Cashing Amazon Euro bank cheques

If you are being paid in Thailand by Amazon or Createspace you will know that they only pay by cheque (check). The last year and half we have seen the cost of clearing cheques rise significantly at our bank which is SCB. Even with recent increases I was surprised when an Amazon German Euro cheque for 671 euros had 135 euros in overseas bank charges on top of the standard $15 SCB charge. It was a struggle to find out where the charges were made. If it had of been at Amazon's bank, Deutsche Bank I could have maybe argued with Amazon, but I eventually found out via the SCB head office that the charge was made by their corresponding bank in Germany, Standard Chartered. Now we usually see about a 900 baht in overseas bank charges, but over 5,000 baht is really not acceptable. We will of course find an alternative way of bringing in Amazon money and that will be for all the currencies, not just Euros. This is just a warning and your bank may be a lot cheaper, but if you are caught in the same position it could be time to move your banking.

• Like 1