Suvarnabhumi...have 2019 reentry permit...can i enter with no onward ticket?

So I have a mid 2019 reenry permit obtained as an extension to a non O retirement visa. 

When entering Swampy, will I need an onward ticket or is one way ok? Or will I have difficulties when checking in to my Thai Airways flight to Thailand?

I havent decided  when I want to leave, am planning to stay a few months.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, uncleeagle said:

When entering Swampy, will I need an onward ticket or is one way ok? Or will I have difficulties when checking in to my Thai Airways flight to Thailand?

You won't have any problem at Swampy, and you shouldn't have any problem checking in to your Thai Airways flight. Should the check-in staff ask about a visa just point out the re-entry permit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

You won't have any problem at Swampy, and you shouldn't have any problem checking in to your Thai Airways flight. Should the check-in staff ask about a visa just point out the re-entry permit.

Why??? Point out the obvious instead  The extension of stay...

With a VISA or an extension he do not need any tickets out of Thailand at all..

glegolo

Just now, glegolo said:

Why??? Point out the obvious instead  The extension of stay...

With a VISA or an extension he do not need any tickets out of Thailand at all..

glegolo

Airline staff do not always know the rules or even what a re-entry permit is or does, and almost certainly wouldn't have a clue about the 'extension of stay'.

Without a valid visa airlines are supposed to insist on an onward flight. A re-entry permit is not a visa and it has been known for airline staff to ask for an onward flight even when a re-entry permit exists.

16 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Airline staff do not always know the rules or even what a re-entry permit is or does, and almost certainly wouldn't have a clue about the 'extension of stay'.

Without a valid visa airlines are supposed to insist on an onward flight. A re-entry permit is not a visa and it has been known for airline staff to ask for an onward flight even when a re-entry permit exists.

elvi, its what you said that actually worries me most

9 minutes ago, uncleeagle said:

elvi, its what you said that actually worries me most

You should have no problem.

I am not trying to worry you, but to point out what can (unlikely) happen. If the check-in staff ask to see your visa, or don't accept that an onward flight isn't needed with a re-entry permit, you should ask to speak to a supervisor who should know the drill. If they (unlikely) insist on a ticket you could buy a cheap tick out of Thailand to anywhere, or ask to sign a waiver.

13 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You should have no problem.

I am not trying to worry you, but to point out what can (unlikely) happen. If the check-in staff ask to see your visa, or don't accept that an onward flight isn't needed with a re-entry permit, you should ask to speak to a supervisor who should know the drill. If they (unlikely) insist on a ticket you could buy a cheap tick out of Thailand to anywhere, or ask to sign a waiver.

I dont really understand what you are doing!!!!! Why going on like this, and make this guy afraid like that, for what??

Do not disregard an extension of stay and that the airline dont understand. Just hold up the damn passport, show them the damn stamp, and they can read easily; PERMISSION TO STAY UP TO.....(the date).

So why shouldn´t the airline understand this?????

glegolo

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Do not disregard an extension of stay and that the airline dont understand. Just hold up the damn passport, show them the damn stamp, and they can read easily; PERMISSION TO STAY UP TO.....(the date).

If he had no re entry permit he would also have this extension of stay stamp, but they were right if they then would require an onward flight because if he comes back to Thailand he would just get a Visa exemption. So to be precise they need to see both, extension of stay and re entry.

14 minutes ago, glegolo said:

I dont really understand what you are doing!!!!! Why going on like this, and make this guy afraid like that, for what??

glegolo

Because they are airline staff and not immigration officials!!!!

Your permission to stay ends when you leave the country, so exactly what "permission to stay up to" are you planning to show the airline staff? 

The airline staff should know that an onward flight is not needed when the passenger holds a valid re-entry permit, but the reality is that they don't always know. Even visa holders sometimes get hassle over onward tickets, so why would you think re-entry permit holders don't?

8 hours ago, elviajero said:

Because they are airline staff and not immigration officials!!!!

Which is why their not interested in a re-entry permit.

They know what to look for and when not having a return ticket may mean refusal of entry and the airlines would then have to return the passenger to his point of departure at their own expense.

They look for a valid Visa or Extension.

