What's The Average Thai Salary?

jeebusjones

Not everyone lives in Bangkok, in fact 60 percent of the population are in Issan.

Schoolteacher in Issan ........... 17,000bht a month

Farm worker ...................... 3,000bht a month

Hotel receptionist ................ 5,000bht a month

7/11 worker ....................... 7,500bht a month (but need high school diploma)

12 hour shifts with only 1 or 2 days off a month.

get the idea!

Edited by sarahsbloke

• 3 weeks later...
Of the Thais I've worked with in the IT industry, a good salary for an experienced Analyst would be 40-50k.

A lot were earning substantially less than that, 20-30k, and new grads less than that even.

The managers were more cagey about what they got, but I suspect that it was around 100k in some cases.

This was in a Thai company. Farang companies tend to pay more; on average.

Bonuses were usually 1x monthly salary.

I like this comment! Plan to go for farang companies (pay more $$) in future since I can speak English. I'm a Thai but mother tongue is English (Strange, huh)

Very good question, I would like to also know how they do it. I see many fancy cars, houses, etc. Were is all the money coming from if they only make about 8,000 baht a month,

Good question, what is the norm salary around BKK.

some Thai Chineses are really rich. they've been living in Thailand for many generations. if you do not talk to them deeply you wont know they are Thai Chineses. Some of older Thai Chineses still can speak a little chinese.

Does some Thai Chinese really matter of being rich than average Thai?

• 3 months later...

Most general practitioners I know at Samitivej hospital make around 400,000 baht a month.

A surgeon I know there tops around 800,000 to 1,000,000 a month easily.

Neurosurgeons at Bumrungrad come in at around 1,500,000 or so a month.

I've never heard of a Thai physician making only 45k. :)

Where did you get these numbers?

I know for a fact that surgeon at the bumrungrad makes about 150-250.000 depending on experience and field of surgery. I know this because I worked there as a GE surgeon from 2004-2007 and made about 220.000 a month. I can't believe that wages went up this much in just 3 years and I thought the Bum was one of the best paying hospitals in bangkok.

I also know that general practitioners (like my wife) make about 30-50.000 depending on the location (I haven't heard of GP's working in hospitals before).

Most waitresses earn about 300 baht a day, and the girls who are sponsored by the beer companies get a bonus of 3 baht per bottle cap of the particular beer.

I know some Thais who work in office buildings, they get 500 - 600 baht per day. It's bugger all but they live on it. Their monthly rent is only in the range of 1,800 - 3,500 baht per month. This is in Bangkok.

Most general practitioners I know at Samitivej hospital make around 400,000 baht a month.

A surgeon I know there tops around 800,000 to 1,000,000 a month easily.

Neurosurgeons at Bumrungrad come in at around 1,500,000 or so a month.

I've never heard of a Thai physician making only 45k. :)

Where did you get these numbers?

I know for a fact that surgeon at the bumrungrad makes about 150-250.000 depending on experience and field of surgery. I know this because I worked there as a GE surgeon from 2004-2007 and made about 220.000 a month. I can't believe that wages went up this much in just 3 years and I thought the Bum was one of the best paying hospitals in bangkok.

I also know that general practitioners (like my wife) make about 30-50.000 depending on the location (I haven't heard of GP's working in hospitals before).

250.000......net or gross?

Truth is, there are no hard and fast rules on salaries in Thailand.. You can't say a shop worker is expected to command this amount, while an accountant is expected to command that amount.

My girlfriend is a university graduated accountant, she has a masters in business studies and accountancy, she is also 2 years away from her doctorate. Meaning she may (if she wanted) assume the title of Dr. before her name. As it stands, she is qualified to teach accountancy and business at college level. However, she works at Nakhon Ratchasima College in the accounts department on 8300 THB per month.

She is a fluent English speaker and writer, and can also speed type on a keyboard faster than than anyone i ever saw, IN BOTH LANGUAGES.

Her brither (3 years her junior) works in BKK at a bank on 18,000 PM. Her father is a teacher at a local government school on 55,000 PM and her brother in law works at Home Pro on 18,000 PM.

She is by far the most highly educated (academically) in her family. Yet earns by far the lowest wage. She has worked at that college for 5 years and gets around 300 THB PM salary increase per year.

It is very true, that you need a university degree as a minimum requirement to work in what most would consider a job that a school leaver would be expected to do for the first few months after leaving school while they decide where they want to work.

