Hello, I'm new to this forum and I hope I've put this in the right place. My girlfriend who lives in America has been offered a job teachiing in an international school in Thailand. The scholl say that they will arrange a 2 year working visa for her.

I live in the UK and would like to join her if she goes. Would it be difficult for me to get a Visa and would it be possible for me to find work there?

Thank you.

Hmm I'm not sure why this has been moved to the Teaching in Thailand section, my girlfriend is the teacher, not me and she will have all the arrangements made for her. I was asking about what I could do and how easy it would be for me to get a Visa.

I don't think there is such a thing as a working visa (except the non-immF for British Council teachers).

The non-immB visa is the first step to obtaining a work permit which allows you to work legally. The work permit is limited to 1 year but can be renewed each year indefinitely year after year.

This was precisely the case in a friend's situation (except it was the man who had the job, his girlfriend was a trailing partner). He was not able to be a 'sponsor' for her, and they had to get married - they were planning to do that anyway but not just yet. anyoldhow, she did an ESL course and got a job at his school as an assistant, so it isn't quite as cut and dried as it looks.

Nisei, I'm not sure why this was moved to the Teaching forum, and if you want it in the visa forum, we'll put it there.

Do you wish to teach in Thailand? If so, you're in the right ThaiVisa forum. There is a huge thread about Qualifications for teachers that you might want to post your qualifications, if you want to teach.

Nisei, I'm not sure why this was moved to the Teaching forum, and if you want it in the visa forum, we'll put it there.

Do you wish to teach in Thailand? If so, you're in the right ThaiVisa forum. There is a huge thread about Qualifications for teachers that you might want to post your qualifications, if you want to teach.

Yes, could you put it in the Visa forum please?

I'm not a Teacher my girlfriend is and she already has a visa. My question was about if I would be able to join her there, what visa and work permits would I need.

I have no interest in teaching in Thailand but I would like to know what other type of work is available.

I live in the UK and would like to join her if she goes. Would it be difficult for me to get a Visa and would it be possible for me to find work there?

You should have little difficulty getting a 12 month non-o class visa on the grounds of 'visiting family' from the consulate in Hull, you'll still have to do a border crossing every 90 days though. With good timing this visa is good for up to 15 months in the Kingdom.

You can also get a work permit against the non-o should you find a job, you obtain the WP in Thailand once you have a job offer :o

Why you should not join your friend??

You could like many travelers just take a tourist visa,this is thailand,just do it like many of us.

Not go work though,for that you need a work permit.But while you stay here you always could find your way if there is any ,and change your visa status when it is that far.Anyway,you still have a good time in thailand,and the girl making the money,just keep some pocket money for yourself and look what happens.