Not having a re-entry permit isn't the airlines concern.

Many a topic on TV of entering on an extension without a re-entry permit.

Immigration can't ask the airline to return the passenger in this situation.

They issue a 30 day Visa exempt in these cases and with no proof of an onward ticket.

46 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

They know what to look for and when not having a return ticket may mean refusal of entry and the airlines would then have to return the passenger to his point of departure at their own expense.

Many a topic on TV of entering on an extension without a re-entry permit.

They issue a 30 day Visa exempt in these cases and with no proof of an onward ticket.

Yes, this is exactly my feelings in this as well...   elviajero .... Got it now!!

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

53 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The will certainly look for and accept a re-entry permit.

Not everybody that has a re-entry permit.has an extension A re-entry permit can be issued for an entry from a visa which means a person would only have a entry stamp.

This from the page where you can check the requirements for entry.  Click add document here. https://skyteam.traveldoc.aero/

image.png.e7994b3ea3868adb64e56971e324a31e.png

• Like 1

My DIL works as a check in supervisor for Emirates at Manchester airport.

She'd had no idea what a re- entry permit was for until I explained, although she's seen plenty.

She's fully aware and trained on Thailand's Immigration requirements and as long as the passenger has a valid Visa or Extension, they look no further. Having a re-entry permit is not a requirement for the airline to refuse boarding, that's an issue for Immigration when they land.

Even the API system doesn't detect a problem with entry to Thailand on a valid extension without re-entry permit, because they'd still be allowed entry regardless.

Only when having no valid Visa or Extension will they check nationality requirements against entry to Thailand and check their flight itinerary for a return flight.

Edited by Tanoshi

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

She'd had no idea what a re- entry permit was for until I explained, although she's seen plenty.

She's fully aware and trained on Thailand's Immigration requirements and as long as the passenger has a valid Visa or Extension, they look no further. Having a re-entry permit is not a requirement for the airline to refuse boarding, that's an issue for Immigration when they land.

Even the API system doesn't detect a problem with entry to Thailand on a valid extension without re-entry permit, because they'd still be allowed to entry regardless.

Only when having no valid Visa or Extension will they check nationality requirements against entry to Thailand and check their flight itinerary for a return flight.

Thank you for information.... Hope people get a grip now

glegolo

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The will certainly look for and accept a re-entry permit.

That is not the first thing they look for though as has been suggested here.

Edited by Tanoshi

15 hours ago, uncleeagle said:

From which airport will you be flying back to BKK in due course? If from LHR or Paris (CDG), then I can definitely say that you won't encounter any problems in boarding a return TG flight with a valid re-entry permit from either of those 2 airports, based on personal experiences over the past couple of years.

Something which you should bear in mind, though, is that it is the re-entry permit - and not extension of stay - number which you should enter in the "Visa no." box in the TM6 arrival card which will be handed to you during the flight. It might also be a good idea for you to write RE-ENTRY PERMIT against this box for the sake of clarity to the IO who will stamp you back in at BKK, as I have done when returning from foreign trips in recent years.

35 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That is not the first thing they look for though as has been suggested here.

I am not sure that is always the case.

I have seen reports on the forum of people being question about not having a visa when checking in for flights and the re-entry permit had to be shown to them.

As I wrote before not everybody has an extension. Some people would only have a entry/admitted until stamp and a re-entry permit.

25 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Even the API system doesn't detect a problem with entry to Thailand on a valid extension without re-entry permit, because they'd still be allowed entry regardless.

What if someone who has an extension, fails to get a re-entry permit and is from a country not entitled to visa exempt entry? Are you saying that the airline check in correctly allows the person to travel anyway? I doubt that is true. It is much more likely that, like even many who have spent years in Thailand, the check in staff do not properly understand the difference between visa, permission to stay, extension of permission to stay and re-entry permit. The rules they are supposed to follow are designed to weed out travelers who do not have a right to enter Thailand. The re-entry permit works like a visa, the extension of permission to stay does not. I am not surprised that regular check in staff do not understand this, but their supervisor should.

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not sure that is always the case.

As I wrote before not everybody has an extension. Some people would only have entry/admitted until stamp.