So I am stumped as to how to evaluate what would constitute as an average (expected) wage.

I keep on and on at my girlfriend to quit the job and go out there and fulfill her potential, and use her qualifications for ALL they are worth, but she loves her job, and her friends there, and really, she see not much value in money or material things. She really only got the academic achievements to make her parents proud of her.

But to end.. like i said earlier.. no hard and fast rule. it's a very confusing picture for me, but it seems to be worked out on a number of the following factors.

Age.

Experience.

Qualifications.

Gender.

Region.

and above all, The Company you work for.

Truth is, there are no hard and fast rules on salaries in Thailand.. You can't say a shop worker is expected to command this amount, while an accountant is expected to command that amount.

My girlfriend is a university graduated accountant, she has a masters in business studies and accountancy, she is also 2 years away from her doctorate. Meaning she may (if she wanted) assume the title of Dr. before her name. As it stands, she is qualified to teach accountancy and business at college level. However, she works at Nakhon Ratchasima College in the accounts department on 8300 THB per month.

She is a fluent English speaker and writer, and can also speed type on a keyboard faster than than anyone i ever saw, IN BOTH LANGUAGES.

Her brither (3 years her junior) works in BKK at a bank on 18,000 PM. Her father is a teacher at a local government school on 55,000 PM and her brother in law works at Home Pro on 18,000 PM.

She is by far the most highly educated (academically) in her family. Yet earns by far the lowest wage. She has worked at that college for 5 years and gets around 300 THB PM salary increase per year.

It is very true, that you need a university degree as a minimum requirement to work in what most would consider a job that a school leaver would be expected to do for the first few months after leaving school while they decide where they want to work.

So I am stumped as to how to evaluate what would constitute as an average (expected) wage.

I keep on and on at my girlfriend to quit the job and go out there and fulfill her potential, and use her qualifications for ALL they are worth, but she loves her job, and her friends there, and really, she see not much value in money or material things. She really only got the academic achievements to make her parents proud of her.

But to end.. like i said earlier.. no hard and fast rule. it's a very confusing picture for me, but it seems to be worked out on a number of the following factors.

Age.

Experience.

Qualifications.

Gender.

Region.

so whats wrong with your gf you not telling ??????????? how much you giving her.............lol. something got to be affecting her desire to not earn low wages ,or she could be one of those few thai girls who dont give a darn bout baht:lol: :lol: :lol:

My sister, a Thammasat graduate, is a writer for a renowned magazine. She's been with them for nearly a year now and is on around 15k a month which is considered decent for a graduate in her field.

I don't know how much she saves a month but I would guess 30%-40% of her income.

You'd do fine if you earn more than 13k right after graduation (for social/humanities degree) and maybe 17k for a science-related degree.

Oh yes.. mrdeedee

I read a few of your posts earlier.

You are that 'member' that seems to get off by looking for posts that have the text string containing the words either "wife" or "girlfriend". So that you can make lurid little aspersions about them.

Actually, she does not worry too much for money, she has no need. She is totally happy, has a nice home, gets to travel, owns her own newly built house.

Happiness is worth more to her than money.

For the record, she would never lower herself to accept a penny from me. She pays her way always. The only thing i pay her is rent. Because i live in the house she owns. So my rent pays the mortgage, which is actually cheaper than i would be paying to rent a similar property in this area.

She has no lust for money. She probably donates 25% of her salary to temples and casket donations. She actually has a very good heart.

So there is no need to offend her integrity with your sordidly perverted mind.

Grow up, and start some of your own threads instead of sniping from the sidelines of other posts and coming out with totally (irrelevant to the topic) bullshit.

Age.

Experience.

Qualifications.

Gender.

Region.

so whats wrong with your gf you not telling ??????????? how much you giving her.............lol. something got to be affecting her desire to not earn low wages ,or she could be one of those few thai girls who dont give a darn bout baht:lol: :lol: :lol:

Surprised some of your fellow American's have not petitioned to have you removed from this site. Every post I have ever read of yours on any subject reveals your bitter twisted screwed up psyche. Why is some (previously)obscure pastor in Florida threatening to put the Koran on a bonfire when you would be a far better choice ? I mean as much as I disagree with the Koran on many points, or probably the way people chose to interpret it, I find you more disagreeable.

Oh yes.. mrdeedee

I read a few of your posts earlier.

