Mystery Booms in Chiang Mai ?

Davef2912

Hey everyone, 

It's Sunday 22.07.2018 morning around 7:20 AM and I am in my apartment near Wat Umong, Chiang Mai. 

Over the last 10 minutes I heard a couple of 'boom' sounds, sounding like a loud heartbeat or a small explosion far away.

I realized that I have heard these sounds before and remember that in the USA there are ongoing stories about mysterious 'boom sounds' and was wondering if that might be the same here.

Has anyone else heard the same sounds?

Does anyone know what the source of these sounds is?

I'm curious...

Like 10 in a row? Between the booms there were breaks of about 10 -20 seconds.

I was thinking it was a construction machine, one of these that ram metal beams into the ground but cannot think of any construction site around here and not of any that would work on a Sunday morning at this time.

I also heard this particular series of booms out in Hang Dong, so I doubt it was construction machines or transformers blowing. At first I though it might be the air force boys playing with their toys.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Could be large firecrackers for a wedding or some other celebration.

Hhmm, could be, but at 7 AM on a Sunday morning?

9 minutes ago, KonJon said:

I also heard this particular series of booms out in Hang Dong, so I doubt it was construction machines or transformers blowing. At first I though it might be the air force boys playing with their toys.

Interesting. I am living with view towards the Airport. I can assure there were not fighter jets flying this morning. I have also been in the Airforce myself for 4 years and I am sure it was no sounds from Airplane. By the way there are no supersonic airplanes stationed at Chiang Mai Airfield afaik.

• Haha 1

Did see a B1 flying low over my house in Pattaya, a few months ago. We're close to the flightpath for Utapo. 2 days later it was reported that 2 B1's had flown over the Korean Penninsula.

These planes are around in Thailand, could be a sonic boom.

Just now, Spidey said:

Did see a B1 flying low over my house in Pattaya, a few months ago. We're close to the flightpath for Utapo. 2 days later it was reported that 2 B1's had flown over the Korean Penninsula.

These planes are around in Thailand, could be a sonic boom.

Thanks for the info.

However, I am quite certain that it was not a sonic boom as I know that sound.

It sounded more like a loud 'heartbeat.' Kind of 'hollow' sound more likely from the ground than from the sky imho.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neeray said:

Do you live in a condo? Maybe it was the sounds of boom boom, not boom. There was another thread on TVF yesterday about loud boom boom sounds.?

? no, I am sure it came from outside ?

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

In your first post you said you heard a couple of booms ?

If 10 in a row,must likely big fireworks at a funeral or other temple festival.

I hear them around where I live,low big boom,boom,boom.rattles the windows.

regards Worgeordie

Almost certainly construction related. A > small controlled explosion to remove sheet/large rock ahead of foundation/pipe excavation or,    B > small controlled seismic explosion to create below ground profile.

I also heard them in Sansai. They were not firecrackers or temple drums 100%. They were not particularly loud out this way, but sub-sonic and very intense. The dogs around the village were really freaked out by them as I was outside when it happened.

Then I saw this posting. So people heard/felt them from Hang Dong to Sansai??? That in itself says something.

If your out in the sticks, like me, the farmers let off firecrackers in the rice fields to scare the birds off. We have some newly seeded and planted paddies across the road from me and since planting, we are getting them every day.

• Like 2

Just now, ianwheldale said:

If your out in the sticks, like me, the farmers let off firecrackers in the rice fields to scare the birds off. We have some newly seeded and planted paddies across the road from me and since planting, we are getting them every day.

What I heard were not firecrackers 100%. They were very, very powerful and sub-sonic. I live right near a place were they do cremations and am used to the firecrackers, both in the mornings and the afternoons. This was unlike anything I have heard in the many years I've lived here.