And even with a 'used' stamp across a single entry Non Imm O Visa that hasn't reached it's enter before date, or an Extension with 'permission to stay until...…..'  and having no re-entry permit will the airline flag that as a reason to refuse boarding, because entry will still be granted regardless.

Neither will they inform you of the fact that because you don't have re-entry permit, you'll only get a 30 day Visa exempt entry and technically and to avoid being refused entry (at which point the airline may have to return to you at their cost) you need a return ticket in order to board to comply with Thailand's regulations on Visa exempt entry.

Indeed Immigration always issue a 30 day Visa exempt entry in these situations.

The airlines main concern is having a passenger with no valid Visa or Extension to enter Thailand. They know they'll get a Visa exempt or Visa on Arrival, but they'll check for a return ticket or refuse boarding for fear of the applicant being refused and they have to return him to the point of origin.

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Indeed Immigration always issue a 30 day Visa exempt entry in these situations.

The airlines main concern is having a passenger with no valid Visa or Extension to enter Thailand. They know they'll get a Visa exempt or Visa on Arrival, but they'll check for a return ticket or refuse boarding for fear of the applicant being refused and they have to return him to the point of origin.

You seem to of forgotten not everybody is from a country that can get a visa exempt entry or a visa on arrival.

I think there are more countries whose citizens that don't get them than those that do. List of those that do is here. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA_แก้ไข 15-03-61.pdf

28 minutes ago, BritTim said:

What if someone who has an extension, fails to get a re-entry permit and is from a country not entitled to visa exempt entry? Are you saying that the airline check in correctly allows the person to travel anyway? I doubt that is true. It is much more likely that, like even many who have spent years in Thailand, the check in staff do not properly understand the difference between visa, permission to stay, extension of permission to stay and re-entry permit. The rules they are supposed to follow are designed to weed out travelers who do not have a right to enter Thailand. The re-entry permit works like a visa, the extension of permission to stay does not. I am not surprised that regular check in staff do not understand this, but their supervisor should.

No, I'm merely stating a re-entry permit is not the first thing they look at when they check for eligibility of entry to Thailand, as has been suggested.

Having confirmed your ID and Nationality a Visa, an Extension, or lack of, is then the first thing they look for.

If the check in operator has any doubts she can call a manager who should be fully trained in these matters.

In the case where someone has an extension, fails to get a re-entry permit, but is on the list of Countries entitled to Visa exempt entry, the airline allows boarding whether you have a re-entry permit or not. A re-entry permit only becomes important in the situation you highlight and most check in operators would need to call for a managers assistance in those circumstances.

Then and only then does the significance and importance of a valid re-entry permit become evident to the average check in staff.

Edited by Tanoshi

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You seem to of forgotten not everybody is from a country that can get a visa exempt entry or a visa on arrival.

I think there are more countries whose citizens that don't get them than those that do. List of those that do is here. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA_แก้ไข 15-03-61.pdf

I haven't forgotten Joe, I'm specifically talking about departures from the UK.

98% of passengers departing for Thailand will have British or Thai nationalities.

I have sometimes had it queried at check in. Always referred to a supervisor, after which no problems. However, Thai Airways at Suvarnabhumi refused my Thai wife check in with a one way ticket, even with a Schengen family visa. There was no arguing with them ( I was not there, but spoke to check in desk by phone). So she missed the flight and I had to rebook her, at vast extra cost and a night in a hotel, and with a return ticket. Now I always book her a return ticket! Then as the original ticket was paid in cash, could only get a refund in Thailand at a TA office. Grrr..

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

The extension of permission to stay confers to more right to enter Thailand than the original permission to stay. It does not surprise me that many check in staff are unfamiliar with the rules (which are not common for other countries) but the reality is that an extension of stay is completely irrelevant as far as right to enter Thailand is concerned.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

They are only interested in a visa or re-entry permit if they know their job.

You cannot be denied entry to Thailand for not having a return ticket.

An extension of stay isn't valid unless you have a re-entry permit, which is why a re-entry permit is what they should only be concerned about.

Yes they can. They can insist the airline return any passenger that is refused entry. They remain the responsibility of the carrier until granted entry to the country.

• Like 1