You are that 'member' that seems to get off by looking for posts that have the text string containing the words either "wife" or "girlfriend". So that you can make lurid little aspersions about them.

Actually, she does not worry too much for money, she has no need. She is totally happy, has a nice home, gets to travel, owns her own newly built house.

Happiness is worth more to her than money.

For the record, she would never lower herself to accept a penny from me. She pays her way always. The only thing i pay her is rent. Because i live in the house she owns. So my rent pays the mortgage, which is actually cheaper than i would be paying to rent a similar property in this area.

She has no lust for money. She probably donates 25% of her salary to temples and casket donations. She actually has a very good heart.

So there is no need to offend her integrity with your sordidly perverted mind.

Grow up, and start some of your own threads instead of sniping from the sidelines of other posts and coming out with totally (irrelevant to the topic) bullshit.

how can a girl making 6300-after deductions 4 charity - afford to buy a house and travel..................as usual the poster is not telling the whole story.

how can a girl making 6300-after deductions 4 charity - afford to buy a house and travel..................as usual the poster is not telling the whole story.

Maybe she's well off to begin with?

:)

possible........maybe grandparents funded a generous trust fund for her benefit:lol: :lol: . but if she is well off to begin with why work for 8300 a month? she could do better for mankind if she worked some kind of social organization for the betterment of thai peeple.

possible........maybe grandparents funded a generous trust fund for her benefit:lol: :lol: . but if she is well off to begin with why work for 8300 a month? she could do better for mankind if she worked some kind of social organization for the betterment of thai peeple.

The most common scenario is that the parents, grandparents, etc. are holding on to the bulk of the assets and are calling most of the shots in the family (including where the kids, cousins, and nephews "should" be working) until the long awaited division of assets takes place (basically this usually happens on or around the traditional Thai "cancer diagnosis day"). Kind of a 'yeah, we know you don't need to work a day in your life, but if we just handed you the keys to the estate like Bill across the street did for Somying, well we'd probably end up swan diving off our Hua Hin condo balcony too.... so off you go to do your 5 years at K-Bank, CP, ASTV, etc., don't forget to visit often to kow tow to us!'

This is of course assuming that one of these kids is one of the X in 100,000 that would be interested in a tourist... like that orphaned Channel 3 partner's daughter... oh wait, that guy was a billionaire race car driver. Hmmm...

id rather hear the explanation form the guy paying his girls mortage(disguised as rent of course). more fun that way!

as usual the story dont make sense. maybe my problem is that things need to make sense. i dont just take things at face value of what is posted:lol: :lol: ..

ex. my girls really smart , hiso type yet makes 8300baht a month...........................huh?

3 close friends in Bangkok, late 30's, early 40's. Monthly salary

Local bank, middle management : around 50K

American company, senior marketing management : around 200K

Minor celebrity (appear in some TV shows, advertisments ...) : 300 to 500K

Couple (husband + wife) employed in a small friend's resort in Isaan : 8K + bag of rice, room provided on the premises

look at this site

Thai GDP per capita

PPP - purchasing power parity is a computed figure that is adjusted based on the cost of living in a given country (food, rent, services etc.)

As a rule, for developed countries PPP per capita is lower than the Nominal GDP pc.

for the developing once it's the other way around.

So, if you want to know the real average (not the adjusted one) then GDP (Nominal) Per Capita it is.

I know that the girls working at 7/11s 108s and other similar places get about 6 000 THB a month.

a nurse at a hospital about 15 000 THB (no less than a Bachelor), which is considered not bad in Thailand even in BKK.

My GF who works for a thai - chinese company in BKK - around 20 000 THB (a logistics office worker), also a BA.

Most BA graduates who start working at the banks, offices and such get around 10K a month give or take a few, unless it's a solid International outfit, then we are in the range of 30K right from the start.

That is all in BKK. Have no info on the employment compensation in other part of Thailand but I would guess it's very very diverse.

Edited by cyberia

I read a statistic in Guru magazine (or was it BK?) a couple of weeks ago which I thought was extremely interesting: out of the 64 million people in Thailand, only 2.4 million pay tax = only 2.4 million earn more than 20,000 baht a month.

The average doesn't mean much,there is a tiny percentage that earns A LOT and they will drag the average up. They are also the luxury shopping malls' customers.

Just an example - I was looking at Au Bon Pain's poster advertising positions with them - the salary for entry-level jobs was 8-11,000, supervisor around 14,000 and shop manager 18,000.

