Mystery Booms in Chiang Mai ?

Davef2912

Where I live in Hang Dong, I often here these loud boom sounds, at times even shaking my house.

When I`ve attended Thai funerals part of the ceremony is when they let off explosive fireworks in succession that`s acts like a salute to the deceased. Some funerals do this, some don`t.

I guess that`s probably the source of the loud booms.

10 hours ago, Spidey said:

Did see a B1 flying low over my house in Pattaya, a few months ago. We're close to the flightpath for Utapo. 2 days later it was reported that 2 B1's had flown over the Korean Penninsula.

These planes are around in Thailand, could be a sonic boom

You guys are doing some hard partying down in Pattaya. What else do you see overhead? 

B1 bombers overflew  South Korea in 2017 and came from Guam. No records of using Utapo, although its said B52' bombers did use Utapo fifty years ago.

Edited by LomSak27

14 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

You guys are doing some hard partying down in Pattaya. What else do you see overhead? 

B1 bombers overflew  South Korea in 2017 and came from Guam. No records of using Utapo, although its said B52' bombers did use Utapo fifty years ago.

Utapo has more or less been continuously used by US military since the Vietnam war. During the Iraq war captives were redacted to Utapo, given a good stiff talking to and then sent on to Guantanamo. Currently at least 200 US military personnel based in Thailand, I would suspect, many of them at Utapo.

All very covert, do you really think that they would make it a matter of public record where they're running their missions from?

I can't say that the B1's that flew over North Korea didn't come from Guam, but you can't say for certainty that they did.

All I can say is that I saw a single B1 close to Utapo 2 days before the report of 2 flying over N.Korea.

So, people from Hang Dong to Nong Hoi to Sansai heard and felt it this morning? Certainly not firecrackers at a local temple!

I would be very curious to know what it was! Like I said before, I've heard and felt all kinds of booms over the last 12 years and have never witnessed anything like this before.

I heard the same sequential explosions a few weeks ago. the unusual thing is that they were at night, maybe 8pm.

I was also puzzled what could create such a loud noise that was akin to a gas bottle explosion or a bomb as the sound waves from x km away hit me like a thud.

I concluded it was a controlled rock blast as explosions were a similar timed spacing.

however, as I write I can hear some appalling karaoke going on at a temple somewhere and the base is very resonant, infact its a kcufing nuisance

4 hours ago, Dellboy218 said:

Probably a funeral, large firework bangs as the pyre is lit.  Very common sound.

If that's the case, they are probably dangerous enough to kill some someone through shock, especially elderly...I cant imagine anyone would be daft enough to go that far

13 hours ago, Davef2912 said:

Like 10 in a row? Between the booms there were breaks of about 10 -20 seconds.

I was thinking it was a construction machine, one of these that ram metal beams into the ground but cannot think of any construction site around here and not of any that would work on a Sunday morning at this time.

Perhaps it was just your heartbeat as you said that's what it sounded like.

I wish people who didn't hear/feel them today would stop going on and on about firecrackers because this had nothing to do with firecrackers at temples, etc.

The military training scenario is the most plausible so far.  It was definitely a "thud", with tremendous force.

• Like 2

Davef2912, i note that you have only a few posts recorded so you may be new to T'land.  One thing the more settled farangs have found is that T'land has many, many unexplainable features...all of which can be lumped under 'Thainess'. And most of the older farangs simply accept Thainess in all it's wondrous forms and quickly move on in life, as fast as possible.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Davef2912, i note that you have only a few posts recorded so you may be new to T'land.  One thing the more settled farangs have found is that T'land has many, many unexplainable features...all of which can be lumped under 'Thainess'. And most of the older farangs simply accept Thainess in all it's wondrous forms and quickly move on in life, as fast as possible.

actually I have been in Thailand for almost 10 years and I heard about 'Thainess' before but thought that this would mostly relay to the behavior, not to unexplained explosion sounds...

But if there are mystery booms in the USA, why couldn't it be that there are similar sounds here? Afaik there has been no real explanation to what the sounds in the USA are caused by.

I'm just curious to what these sounds were caused by as I said they occurred on an early Sunday morning and didn't sounds like any firecracker they usually use at a temple ceremony nor supersonic booms, nor bird scare guns.

Military explosions - yeah, could be, but on an early Sunday morning? And as mentioned, I am living near Wat Umong, not in Mae Rim where most of the military facilities are...

11 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

These booms are not "unexplainable" though , something must be causing them , its just that we dont know what is causing them .

I live in central CM and I also hear them , I would describe them as being a loud thud , which I hear faintly (from a distance) , I would suggest that its people mining in the mountains , or blowing the rocks up to loosen them and using the rocks for road building .

29 minutes ago, sanemax said:

These booms are not "unexplainable" though , something must be causing them , its just that we dont know what is causing them .

I live in central CM and I also hear them , I would describe them as being a loud thud , which I hear faintly (from a distance) , I would suggest that its people mining in the mountains , or blowing the rocks up to loosen them and using the rocks for road building .

Maybe they're blowing up those houses in the forest.

• Haha 1

It's most likely construction on the mountain. 

I have seen puffs of white smoke coincide with the booms. The ones I saw were about midway up and approximately where Hang Dong is. Road, or maybe houses?

6 minutes ago, Wandr said:

It's most likely construction on the mountain. 

I have seen puffs of white smoke coincide with the booms. The ones I saw were about midway up and approximately where Hang Dong is. Road, or maybe houses?

interesting. I also noticed puffs of white smoke sometimes on Doi Suthep. Does anyone know what it is? What are they blowing up in the forest? At 7 AM on a Sunday morning