Questioned after i made a simple stupid mistake on my arrival card

Hi everybody. Last week, when i landed in DMK with a tourist visa, i accidentally ticked business as a purpose of my trip instead of tourism. When the immigration officer saw that he immediately called his superior who took me to questioning. After i told the superior officer it was just a mistake and that i was here for tourism, he asked me to show my return ticket, the date of which was 70 days after my arrival to Thailand (i always thought i had the right for 90 days with my tourist visa- including the month extension). When the officer saw that, he started questioning me on another matter which is why i'm spending such a long time in Thailand, to which i responded that i had many friends that i missed (i haven't been to Thailand for more than five years) and that i wanted to visit many areas of the country. After examining my return ticket for a third time, he stamped my passport and let me go.

Now, as mentioned before, i haven't been to Thailand for more than three years, and i was planning to get a new tourist visa in Vietnam (three days visa run) after the expiration of the current one (i'm planning to spend 5 months in total in Thailand).Do you think that because of this little incident, the next time i'll be back to Thailand through DMK airport i will be refused entry? I'm wondering if this incident red flagged me on their computerized system for example...

Thank you all for your answers!

(i'm 37 years old, and i'm a Brazilian male)

Edited by galolo
  • Like 1

In the past I always traveled from the USA on the simple visa exempt method.  Several times I was pretty sure I was going to extend and had either an open return flight or a flight 60 days after my arrival.  Never had a question or issue.  Of course unless they asked they would not know what my air ticket reservations were.  The "system" didn't seem to do any automatic checking of arrival/departing reservation checks.

1 hour ago, Essecola said:

Don't Brazilians get 90 day exempt stamps? Like Argentina and Peru and a few others. isnt the 60 day visa a bit redundant or am I wrong?

I know but i prefer having 2 back to back tourist visas instead of 2 back to back exempt entries

Brazilians do get 90-day visa exemptions due to bilateral agreement. So the OP did not require a tourist visa for his 70 days and in addition there’s no need for a visa run to Vietnam. If he wants to make a side-trip there he does not need any sort of re-entry permit. He would get a free 90-day exemption again on his return to Thailand after however number of days.
http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

1 minute ago, billp said:

Brazilians do get 90-day visa exemptions due to bilateral agreement. So the OP did not require a tourist visa for his 70 days and in addition there’s no need for a visa run to Vietnam. If he wants to make a side-trip there he does not need any sort of re-entry permit. He would get a free 90-day exemption again on his return to Thailand after however number of days.

Correct but immigration is very strict on doing the 90 day visa exempt entities he is allowed. People have had problems doing them back to back.

14 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

In the past I always traveled from the USA on the simple visa exempt method.  Several times I was pretty sure I was going to extend and had either an open return flight or a flight 60 days after my arrival.  Never had a question or issue.  Of course unless they asked they would not know what my air ticket reservations were.  The "system" didn't seem to do any automatic checking of arrival/departing reservation checks.

Just buy a cheap throwaway flight from Phuket to KL. That way you can satisfy Immigration and still retain some flexibility with your travel arrangements. Has worked for me in the past.