Prof Suthisak Soralump prepares to be lowered in a basket from an army helicopter onto the top of Tham Luang cave for a boring expedition to find alternative entrances into the cave.

A Thai engineer involved in the drilling operation to find alternative entrances into Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai at the height of the “Wild Boars” rescue mission early month said yesterday despite all the uproar over SpaceX CEO Elon Musk’s tweets, he was personally impressed with the focus his team of engineers had on attempts to save the young footballers’ lives.

Associate Prof Suthisak Soralump, a geotechnical engineer from Kasetsart University, said the American team showed every intention to be part of the rescue efforts. “They didn’t come with solutions. They didn’t try to tell you what to do. They listened and took notes,” said Suthisak, who also served as a liaison between Thai authorities and foreign experts.

He said that during their discussions, Musk’s team paid attention to details and wasted no time in coming up with ideas. “As soon as we finished talking, they would be on the phone talking to their colleagues back home about how what we discussed could be translated into action,” he said.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-engineer-impressed-musks-team/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-18

2 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

He wants a job with Tesla. Can't say I blame him.

Tesla was a Serbian inventor from the country you know..... you bombed.... probably because of jealousy that he outsmarted Edison.

That's who musk is.... Edison..... a non "revolutionary" inventor with a lot of money.

oki then

• Sad 3

Musk is a bit like the Junta PM, arrive with a fanfare with all the hangers on, instead of just quietly arriving as an interested individual, wander around for awhile, make some noise, and then leave as an expert on the situation - not forgetting to criticise if you don't get full attention and lots of back slapping.   

• Sad 1

Well ! the Thai Engineer was impressed with Musks contraption.

As a person who spend a lot of time down Potholes in the UK when I was a lot younger, and also being a time served Toolmaker, and owning my own business machining metal, I certainly was not.

Amateurish is the word that springs to mind.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, PatOngo said:

As a test driver? Who better than a Thai to find out what a car is made of and if it holds together and if the brakes work or fail!

It takes something like 2,000 bolts to hold a car together.

And only one nut to spread them all over the road.

The only thing I know is that if Musk' team was here 2 days before starting the diving rescue, the "flexible capsule" with some changes will be used for sure, to not take the risk of losing a child because an accident with the mask or bumping in rocks or debris, were very posible.. If just one kid got dead on the diving rescue, today everyone will be asking why the divers didn't wait for a safer solution for the rescue. The "flexible submarine".

Thanks God nothing bad happens, but.... the foreign divers had to get inmunity by the Thai Government because they weren't sure if they will rescue all the kids alive.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-16/thai-cave-rescue-australian-divers-had-diplomatic-immunity/9992204

Edited by Muzarella
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chainarong said:

Enough of this nonsense , the boys are safe and no amount of Elon Musk's could have done the excellent job that the Thai Seals and the International group did,  now let's get on with living our lives.  

The foreign divers just got lucky....and the kids too.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-16/thai-cave-rescue-australian-divers-had-diplomatic-immunity/9992204

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

It takes something like 2,000 bolts to hold a car together.

And only one nut to spread them all over the road.

2000 bolts... Really? Excluding the engine and running gear I very much doubt most modern cars have more than 50.And most of them won't have nuts in the normal sense.... Just quickfit style fittings. 

Edited by tryasimight

6 hours ago, tryasimight said:

2000 bolts... Really? Excluding the engine and running gear I very much doubt most modern cars have more than 50.And most of them won't have nuts in the normal sense.... Just quickfit style fittings. 

Whats a quickfit style fitting ?

I seriously doubt that anyone on this board could make miniature- one person submarine in 48-72 hours, test it, and get it 12,000 miles away.  Had the Musk team had more time- they could have invented a small one person sub that would bend and be flexible in movement.

At least Musk tried to find a solution.  I was quite surprised when one of the British divers made a comment that was downright nasty about Musk's motivation and then I was appalled by Musk's response which was way over the top.

In my mind both parties have now lost any good will that was generated while attempting to solve an almost insolvable issue.

The fact is that the 13 Thai children and their coach were all rescued by a combined Team of Thai  Seals and foreign divers/support teams without any  of the trapped children/coach losing their life.. That is indeed a victory. Unfortunately, one of the Thai divers, a volunteer, gave his life. May he RIP

I hope that Mr Musk and the British diver who have both exchanged inappropriate comments.  . shall now keep quiet

Let the kids, the coach and their families enjoy life

Edited by Thaidream

32 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I seriously doubt that anyone on this board could make miniature- one person submarine in 48-72 hours, test it, and get it 12,000 miles away.  Had the Musk team had more time- they could have invented a small one person sub that would bend and be flexible in movement.

At least Musk tried to find a solution.  I was quite surprised when one of the British divers made a comment that was downright nasty about Musk's motivation and then I was appalled by Musk's response which was way over the top.

In my mind both parties have now lost any good will that was generated while attempting to solve an almost insolvable issue.

The fact is that the 13 Thai children and their coach were all rescued by a combined Team of Thai  Seals and foreign divers/support teams without any  of the trapped children/coach losing their life.. That is indeed a victory. Unfortunately, one of the Thai divers, a volunteer, gave his life. May he RIP

I hope that Mr Musk and the British diver who have both exchanged inappropriate comments.  . shall now keep quiet

Let the kids, the coach and their families enjoy life

Many could easily do it with the same engineering team at their disposal.. If musk did not have a fat cheque book he'd be a nobody.

"one of the British divers made a comment" without being pedantic , he wasn't a diver, he was someone who has spent more time in that cave and mapped most of it more than anyone else, secondly - without him the kids would probably be still in there as he was the one who suggested the drivers who should be contacted and asked to help. Sure, his comment was probably a bit off - but what was the precursor to this - was the interview carefully edited to make the comment the main point of the interview - remember journalists are renown for being other than sticklers of the truth and just love to sensationalise trivia - it helps to sell their product.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2018 at 3:58 PM, Darcula said:

Don't just stop there, please give him an endorsement on LinkedIn too. That's going to look really good on Musk's CV.

You surely jest. Do you really think Musk, one of the richest men in the world, has any use for a CV?

On 7/18/2018 at 3:11 PM, chainarong said:

Enough of this nonsense , the boys are safe and no amount of Elon Musk's could have done the excellent job that the Thai Seals and the International group did,  now let's get on with living our lives.  

100% agree.

Forget the might be movies about it, forget the maybe this would have worked stories.

The kids and their coach are alive. Let them get on with their lives.

Stop all the media crap putting the kids in the limelight and basking in their reflection.

I'm reading a fiction novel at the moment and one line somehow reminded me of the 'media circus' still going on ref' the cave rescue.

A reporter hands her story to the editor who reads it through and says    it's a very clear and accurate report on the story but I can't use it because you haven't got any quotes from celebrities.