Tut Tut... mrdeedee

Maybe I already mentioned, I pay for the mortgage because it is CHEAPER than renting the same sort of newly built 3 bedroom detached house in very nice quiet area.

She paid the deposit from savings, and yes, even on 8300 a month a Thai person with simple demands is able to save. seeing as she lives with her parents, has no rent or bills and food to buy. She dosn't drink or smoke, and so is able to save around 5000 per month comfortably. meaning she can travel now and then and save for things like deposits on houses.

Maybe i already said... She has a masters degree in business and accountancy, so maybe she is more than a little good with figures and finance.

Maybe i already told you that in my original post, maybe I AM telling you the whole story. Maybe i was also commenting in a topical way as to the original post, Maybe you spend all your time adding comments that have never got anything to do with the op or original discussion. Maybe people need to click on your profile and read your contributions to the forum, maybe the only thread you ever started was questioning what a girl does who sits outside the local 7/11 and wondering if she is a bargurl (to quote YOUR spelling).

Maybe you have a twisted perception of everything you see around you, that always seems to morph itself into wandering if any of the main players in this story are lying on their backs for cash from farangs.

Maybe you have an obsession with the bargirl culture side of Thailand, maybe you have an obsession with sex for sale, maybe it has totally taken over your life and direction of thinking.

Maybe you are obsessed with how every female in Thailand gets their money, maybe....just maybe, you should go home, because i am not the only guy on here who thinks you have an unhealthy obsession with prostitution, in my book that is worrying. After all, the only people who had a twisted and sick perception of women and prostitutes mostly turned out to be serial killers. You and others should be worried, very worried.

Read his posts.

I was thinking briefly about that guy's comment and I think I figured it out.

She has her father who is a teacher making 55k and her brother who hustles light switches at Home Pro making 20k a month so she just inflated both of those numbers to make it seem like she comes from a better family than she does. It sounds better to a prospective bf to think "Wow, guess this won't be like my last relationship where my gf's brother stole my entire DVD collection for yabba money", then when it comes to her salary, despite being highly educated she makes less than a janitor. she is a very very very good girl though and still has time to do charity work, what a great catch she is, of course the farang was smart enough to lock her up and start paying her a monthly salary, etc. Let's just hope she isn't doing any interning near Ratchada.

Min Thai salary is around Bt.6500 (low level) so the average has to be much higher.

From the people I know:

Thai DR - 70, 000

Thai Teacher - 25 000

Chef - 8/12 000

Head chef - 60 - 90 000

Marketting - 50 000

PA for westerner company - 30 - 80 000 .

Here is something - What the average western salary in Thailand??

What the hel_l would you know about anything.... Do you think i just met this girl??????

I known her for years actually. I also live within her family unit on a daily basis.... Why do you think every Thai person is a liar and a cheat, I never mentioned she did charity work, i said she DONATES to charitable causes you total dick.

Go and find yourself a pay per night girl, as it seems to me, that is what you are constantly surrounding yourself with. Because, like mrdeedee, you seem to enjoy sitting there at your little pc, picking apart other peoples posts, and getting totally off topic so that you can offend someone....

We all know why people sit on forum sidelines waiting to offend other innocent people........imagine we were having this convo sat in a bar.... would you or mrdeedee chip in with the same contributions????.. hel_l no..

You would be far too aware that YOUR TEETH WOULD BE KNOCKED STRAIGHT DOWN YOUR THROAT. So you sit in relative safety and anonymity in your little aircon apartment with the curtain drawn and your door firmly locked.

Or maybe i am wrong... you are actually that person who came to Thailand once, for 3 weeks and humped your brains out continuously because you can't get a girl at home. That has made you obsessive about Thai girls.

Fortunately, i am not like you. I am living in a beautiful house on the cheap. I have a fantastic missus. Who has a fantastic family. I know this, i been part of it for years.

what would YOU know.

Seems to me.... people like you are missing 3 things.

backbone.

education

inteligence

Min Thai salary is around Bt.6500 (low level) so the average has to be much higher.

How was the this figure calculated, or do you have a link ??

From my understanding of the labor laws a standard working week is a maximum of 8hrs per day up to a total of 48hrs per week (6 day week) this equals a weekly salary of Bt.1236.00 (at the min BKK rate of Bt.206.00)

To make your minimum they would need to work 5.2 weeks per month.

Edited by Spoonman