Missouri duck boat captain told passengers not to don life jackets - survivor

rooster59

5 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Why make comments until you actually have reliable facts?

It was just purchased by Ripley Entertainment, so there will have been a safety audit at some point.

Ride The Ducks Branson
Ride The Ducks Branson

If that's the item in question it sure as sh-t is not designed for sea going trips in rough weather.

35 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If that's the item in question it sure as sh-t is not designed for sea going trips in rough weather.

If it went to sea in Missouri then it must have been a hell of a trip.

24 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

If it went to sea in Missouri then it must have been a hell of a trip.

Not one I would even consider.

Basically flat bottomed with steering a combination of small rudder(s) and angle of the front wheels and basically flat out at 5/6 mph.

In the ducks there are the orange put over your head lifejackets. They usually are not inflatable, as they are in an aircraft. so when the storm came up and the captain says do not put on lifejackets, he was endangering the lives of his passengers and should be charged for his actions. Out in a storm, oh what could go wrong? Well this accident happened that's what went wrong.

12 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

No relevance at this time because no facts have been established yet. There is a claim by a distraught woman that is uncorroborated. She doesn't even know if the water or land tour was first. Really? Yes there was a storm warning, but if the time  buffer was respected than the link isn't there. Wait for the facts to be established. Companies like this have histories. If there is one of cutting corners and a failure to  supervise etc., it will quickly be identified.  

Woman like this are usually unreliable witnesses because they see and hear what they think they saw and heard, not necessarily what occurred. The truth will come out, because there will be a transparent investigation, unlike in Thailand. if someone is responsible, that person or persons will be held accountable, again unlike in Thailand.

She did know what was first: water tour since the weather was expected to turn. Read the op properly.

There is a history of accidents here.

This incident has nothing to do with Thailand.

12 hours ago, overherebc said:

Not one I would even consider.

Basically flat bottomed with steering a combination of small rudder(s) and angle of the front wheels and basically flat out at 5/6 mph.

Image result for missouri map

is it possible the captain did the usual announcement to let passengers know where the lifejackets are and then, unfortunately, added some humor to that 'but don't worry you won't need those' ? 

the way it is being portrayed in the media seems like he was serious when he said that and all passengers should ignore the location of lifejackets. 

suffice to say, the 'vessel' should not have gone out.  it isn't appropriate to go out on the water knowing you need to hurry in order to avoid a coming storm.  in that instance, you need to forget the journey, period.  this should be the headline and main focus, not the lifejacket comment (and as noted in the thread already, the whole life jacket thing is a problem in terms of how to survive with one when you are in an enclosed area).

4 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

I bet the victims get more than a token amount of money for their lost lives. Heck, the captain may even have to do real jail time.

if there are no evidence that he did anything wrong, why go to jail?

I am sure there will be an investigation.

as Far as this Thread is concerned, I saw the videotape of the incident and the order not to put on lifejackets until they were out of the cabin is a correct one and standard procedure.

As I said , I am sure there will be an investigation and if charges are warranted the US legal system will deal with them appropriately   

The Coast guard can take his license away for sure. The Captain and the tour company can be SUED for professional negligence, that is a civil offense. They go after whoever has the deepest pockets. (Insurance company)

I don’t think a charge of “boaticular” manslaughter would stick unless he is found to have operated with reckless disregard for safety. I don’t think bad judgement or incompetence can be a CRIMINAL charge , unless other Federal or State law applies.

People who accidentally kill others while operating even a pleasure boating accident in the the USA, drunk, are routinely jailed for manslaughter, just like a car.

Archived