Bamboo poles wanted

I need to get hold of about 2 dozen bamboo poles - about the size of a large fishing rod.

I could also do with various other sizes  for cutting up and shaping.

Does anyone know of a timer merchant on Samui that carries a stock of bamboo?

Fresh water or sea fishing rod?

I don't want to sound dismissive but pretty much any Thai person you know will be able to get what you want. You know it grows everywhere right? … I mean, it's like looking to buy daisies. 

Anywhere in the background with the background being the hills that surround Lamai. Just take a parang with you.

SAM_0074.thumb.JPG.3f1c0bfae906d6d34260e953aba3065a.JPG

There is also a place on the road from Nathon to Thanon where you can get dried larger pieces that are used for making salas and such.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, notmyself said:

This whole thread seems somewhat surreal but maybe it's just me. Do people, and by that I mean residents rather than tourists, pay for things like bamboo, bananas, coconuts and such like?

yes - they do.  

On 7/23/2018 at 8:14 AM, PoorSucker said:

I been looking for daisies, please tell me where I can get them. 

They have their own thread ?

Back on topic; We help ourselves and have never had a problem. All you need is a bill-hook & a Thai speaker.

HTH

image.jpeg.aca316cfd7949c0b34bbc456c659ea1a.jpeg

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Surprises me how misinformed some people are about bboth crops and bamboo .... some people  who appardently live on Samui.

You might also want to hear in mind that anything on a 19 degree incline technically is property of the crown.

Coconuts, bananas and even bamboo are crops...if you think you can just take what you want, you are mistaken.

I wont bother following this thread for information....humour maybe. 

6 hours ago, kwilco said:

Surprises me how misinformed some people are about bboth crops and bamboo .... some people  who appardently live on Samui.

You might also want to hear in mind that anything on a 19 degree incline technically is property of the crown.

Coconuts, bananas and even bamboo are crops...if you think you can just take what you want, you are mistaken.

No one objects to the odd bit of bamboo from a hedgerow that clearly isn't uniformly standing as if planted for harvest. Think 'Dandilion' and who would miss those at home.Having sought local advice you could at least have the grace to accept/acknowledge it and apply common sence as to how you proceed.

Fruit or nuts are a separate issue not relevant to your OP.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:46 PM, kwilco said:

Far out!

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:55 AM, evadgib said:

No one objects to the odd bit of bamboo from a hedgerow that clearly isn't uniformly standing as if planted for harvest. Think 'Dandilion' and who would miss those at home.Having sought local advice you could at least have the grace to accept/acknowledge it and apply common sence as to how you proceed.

Fruit or nuts are a separate issue not relevant to your OP.

Well written and I would go further than non-objection and say it's part of cultural tradition... think village life and sharing with others, like sharing a meal. If there is no monetary value as in it's being farmed then it is free for others so long as it also has no monetary value... Basically, if you want it for yourself then whatever... but you can't sell it. I think people sometimes forget the endemic kindness of Thai people because it is also a land of scams and pitfalls and history is written by the victor.

It was I who initially mentioned bananas and coconuts (and daisies) along with green bamboo.

When I first came to Thailand then Samui (groan) in '99 it was for around 3 weeks on my way to Aus for a party. I ended up spending 18 months, half of which was in a village on the mainland. Some afternoons I'd go up to the hills with the old girls of the village looking for various vegetables and though I spoke no useful Thai I learned a shedload. I learned about sharing and how to identify lots of edible plants in the bush/jungle. I took that back with me to Samui some 9 months later and just carried on in the hills surrounding Lamai. Sometimes people would ask who I was so said it was too hot to fish on the beach and was in the shade looking for vegetables for dinner. By then my Thai was better and met a few interesting people who were the same as on the mainland though slightly more westernized in that if you offered money they would take it and consider you a buffalo.

Not from your post...

A crop CAN be grown for...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop

I'm on summer (what a summer!) holiday in Europe at the moment and will not get back home for a little while yet but if you really want some then I'll do you a deal for 5000 Baht a tonne .

Yesterday afternoon we (wife) were caught in rain while walking in the hills & took refuge in a wooden shack where an elderly farmer was making charcoal a few meters away. It's a full two years since we last stumbled upon him & he nodded in approval when my wife asked if we could shelter (rain, Coconuts, Palm leaves). 

As we left a few mins later I asked my wife if the farmer (in his 80s) had climbed to place the blue netting onto each cluster of Logans that were growing on the trees. She laughed and explained that there's a device enabling farmers to do this without having to climb. When the farmer saw our interest in his trees he immediately offered to cut some for us. We thanked him & declined; My point being that just about everyone you meet going about their business as per this remote Samui farmer are wonderfully hospitable and welcoming whenever you stumble upon them as we often do.

Added a stock photo without the netting:

Related image

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I found several shops that sell Bamboo - the stuff I needed was 250 a bundle.

I'm still quite surprised by some of the daft, derisory and dim responses this simple request generated. Amazing how people will mouth off on something about which they know nothing.

BTW - there is a large shop on the ring road at Namueang.