Cash Exchange.

For various reasons,i am bringing cash on my next holiday

How much cash is it possible to exchange at once.

Would it be easier you you had a bank account.

Is there a limit as to how much cash i am allowed to bring.

Thanks

10,000 buckaroos or equivalent unless you declare you have more:

Exchange Control

Foreign visitors may freely bring in foreign banknotes or other types of foreign money. Upon leaving Thailand, a foreign tourist may freely take out foreign means of payment which he brought in with him. However, there is a limit on foreign notes or coins to a maximum equivalent of 10,000 US Dollars unless the visitor has declared a higher amount upon arrival. Forms to declare the amount of foreign currency brought in are available at the immigration counters of border check points.

http://www.cockatoo.com/english/thailand/t...and_finance.htm

Edited by Jingthing

Exchange Control

Foreign visitors may freely bring in foreign banknotes or other types of foreign money. Upon leaving Thailand, a foreign tourist may freely take out foreign means of payment which he brought in with him. However, there is a limit on foreign notes or coins to a maximum equivalent of 10,000 US Dollars unless the visitor has declared a higher amount upon arrival. Forms to declare the amount of foreign currency brought in are available at the immigration counters of border check points.

The website given , shown again below, is clearly out of date and completely wrong in several aspects so please do NOT rely on it

Exchange Control

The website given , shown again below, is clearly out of date and completely wrong in several aspects so please do NOT rely on it

Topfield:

I believe your source if very out of date by about 6 years or more. At present there is no limit on the amount of foreign currency that can be brought into Thailand....

There is a limit on the amount you can take out of Thailand at present.

remember you will most likely be required to decare a large amount of cash when leaving your home country.

Yep,,,,been there done that.....aint no big deal...just fill out the form, (be accurate right to the dollar) after check in walk down to the arrival area, find the customs people and hand them the form...They usually asked to see my passport to see if the name matched.). Went back up and through security and on the airplane.

(If the scanner should want to look in your bags, pull out a copy of the Customs form and ask for a private area to open your bag. They will usually pass you right through. If you should have someone that try to open your money in public, just put a hand on it and ask to see the supervisor.

I came into the USA one time with $500,000.00 and declared it with the right check mark on the customs decleration and had the monitary form filled out. When asked where I got the money my reply was, "Sir I am required by law to decalre the money, not disussit. I have complied with the law". "Supervisor Please!".

I was out the door in the limo less than 10 minutes.

Always be smart when carrying large amounts of cash. Never let it be opened in any public area by anyone. Never talk about it on the aircraft. Be aware of those people around you. Have a defensive plan. Know EXACTLY where you are going once you exit the customs area. (I make sure my guard/driver is imedatly in front of the cutoms area and the car is at the curb. If not I wait until all is ready, (cell phone call) even if I have to wait to go through customs after everyone else has gone.

Thanks for your replies.

So,will a bank ask a lot of questions,if i exchange say $10.000.- US,to be put in my account.

Say,a Bangkok Bank account.

Or would i be wise to do st. else.....(i am not used to having this kind of money,and they are absolutely legal and all......)

Thanks

its not a problem with that sort of money there is a good private exchange place in bangkok called super rich just down the soi between big c and bangkok bank the rate is normally about 1 and a half baht better than a bank and there is no filling out forms with your passport. i changed £5000 there which is about 10000 us with no problem.

ade

its not a problem with that sort of money there is a good private exchange place in bangkok called super rich just down the soi between big c and bangkok bank the rate is normally about 1 and a half baht better than a bank and there is no filling out forms with your passport. i changed £5000 there which is about 10000 us with no problem.

ade

sorry that is on ratchadamri road